Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Feeling exhausted all the time
Hi
First post.
Can I pick up on the reversal / remission part of Maggie's post. If you can get to reversal how reversed is it? Would your body react to a sandwich or fish 'n chips the same as a non-diabetic, i.e. back to normal BG levels within a couple of hours? Or do you just have managed BG levels and still can't eat carbs?

When I reversed it in 2013 over a period of three months (no meds, just did the Newcastle diet) I had fully reversed it although the GP surgery kept calling me in for check ups annually. I ate whatever I wanted, fish & chips etc with no reaction....my pancreas was working normally.
Over the last 12-18months I dropped the exercise and piled 2 stone very quickly. Hoping I can reverse it as before because I love bread!

Reactions: Charis1213

Richard'63

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Thanks @Bluetit1802 and @lisa5466 . Lisa that is very encouraging news, I also love bread :)
I'll be following your new ND experiment. For myself I'm using the mirror, I reckon if I can get a six pack then I will have lost enough body fat. :)

lisa5466

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Feeling exhausted all the time
Thanks @Bluetit1802 and @lisa5466 . Lisa that is very encouraging news, I also love bread :)
I'll be following your new ND experiment. For myself I'm using the mirror, I reckon if I can get a six pack then I will have lost enough body fat. :)

Following the mirror is a great idea. I’ve lost zero pounds yet bizarrely two inches from my waist

Lily1042

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maggie Magpie,

What meal replacements are you using? Just shakes or are you having bars? I am thinking of doing this but just for a week or two and then going lchf. I think if i do this first the lchf will be easier for me to go back to as I am having real trouble ditching carb laden foods at the moment.

Richard'63

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I thought I'd revisit this thread, not because I've ever been on the Newcastle diet but because I said how I was going to approach Type 2.
So first off I am severely motivationally challenged (I'm lazy, I could win medals in procrastination) as a result I rarely food prep which means I have to eat whatever is available, which when I'm at work is usually a massive carb overload. Also I smoke (I have read that smoking affects insulin resistance), I drink to excess which suppresses the liver BUT raises anxiety and hence cortisol.
On the plus side, my evening meal is normally low carb, I bought a pull up bar and watched hours of bodyweight workout videos on YouTube. As I said I'm lazy, I exercise sporadically, but I am seeing changes. More definition in chest, shoulder and arms means more muscle using up glucose. I've lost an inch around my navel. I think my body is becoming more responsive to carbs.

So why write this? Because every little helps!

And the six pack? I think there is the faintest sign, of a hope, of a shadow, of a possibility ... when I cough! :)