FREESTYLE LIBRE - Refused point blank

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Visited my GP's today for my 6 month check up from the local Diabetic nurse.

Her initial question was "are you type 1 or 2?" as I've been type 1 since 1981 & at the surgery since 1992 I was a little taken aback especially when she started having a pop because my HA1Bc has gone down from 55 to 43 in 4 months since my last blood test.
I took this as an opportunity to try for the Libre & started to explain why my levels have been lower. I explained about my new roll at my employers (38 years service) being at times a lot more labour intensive & having to regularly take time out to go & check my levels (this takes me about 15 - 20 minutes, washing off, getting my meter doing the test & trying to sort myself out) it is awkward & at times I do struggle, plus there is a bit of resentment from supervision if I am having a particular bad day.

I requested to go on the libre to possibly save my job & my health - I was told in no uncertain terms "Not a chance - costs too much, you are wrong age (55) & apart from possible hypos you are in good health, I was gob smacked, she then complained my blood pressure was a bit high (no surprise there) Wished me a merry Christmas & said see you again in 6 months time.

Where I live has the unfortunate stigma of having the 2nd lowest male life expectancy in the whole of the UK & now I think I know why as the local health authority do not seem to want to do anything about these statistics because if they do it will cost money!

I came out of the surgery in a bit of a state of shock, I feel worthless it seems the 17-20k I pay every year in tax & national insurance is not worthy of an extra couple of quid to keep me healthy & possibly save my job.

In all my years as a diabetic I have had very very little in the way of "new things" I only got on the DAFNE course in 2016 (& that was hardly new as it has been around for nearly as long as I have been type1) & that is the 1st time in over 30 years as a diabetic that ANYONE has sat me down & explained properly about this condition.

I feel very down about this & I don't know who to talk to or where to go but one sentence of advise to fellow type 1's - don't go moving to Blackpool South.
From April 2019 all ''eligible' diabetics should be able to have Freestyle Libre. CCG's criteria will vary but they must publish what their criteria are. Could also try writing to your MP to put pressure on your CCG. Don't just accept what the nurse has said, fight your corrner, we'll all be rooting for you!

Keith_Simpson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Visited my GP's today for my 6 month check up from the local Diabetic nurse.

Her initial question was "are you type 1 or 2?" as I've been type 1 since 1981 & at the surgery since 1992 I was a little taken aback especially when she started having a pop because my HA1Bc has gone down from 55 to 43 in 4 months since my last blood test.
I took this as an opportunity to try for the Libre & started to explain why my levels have been lower. I explained about my new roll at my employers (38 years service) being at times a lot more labour intensive & having to regularly take time out to go & check my levels (this takes me about 15 - 20 minutes, washing off, getting my meter doing the test & trying to sort myself out) it is awkward & at times I do struggle, plus there is a bit of resentment from supervision if I am having a particular bad day.

I requested to go on the libre to possibly save my job & my health - I was told in no uncertain terms "Not a chance - costs too much, you are wrong age (55) & apart from possible hypos you are in good health, I was gob smacked, she then complained my blood pressure was a bit high (no surprise there) Wished me a merry Christmas & said see you again in 6 months time.

Where I live has the unfortunate stigma of having the 2nd lowest male life expectancy in the whole of the UK & now I think I know why as the local health authority do not seem to want to do anything about these statistics because if they do it will cost money!

I came out of the surgery in a bit of a state of shock, I feel worthless it seems the 17-20k I pay every year in tax & national insurance is not worthy of an extra couple of quid to keep me healthy & possibly save my job.

In all my years as a diabetic I have had very very little in the way of "new things" I only got on the DAFNE course in 2016 (& that was hardly new as it has been around for nearly as long as I have been type1) & that is the 1st time in over 30 years as a diabetic that ANYONE has sat me down & explained properly about this condition.

I feel very down about this & I don't know who to talk to or where to go but one sentence of advise to fellow type 1's - don't go moving to Blackpool South.

Having tried the Libre & seen first hand how inaccurate it can be, I would suggest not to fret too much that they wouldn't let you try it because decisions are best made based on accurate glucose readings. Having said that it is worth articulating to your diabetic nurse what you have written above, yes to get a load off your chest but also for the sake of other patients. My GP tried to fob me off with a cheaper test kit than the ones I had bought for myself. You get what you pay for & readings were not in the same ball park as the ones [3 different] I already had. She asked me to take it up with the prescribing authority which I did & in the end they authorised test strips to be prescribed for my test kit.

crazyhenlady

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Keep fighting for it. It took me a year of emails to my ccg, gp and dsn at the surgery Basicallt i didnt fit thr criteria for the libre as my control was too good!!!
I finally got a call from my dsn to say that the criteria had become less stringent and I could have a 6 month trial. I am now 2 months into that trial and enjoying much easier monitoring and better control. Let's hope cgm's become available to all type 1 diabetic without this fight.
Good luck

MicheleJC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you under the care of a hospital? Personally I don't bother turning up (or booking- I don't waste appointments) for GPs 'diabetic checks' as they are a waste of time. From everything I see DSNs used in the loosest term have an interest but have no real idea unless they are working under a professor.
I find the same - in actual fact we no longer have any DSNs at my GPs or in my clinic. Like many of us I do loads of blood tests and think I am losing the hypo awareness that I used to have. My average results when I attend clinic are 'good' but I know I have too many highs, Plus the lows I'm not aware of unless I'm testing constantly. I can't afford to buy the libres any more and don't fit the criteria for free ones where I live.
Michele (pumper, coeliac, hypo thyroid)