Not happy with myself

Craig381sara

Guys good morning im after a bit of advice please

Over the last 6 weeks my own health has been placed on hold (wife has been very ill and was in hospital) so in a nut shell I’ve just eaten junk and take Away’s as not got home till late and couldn’t be bothered to cook (proper food etc)

I know I’m going to get a telling off from most on heat and from my nurse on my check up

My bloods have gone from 8.2 (average ) to now 15 (big jump I know)

What’s the best way to lower it and fast as I need to get back on track

Thanks

Craig

Last edited by a moderator:

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi Craig,
I'm sorry to hear about your wife. I hope she's better now? It's hard when life doesn't comply with one's plans for better health. Apart from the obvious (Low Carb), brisk walks every day work for many of us, but I can't think of any other miracle solutions. Perhaps others have a few good tricks up their sleeves.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear about your wife and hope she’s doing a bit better.

In short, the fewer carbs the better and combined with intermittent fasting would be the quickest route to lowering BG. It’s not clear if you are on insulin or other BG lowering medication. If so, you’ll need support to adjust them accordingly.

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Craig,

Sorry to hear about your wife. Firstly, don't be too hard on yourself - it's not going to change it, and I would hope most on here will support you.

The thing is what's done is done, and today is a new day. A new opportunity to get to grips with it. I'm in the same boat with numbers and am now starting back on the road to getting them down. I find keeping a dairy/My Fitness Pal helps, I can then look at what I've eaten in a day and make changes. There's a load of opinion/advice on here and I'm sure you can find a lot of useful tips.

If you make some changes to carbs etc. you should see numbers come down quite soon. I saw a significant drop in about 3 days. I don't think there is one way that suits everyone so I do my research and pick what I think will be sustainable (but it still requires effort on my part). Check out dietdoctor.com if you're looking at low carb. There are loads of other resources on the web, but I think DD is one of the better ones.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Craig
A sure fire way of dropping your sugars fast is to do a couple of weeks of Newcastle type diet involving shakes and salad or soup
It will def drip them quickly
Let me know if you want anymore info
Craig

Reactions: Craig381sara

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find the best way to do it is to fast.. however if you haven't been following a LCHF way of eating you may find this quite hard.
Obviously you need to cut out the junk and carbs and get back to real food. How about a week of bacon and eggs. Fast and easy to prepare and should get your bloods lower than the 8's you are used to (which by the way aren't great either).

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Bacon and eggs, very quick to prepare, add some frozen spinach for a more balanced diet.
Chuck it in microvave, squeeze out excess water, knob of butter and nutmeg, if you like that.
For variation can do your bacon and eggs as an omelette, with whatever additions seen good to you.
Buy cheese slices, or ham, both good for instant snack, as are handfuls of nuts.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Things happen. None of us are perfect. So you need to forgive yourself and move on.
wishing you both better health in 2019.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Over the last 6 weeks my own health has been placed on hold (wife has been very ill and was in hospital) so in a nut shell I’ve just eaten junk and take Away’s as not got home till late and couldn’t be assed to cook (proper food etc)

I know I’m going to get a telling off from most on hear and from my nurse on my check up

Thanks

Craig
Hey @Craig381sara ,

I'm so sorry about your recent troubles. I hope your wife's all good again now. Sometimes life just gets in the way. It happens. Should you find yourself in a similar situation of not being able to have proper meals due to whatever circumstance, just go for hamburgers without the bun. They're about 5 grams of carb with the tomato, salad, extra bacon and whatnot. (It's the bun that's 30 to 40 grams of carb, and I haven't had any problems at McD's and Burger King in getting some bunless burgers.). Not something to eat for weeks straight of course, but maybe a solution for little emergencies.

As for getting BS down now, going VERY low carb could work, (keto) but I don't think you're eager for keto-flu right at this moment. But Intermittent Fasting, keto, low carb... And yeah, walks... They do get your BS down again relatively quick. Don't expect miracles, as the stress of late may be influencing your BS too. It's been a lot to carry, so give yourself a moment to get back to good eh.

No telling off from me in any case. *hug*
Jo

Moderator edit as per previous edit in OP.

Last edited by a moderator:

ViolaChiri

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Over the last 6 weeks my own health has been placed on hold (wife has been very ill and was in hospital) so in a nut shell I’ve just eaten junk and take Away’s as not got home till late and couldn’t be assed to cook (proper food etc)

I know I’m going to get a bollocking from most on hear and from my nurse on my check up

Thanks

Craig
Hi Craig sorry to hear about your wife, hope she feels better. I find that intermittent fasting does the trick for me as well as a low carb diet.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Your nurse shouldn't be giving you a telling of for this. She should ask if she can help in any way to make things easier for you and tell you that of course she understands that with your wife being so ill diabetes got on the back burner. She should praise you too for working on getting back on track so quickly.
Best wishes for the both of you!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Craig381sara sorry to hear that your wife has not been well and I hope that she will soon be on the road to recovery. Don’t be too hard on yourself as life does have a habit of derailing us from time to time and we have to prioritise what is most important. Explain to your DN what has been happening and start afresh with your diet and BS control. I’m sure you’ll be back on track in no time.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve heard that I can replace lost electrolytes and minerals etc as this will also help lower BG is this correct
Not entirely sure what you mean... When you start on a ketogenic diet you lose a lot of water weight (carbs retain water) and while you pee out a lot in the beginning, you also get rid of electrolytes, which can be replenished with bone broth or coconut milk... I don't think that in itself does anything for your bloodsugars, but it would help with keto flu. If you're worried about lack of micronutrients in foods, well, if you up the fats when you cut the carbs (Together with protein, they make up the three macronutrients), you shouldn't get any deficits.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Craig, just wanted to add my best wishes for your wife, and completely understand how it feels to put your own health on hold - I did for some years when my dad was progressively ill. I also struggle when work is busy as I now look after my elderly mum, although that is my pleasure as she's a super person.

The most helpful thing I've found for grabbing something blood-sugar friendly on the go is mini cheeses, like babybel. You can get loads of different ones, individually wrapped, and they are fine at room temperature for a day or two (cheese should never be eaten straight from the fridge anyway, in my opinion!)

I know this next one is controversial, but I also find sugar free hard sweets, particularly liquorice or humbug, a tremendous comfort when I'm very busy. Taste lovely, make you feel like you've had a treat, but (for me at least) no impact on blood sugar.

M

Member496333

Time to pick yourself up and dust yourself down, I reckon.

Most of us can empathise and have been in your position once or thrice. There’s always a spare seat on the waggon, so jump on up!

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
In the situation you have been deal with staying off the carbs is difficult and your time could be better spent looking after your good lady. Eggs have already been mentioned and you can hard boil a batch and keep them in thr fridge also if you keep cold meats and tinned salmon/tuna/sardines in the house you will always have a quick no fuss food to turn to when you have no time to cook.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope your wife is recovering well.

Life throws us a curve ball now and again.

Friday, dog went to the vet. Had a Chinese.
Saturday, dog passed. Chippy dinner, Chinese supper.
Yesterday Chinese.

Today, pulled myself together, tomorrow is the new year. A new start. Not beating myself up. **** happens.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Food you can make in short order - scrambled eggs, grated cheese and a sliced tomato on top, salmon or tuna salad, bacon and eggs - faster than standing in a queue waiting for food.
There are supermarkets with hot meat counters, packs of frozen mixed veges which can be cooked in the bowl you eat them from - I have kitchen toys such as slow cookers and hot air fryers which have timers - food can simmer all day or be cooking whilst you take a shower - just a little preparation can turn things around for you, I am sure.