Please don’t stop posting...

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn't it strange? I can resist almost everything as long as it hasn't been opened even if it is on show but once that wrapper is off Bam! I'm on it like a blummin' greyhound. Sigh...

I’ve resorted to storing high percentage cocoa chocolate in the freezer!

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wagon? What wagon? That thing raced off months ago without me on it. I have now caught up with it and have had my first day back travelling along with it. This WILL be the year that I finally get it all sorted.

Reactions: jpscloud and Prem51

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
So far this year (my first since diagnosis) I've had the following
one small roast potato with a turkey dinner
one 40g slice of christmas cake
one mince pie with the top layer of pastry removed (binned)
over a seven day period.
I planned carefully, and made almond flour pastry, fake sage and onion stuffing, etc, etc.

So I was feeling very virtuous, until yesterday. A friend, who just not get it, arrived at lunchtime with fish and chips. I ate a few chips and the fish with half the batter. I managed to throw the rest of the chips out (my food wastage has gone up this last few months!)
Today I am back on the wagon but my carb craving are sky high.

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
Five years since diagnosis and immediately on low carb/exercise following Newcastle diet for first 6 months then low carb and sensible eating and exercise since. Lost 5.5 stones in 6 months. HbA1c between 4.8-4.9 since. No adverse effects. Off diabetes register though doctor insists on annual check-ups. Watch weight and if put on more than 7 lbs get it off again.
I have read the research and think for me this is the way ahead. But each of us has to find what works for us.

mefunk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

This is addressed to everyone (not just the low carbers) who have fallen off their wagon over Xmas.
Doesn’t matter what particular wagon it is.

Every year we get posters who go AWOL around this time year. Could be the roasties, the Tin of Quality St, the extra special superdooper family recipe eggnog...
Whatever the cause, they disappear. Starts as one day, then it grows, and grows... amazing how far ‘just one more’ will take you.
Sometimes it can last til April, if you let it.

Well, I am encouraging you to get that meter back out.
Stop buying your version of kryptonite (whatever your brand of kryptonite happens to be).
And just keep reading and posting on the forum.
You will find you are very much NOT alone, and that clambering back on your particular wagon is really much easier when you aren’t going it alone.

Don’t feel guilty.
Don’t feel ashamed.
Just keep in touch.
:D
We’ve all been there.

What a fantastic and encouraging post this was! - followed by dozens and dozens of wonderfully personal responses. Just goes to show how much in common we have in dealing with the same issues and how important the support network is to all of us. Happy New Year to everyone.

Reactions: Guzzler and Prem51

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Five years since diagnosis and immediately on low carb/exercise following Newcastle diet for first 6 months then low carb and sensible eating and exercise since. Lost 5.5 stones in 6 months. HbA1c between 4.8-4.9 since. No adverse effects. Off diabetes register though doctor insists on annual check-ups. Watch weight and if put on more than 7 lbs get it off again.
I have read the research and think for me this is the way ahead. But each of us has to find what works for us.

Fab to see you @paulins . I thought of you when I was up in your city at a conference in November. I wondered how you were doing.

Reactions: Brunneria

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
Fab to see you @paulins . I thought of you when I was up in your city at a conference in November. I wondered how you were doing.

How kind! I have kept an eye on the forum and posted occassionally but didn’t feel I had anything new to say! I behave like an alcoholic in my head- I don’t have any sugar products as I think that just like an alcoholic it would be me on the slippery slope again! I never eat rice, potatoes (though have found that sweet potatoes do nothing to my BS levels) pasta or bread (though spelt pasta and spelt bread raise levels only slightly) so have both occasionally). My GP keeps telling me life is for living and that I should have an occasional treat but I know myself too well!
My sister is a great baker and makes sugar and carb free cakes and puddings for me for special occasions. I have learned so much from this forum and am so grateful for that.
I started the Newcastle diet the day after my GP told me I had type 2 diabetes so never really dealt with diabetes.
The weight loss meant that another serious disease was diagnosed early so I think that for me diabetes possibly saved my life.

Reactions: Pipp and Prem51

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How kind! I have kept an eye on the forum and posted occassionally but didn’t feel I had anything new to say! I behave like an alcoholic in my head- I don’t have any sugar products as I think that just like an alcoholic it would be me on the slippery slope again! I never eat rice, potatoes (though have found that sweet potatoes do nothing to my BS levels) pasta or bread (though spelt pasta and spelt bread raise levels only slightly) so have both occasionally). My GP keeps telling me life is for living and that I should have an occasional treat but I know myself too well!
My sister is a great baker and makes sugar and carb free cakes and puddings for me for special occasions. I have learned so much from this forum and am so grateful for that.
I started the Newcastle diet the day after my GP told me I had type 2 diabetes so never really dealt with diabetes.
The weight loss meant that another serious disease was diagnosed early so I think that for me diabetes possibly saved my life.

I so remember that other diagnosis, and I remember all too well how you tackled it. I also sometimes refer to it to folks in similar positions, concerned about how they'll manage their (usually) LC lifestyle with it all.

I'm so pleased to hear you remain hale and hearty.

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I so remember that other diagnosis, and I remember all too well how you tackled it. I also sometimes refer to it to folks in similar positions, concerned about how they'll manage their (usually) LC lifestyle with it all.

I'm so pleased to hear you remain hale and hearty.

I have updated my signature as I am now five years on so you can see how I am doing. It is possible, but there is no doubt that it can be hard work and at times I get really fed up with it. But then I remind myself that the possible alternatives are much worse!

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a fantastic and encouraging post this was! - followed by dozens and dozens of wonderfully personal responses. Just goes to show how much in common we have in dealing with the same issues and how important the support network is to all of us. Happy New Year to everyone.
Couldn't agree more! Wonderful to see @Chook and @paulins back, and others, and to read the encouragement from all. It's also wonderful to realise that my virtually single-handedly polishing off a pressie box of Hotel Chocolat Less Sweet Sleekster (not all in one day I might add) wasn't the end of the world. Well, not quite! Luckily there were some HC cacao & peppermint tea bags as well so I could feel virtuous. Sort of :angelic: The tea bags are really gorgeous, like drinking minty choc, if you haven't tried them.

Wishing everyone a happy, peaceful, joyful and whatever-you-wish-for 2019.

1954jessy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Fallen off the wagon hard this year. Need to get back on. It's not the meal times it's snack that we still have from Christmas. Help

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Hi @1954jessy I’m so sorry you’re stuck. Hugs! Can you bear to just throw all those snack foods out, in a trash can far from your house? I know too well the call of the food in the garbage can. Sometimes I will change a cat box (the nastiest one!) just so I can permanently get rid of a food into the nasty wet clay with no hope of scrounging it out again.
Keep coming back! We all want your company, and there’s strength in numbers

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Or if unopened give them to a foodbank collection - there are often collection bins in supermarkets for donations.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fallen off the wagon hard this year. Need to get back on. It's not the meal times it's snack that we still have from Christmas. Help

Don’t beat yourself up Jessy. Please.

There is only one thing you have to worry about - and that is the next thing you are going to eat.
If you decide it will be smaller/lower carb/closer to your ideal eating, and you manage it. Then you can pat yourself on the back.
One mouthful, one step, one pat-on-the-back at a time.

Can you get nicer, better, more appropriate snack in? For me, that would be MY preferred 70% dark choc. MY preferred cheeses, and some lovely low carb nuts. Then I can still snack, still enjoy, and do it with a totally clear conscience. :)

Reactions: ReversingT2