Resolved to reverse t2 for the second time

lisa5466

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Feeling exhausted all the time
I was originally diagnosed in 2013, managed to reverse it until life got in the way & I slipped back resulting in HBA1C of 80 in November 2018

New year new beginnings...so today was day 1 of Newcastle diet & exercise programme.
Went for a 4.2km run @ 9:30 this morning and had my 800 calls of shakes.
I’ve ditched my bathroom scales as this is about bg levels and I’m usually obsessed with my weight, falling off the wagon easily when the lbs don’t melt away.
Going to check in daily with updates for anyone who is interested in following (or joining me ) but also as a sort of personal blog.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was originally diagnosed in 2013, managed to reverse it until life got in the way & I slipped back resulting in HBA1C of 80 in November 2018

New year new beginnings...so today was day 1 of Newcastle diet & exercise programme.
Went for a 4.2km run @ 9:30 this morning and had my 800 calls of shakes.
I’ve ditched my bathroom scales as this is about bg levels and I’m usually obsessed with my weight, falling off the wagon easily when the lbs don’t melt away.
Going to check in daily with updates for anyone who is interested in following (or joining me ) but also as a sort of personal blog.

Did you reverse via the ND last time?

lisa5466

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Did you reverse via the ND last time?

Yes I did it in three months using ND and exercise. At that time my dn argued that there was no way I could reverse it, made me more determined. She was shocked at how well I did.

Reactions: ickihun

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Yes I did it in three months using ND and exercise. At that time my dn argued that there was no way I could reverse it, made me more determined. She was shocked at how well I did.

Good luck. You may need to relax the exercise on such as deficit, but I trust having done this before, you will know if you need to back off.

Reactions: bkr

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
If you're back at 80 then you have a lot of work ahead so good lick

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I might argue you're actually more IR because of your lapse.
Do something sustainable for life or you could end up like me. Highly IR and hba1c only lower on insulin injections.
I'd hate that for you. You sound hugely motivated. Avoid exercise injuries too. They are very damaging to a diabetic. More influencial on IR than on a lower IR person.

Please avoid yo-yo increased IR periods. They are the devils, more than reducing hba1c for a few years.

I don't really agree with ND as a way forward longterm.
However I don't speak for everyone and we are all different. You may get away with it!

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
I have Asperger Syndrome which is an autism spectrum condition and a full diagnosis of Adult ADHD which are characterised by impairments in social communication, social interaction and social imagination. I also have a rigid and somewhat unpredictable routine. I also experience obsessive rituals, some a bit overwhelming. But I have a talent in articulate creative writing skills and possess a photographic rote memory. I have sensory sensitivity and get upset by loud noises, bright colours or lights, and notice the texture and consistency of certain foods more making my dietary choices extremely limited or restricted to certain food components. I dislike conflict and lies. The Adult ADHD also makes me very moody and cross.
I am really happy that I've started the LCHF Diet like a mutual DCUK Member (DebraSue) advised me on another thread of this Forum. Recently, owing to my immense struggles with Asperger Syndrome and Adult ADHD, I've really gone mad on the carbs giving me a high hbA1c and high BGLs. All that has to change. It's gonna be hard what with the sensory issues I have around food in my AS, but I believe it can be done. My Christian Religion helps a lot with that. But I try not to enforce my religious beliefs on others as I love and respect all religions and all people and all belief-systems. All the -greasy-spoon, high-carb breakfasts have to go. DebraSue suggested Celeriac as an alternative to potatoes, Wholegrain unspelt spaghetti, Cauliflower Rice and @ickihun recommend Morrisons' Protein Bread. I would really love to reverse my insulin-resistant type II diabetes mellitus. And return to my swimming activities and increase my walking whilst tracking my steps on my electronic step-tracker.

lisa5466

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for all the useful info here. I will take note @ickihun as I’ve suffered with running injuries previously.
@Mike D I agree, it’s a longer trek than last time.
@Mbaker yes I will have to use common sense here as I expect to have even less energy than now....if that’s even possible!!
Day three today, it’s usually tough so I’ll see how I manage

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck @lisa5466

My advice, for what it is worth, is to plan ahead. Well ahead. Plan what you will do once the low calorie diet is finished, because you know it is only a quick fix. You need to find a suitable and sustainable diet to take you forwards once you have finished in order to avoid having to do it a third time. :)

Dee14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck @lisa5466.

I’m in a similar position to yourself. Diagnosed with Type 2 around 7 years ago. Initially, I stuck my head in the sand & carried on as if I wasn’t now a Diabetic, it just didn’t sink in. Things deteriorated & I got it into remission. However, that was years ago & I’ve let things slide massively as I have an extremely ill daughter who has been in/out of hospital for 4 years & my eating habits have been atrocious, with my own health taking a back seat. I need to desperately do something about it & this has been hammered home to me even more with the fact my dad, also a Type 2, has had 2 strokes in the last 8 weeks.
My plan is to do the Newcastle Diet too. I know it’s a short term fix, but, what I need to kick things off. What shakes are you using, or anyone else who has tried ND? - need them to be palatable to stick to this. Thanks

Reactions: keefidee