Sunburn!!!

candy1567

Hi folks

Just got back from a weekend to a very sunny blackpool, had a fantastic time,BUT, didn't realise that it was sunny as was cloudy and didn't feel at all hot.

Any to cut a long story short, i got sunburnt, shoulders across back of neck and down arms to elbow, jeeze its sooooo sore.

But would gettin sunburn effect my blood sugars, have just managed to get them under better control, and an now averaging in the 6's, but since yesterday my sugars have gone up greatly, in the 10's at mostly every reading and wondered if the sunburn could be to blame as not eating any different, yes i did relax my diet a bit over the weekend, but would have thought my bloods would fluxuate, and not contatantly be high

thanks in advance

Juliexx

p.s. next time am goin abroad, never got sunburnt in my life before and i will admit today i have cried like a baby due to the pain!!!!. but the old remedy of strong cold tea really works!!!

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, sunburn can raise blood sugar levels, like any form of stress, whether physical or mental.

However, I usually find warm sunny days or long days outside don't result in sunburn, as I'm usually working in a park, sometimes under shade of trees, or running round the hills, always with adequate clothing cover (compulsory full body cover for many orienteering races, sensible for most orienteering and all work near brambles etc) and suncream if needed.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
+1 on that. Sunburn can almost be considered another kind of trauma and your body will release a whole cocktail of things to try and deal. You may find that your sugars will runn high or that you need to increase your insulin slightly until it gets better.

Last time I managed to burn myself well I tested a bit more often and just made sure I kept well hydrated.
I found I had to do more correction doses with meals but it all settled down after a few days.

Of course one thing to remember is warm days can change how quickly your body absorbs insulin and may increase its effects. SO we get back to keep testing :)

Hope your sunburn heals up soon and you end up with a nice tan instead of it just falling off.

/A

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Julie,

Sunburn just like any other injury to the body causes stress which in turn can lead to increased bg until the condition settles down, these cloudy days can be quite deceiving and I've been caught out myself from time to time.

How was Blackpool?.........haven't been there since my kids were little! :)

Nigel

candy1567

Hi Nigel

Blackpool was great, better than i expected, i havn't been there since i was about 10yrs old some erm.....30 odd yrs ago was a spare of the moment thing and britanina hotel had a late deal on so we went for it.

The weather was ok so i thought, hot enough to walk round comfortably, yeah right burnt to a crisp lol

The hotel we stayed at was ok it look fantastic from the outside but on the inside was like fawlty towers lol, we had a jacuzzi bath and in a mad drunken moment i decided to have a bath at silly oclock in the morning and put bubble bath in it, omg, bubbles everywhere we were invaded as they seeped all over the bathroom floor my hubby was livid and used a whole can of deodrient to get rid of the bubble so then we spent the next few hours not being able to breathe due to the spray as the bathroom had no window!!!

The entertainment/cabaret show was so awful it was good if that makes sense, havn't laughed so much in years so all in all a very good weekend apart from the sunburn!!

would i go again, you bet i would

Juliex

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'll keep that hotel in mind Julie! :lol:

Nigel

candy1567

hi nigel

it was the norbreck castle hotel which is part of the britania group of hotels

it looks fantastic, like a castle from the outside but the inside omg well ppl need to see it for themselves lol

cant complain though had a great time!!

Juliex

p.s. my hubby was mortified wen we got to our room, he like to be pampered with at least 4* luxury, but u get wat u pay for, as long as it has a bed, bath/shower and loo then am happy lol

anniep

As you say you get what you pay for in facilities, so just one question really - was it clean?

candy1567

@anniep

yes our room was clean, although some of the reviews on the tinternet say an awful lot about the hotel, but we found it clean/tidy but very dated and i wouldn't stay longer than a couple of days. Obviously if u want 5* treatment then u dont go to stay in this hotel, but it was a last minute decision, booked thursday night arrived 3pm on the friday and left sunday am, 70 quid for both of us for dinner bed and breakfast and 1hr free bar each night, plus the shocking entertainment which was hilarious after a couple of vodka's havn't laughed so much in ages!!

we did upgrade to eat in the more classy restaurant on the saturday, my hubby is a chef and he refused point blank to use the self service one again,

an no where not on commission or anything to do with the hotel, my original post was about sunburn, but thought i'd share the experience we had

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
candy1567 said:
hi nigel

it was the norbreck castle hotel which is part of the britania group of hotels

it looks fantastic, like a castle from the outside but the inside omg well ppl need to see it for themselves lol

cant complain though had a great time!!

Juliex

p.s. my hubby was mortified wen we got to our room, he like to be pampered with at least 4* luxury, but u get wat u pay for, as long as it has a bed, bath/shower and loo then am happy lol

Thanks Julie. Do you watch the Hotel Inspector on Channel 5, there some horror stories on there too! :lol:

Nigel

Nigel

candy1567

oh yes nigel luv programmes like that

but now am looking at putting my hubby on the naughy step indefinately, well he has been most helpful the last couple of days due to my dreadful sunburn (the pain so bad today went to gp who sent me to hospital who gave me some cream, dressed my back and shoulders and i now have to attend the burns clinic on thursday)

But back to the hubby, he has taken the week off work and is helpin out more, or looking after me as he puts it!!!! gonna strangle him, not only has he broke the hoover, he never sorted out the washing and now we have pink oven clothes, pink knickers, pink bra's, pink tea towells, pink tee shirts and blue and pink jeans oh the joys

So we didn't save any money on the cheapo holiday as we've now got to replace the hoover and all the clothes, hes now been banned from any applicance at home till he returns to work on monday!!!

Juliex