Great start to New Year!

Cyclospora

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was first diagnosed in 2011 as pre-diabetic. I think my HbA1C was 47. I got down to 41 6 months later and was told to carry on the good work! I was given a monitor and strips on prescription but I basically played the system - cheating myself. I would eat what I wanted up until a few weeks before my annual check and then cut out carbs. My results always hovered in the high 40s and low 50s. Sometimes I was asked to go back in 3 months and I would always only just do enough. I was always threatened with Metformin which I refused and promised to do better. It usually worked.

3 months ago I went for my annual check and my HbA1C was 69. What a wake up call. I agreed that the time had come for Metformin and said that I would be off it in Jan 19. The nurse told me not to bank on it as "most people don't". I tool my first tablet the next day and suffered side effects. Luckily I was working from home! I decided then to wait until I came back from the cruise I was going on the following day. I also decided to get a grip and sort myself out! It was really easy to go low carb on the ship as there was so much choice! I also walked at least 12000 steps a day for 2 weeks. I still test myself and now have to buy my own strips but it's better than buying pasties and cakes! When I came back I told the nurse that I was going to keep on with the LCHF and walking and was not going to start Metformin. She asked me to have the test repeated in 3 months to make sure that I had made progress. If I hadn't she would advise a different medication.

I've just had my result - 43! I've also lost over a stone and have dropped a dress size for the first time in about 10 years! My taste has also changed too. Give me cheese over chocolate any day. :)

Can't wait for my appointment on the 9th :)

Thanks to everyone for posting their success stories. They are inspiring and I hope that I can help anyone reading this and wondering whether to make the effort. Do it!

Happy New Year!

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on your last three months work - looks like you’ve really taken control and managed to turn things around.
Wishing you a happy and healthy low carb 2019 - you’ve got these amazing results so should be very motivated to carry on. Congratulations on what you’ve achieved very very well done

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done! Keep up the good work and stick around, you’ll be an inspiration to others :)

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Cyclospora Well Done You!!! Brilliant result! I think the complete change in mindset is absolutely the key. And the change in taste preferences is massive! When you have achieved both you have success! I just know you’ll keep this up and be a ‘lifer’! join the club.

Cyclospora

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was first diagnosed in 2011 as pre-diabetic. I think my HbA1C was 47. I got down to 41 6 months later and was told to carry on the good work! I was given a monitor and strips on prescription but I basically played the system - cheating myself. I would eat what I wanted up until a few weeks before my annual check and then cut out carbs. My results always hovered in the high 40s and low 50s. Sometimes I was asked to go back in 3 months and I would always only just do enough. I was always threatened with Metformin which I refused and promised to do better. It usually worked.

3 months ago I went for my annual check and my HbA1C was 69. What a wake up call. I agreed that the time had come for Metformin and said that I would be off it in Jan 19. The nurse told me not to bank on it as "most people don't". I tool my first tablet the next day and suffered side effects. Luckily I was working from home! I decided then to wait until I came back from the cruise I was going on the following day. I also decided to get a grip and sort myself out! It was really easy to go low carb on the ship as there was so much choice! I also walked at least 12000 steps a day for 2 weeks. I still test myself and now have to buy my own strips but it's better than buying pasties and cakes! When I came back I told the nurse that I was going to keep on with the LCHF and walking and was not going to start Metformin. She asked me to have the test repeated in 3 months to make sure that I had made progress. If I hadn't she would advise a different medication.

I've just had my result - 43! I've also lost over a stone and have dropped a dress size for the first time in about 10 years! My taste has also changed too. Give me cheese over chocolate any day. :)

Thanks to everyone for posting their success stories. They are inspiring and I hope that I can help anyone reading this and wondering whether to make the effort. Do it!

Happy New Year!
Thank you all very much for your lovely comments! I have found a downside though. It's very easy to turn into the Carb Police!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

Happy New Year!
Well done @Cyclospora :) :) :)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Happy New Year!

Loved reading this. You have taken control. I think more and more people are being directed to this site. It's just so inspirational with stories like yours, and the support system is second to non. The forum members are just amazing. Your DN said most never get off metformin. I think those patients are the ones heeding the current guidelines in my opinion. You are doing amazingly well. Thanks for sharing.

D

Deleted member 444941

Don't worry about joining the " carb Police" because we need them in the background. Thats not just for the benefit of diabertics either! Good luck and keep going.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Cyclospora I can assure you that you will enroll in the Carb Police. A lady in the queue behind me in the Co-Op had bought water and a green smoothie, when I pointed our how much sugar it contained, she thanked me and put it back on the shelf. I have also shown shoppers, who have picked up low fat fruit yogurts, how much is in that and they have changed their minds.

Reactions: Alison Campbell