mylife YpsoPump accessories

HaydenB

Hi there

I have recently started with my first pump - the mylife YpsoPump. All good so far but I'd appreciate advice around where to obtain a decent belt/holster. I have a belt clip that works well for some scenarios - such as work but am struggling when out & active. Tried a lanyard but not keen on having it bouncing around when running etc.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @HaydenB Hsve a look on eBay there’s plenty of pump belts on there, I use a Lycra belt which is comfortable and keeps it out of the way for exercise and sleep.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @HaydenB I'm unable to add more than you have from Juicyj but would be very interested on how you find this newer pump and controlling via the phone app ?, I will need to change in a year or so and this was one of the ones my team told me about.

I see they do not advertise support for Apple Mac's only PC's, that would be an issue for me.

Last edited:

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
A SPI Belt can get this done.

Chickenboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @HaydenB hope you dont mind me asking you the question but I've just been approved for a pump and the Ypsopump is one of the options. From what I can see from the playstore there is no option to remote bolus from the app. It looks like they are developing this for a future app. Can you confirm if this is the case? It's a bit of a showstopper for me if you can't remote bolus.

HaydenB

Thanks all for the input - I'll give a lycra belt ago.

Regarding the Ypsopump - this is my first pump so I can't provide a comparison but can say:

• The App is useful but will be much better once the app can actually operate the pump. The bolus remote control was a determining factor for me & I am informed that this function will be rolled out next year. I needed to get fixed up with a pump quickly so decided to make do until the function is delivered. I also use a libre Flash Glucose Monitor, readings for which will also (eventually) be integrated into the app.
  • I use the app on an iPhone & access the mylife site OK via my MacBook Pro.
  • The pump size & weight is good - it's not too intrusive when compared to others I viewed.
  • I like the 360-degree insertion set - this allows me to move things around as needed without effort.
  • I do note that the reading of my pump by the app (via Bluetooth) isn't as sharp as it was when I first installed the app. It can now take up to 2 minutes for the app to connect to my phone when opened. That said I'm using an older iPhone (6S). I have an enquiry open with Ypsomed as to whether this is specific to older devices or the recent iOS updates.
I hope this helps?!

Reactions: kitedoc

Chickenboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the info @HaydenB That's really helpful. The remote bolus is quite important for me too. Due to get the pump mar/apr next year so hopefully it will be ready for then

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @HaydenB its great to hear that managing via Apple computer / phone devices which was my main concern.

Bit worrying to hear that the app connection can take 2 mins, be interested what your told.

By the way there should be no engineering reason why an 6S iPhone should be any slower using BT connection unless its memory is full or you have too many other App's open at the same time which would also impact newer phones too. If memory is filling up try download photo's/video's/films to your mac book and clear some memory or delete unused app's. Please let us know how you get on with this.

I'd been told that bolus via remote had just been released by my consultant, so its interesting to hear it due next year. Maybe its being trialled first. I guess the App works it out for you today and you manually enter it.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I do note that the reading of my pump by the app (via Bluetooth) isn't as sharp as it was when I first installed the app. It can now take up to 2 minutes for the app to connect to my phone when opened. That said I'm using an older iPhone (6S). I have an enquiry open with Ypsomed as to whether this is specific to older devices or the recent iOS updates.
I'm betting this is an issue with updates to iOS given the number of changes that keep having to be done on Loop with each update.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've seen lots of people complaining about IOS updates, I always have the latest and I've never had any issues but then I do not have too many Apps open and I have plenty of free memory. Most people I've spoken too have had too many apps open or not enough free memory (something that is impacted by IOS updates), fixing these normally brings back operation.

With regards to Loop it could be a mixture of what I've mentioned and/or its BT design therefore needing regular updates.

No criticism intended for the Loop developers, they have done a great job. But its very costly to implement and design an external interface like BT, as you need to think well beyond the specification and cover those things that might have been done on the third party device that could be either wrong or poorly undertaken, as well as future corrections they might make. Its a hard task assessing the risk and how much effort your going to spend on it :)

Last edited:

HaydenB

After a bit of chasing, I am now informed that a fix for the Bluetooth issue (yes, so there is an acknowledged issue with mylife app, Ypsopump Bluetooth connectivity) is due 20-Dec. A little weird that they are releasing so close to the holiday period but I'll take it so long as it works and doesn't mess anything else up.

No other details around what else, if anything, is part of this release so will have to wait on the release notes.

@Jollymon - SPI belt acquired & working a treat.

Reactions: Jollymon

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
SPI belts are light, easy, and hold things tight. I have 2. A single pocket pouch, and the 2 pocket version. For long runs sometimes I wear both to keep me organized.

HaydenB

20-Dec came and went with no update! I am now informed that the update is due 2-Feb.
Not great.
@Chickenboy - Based on the app being a fundamental feature of the Ypsopump and also a point of failure I'd hold back on this being your choice of pump until Ypsomed can display a good control over IOS versioning and changes required. There have been 5 IOS updates since the most recent MyLife app update and with an acknowledged issue taking this long to address it doesn't bode well for any future updates.

Chickenboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @HaydenB. I've now opted for Omnipod after much deliberation. Hopefully ypsomed sort it out quickly!

EricW2004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you are well and your diabetes management is going ok. I am going onto a pump this year, fingers crossed, and need to choose a pump by tomorrow. I am hesitating between Tandem TSlim and Ypsopump. You don't seem to have had any replies. I see there is criticism of the Ypsopump canulas on this forum. What do you think?

Ermintrude75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you contact Ypsopump they can give you a belt. I got one in my box which I use at night as I’m a restless sleeper