Omnipod site infections... help!

backarini

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,
I am now on antibiotics after an Omnipod change on the back of my arm- changed it as normal in the evening, put a new pod on the other arm, and woke up the next morning with an aching arm, a warm hard and red abscess type sore where the cannula was and a very swollen, starting to track patch of skin.
Went to the Drs and they’ve put me on flucloxicillin (I have a whitlow in my toe too, so I know I’m run down).
I changed my pod again last night and removed it from the other arm, and the just-used site is red and hot like the other one. I did do quite a long extended bolus yesterday but it should be able to cope with it!?
Hoping my antibiotics will kick it into touch.

I’ve only been on Omnipod 6 weeks (was on accu chek spirit for 6 years before and never had it this bad) and I’m getting so disillusioned with it.
Any advice, anything I might be doing wrong or anything I should try? Feeling really quite down and depressed.

I’m also petrified of exercising with the Omnipod as I’m terrified it’s going to fall off or come loose... any advice on this too?

Thanks!

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@backarini - I'll tag ourr frriend, @Mel dCP , as she's both an Omnipod user and has rrecently had a sore spot somewhere, so she may have some insight to help you along.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Afternoon! Thanks for the tag. I’ve had one infected site, on my thigh - a week of flucloxacillin sorted it out but I still have a mark two month later - a good way to avoid that site for a bit, I suppose! I always use a steret wipe before putting a new pod on - I wipe the top of my insulin vial and the site on my skin with them.

If I’m more active than normal and my pod feel like it might be vulnerable, I shove a strip of rock tape over the whole thing.

Reactions: DCUKMod

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @backarini, I assume that you were started on the Omnipod to help improve your BSLs?
So, being run down might have been due to the previous BSLs and with still getting used to the Omnipod maybe?
I have a different pump to the Omnipod but the same precautions apply to having cleaned skin and hands, and making sure the needle does not touch anything until it is applied to the skin site.
I know from the past that my skin would sometimes break out in pimples etc when I was not well and I was advised to use a skin antiseptic to the whole of my skin for a while. As well as seeing the doctor about the infections themselves it may be worth asking about skin cleaning- the pros and cons.
Reading up on flucloxacillin (drugs.com) I noted that with continued treatment past 2 to 4 courses (about 12 to 24 days) people can be at more risk of liver problems so please bear that in mind if you need an extended course.
There may be other treatment needed perhaps if an abscess forms as I gather that antibiotics cannot get to the centre of an abscess and cure it so drainage is what may be required.
Best Wishes that it all settles quickly !!!:):):)

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’ve been using the Omnipod for over 6 six years but had a staflococci infection about 6 months after starting, it resolved with antibiotics quickly and I was cautious about cleanliness for a few months after and then reverted to usual non special cleansing, slovenly ways and all has been fine so think I was just unlucky. Re sport and keeping the pods on, I haven’t had problems but do use Lycra arm bands on my arms to help keep them on and the larger Lycra ones on my calves but otherwise ithey stay on fine but think they’re happy with my skin type.

Reactions: kitedoc