Confusion about reversing diabetes

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi ok my diet yesterday
Hi taunty, I can see a lot of people have asked you the same question right of the bat what do you eat in a day, this is because you sound like your doing everything right, but its easy to pick something up wrong and adopt it with out knowing.:banghead:

You said low carb and to most of us here that means about 20g - 50g a day, looking at your post mushrooms, skimmed milk, green beans, lettuce, toms, apple, cannelloni bean mash are all carbs. The bean mash is supposed to be 20g of carbs per serving. (French dressing usually has lots of sugar.):bookworm:

Everybody is different ("I'm not" for all the Monty Python fans) as others have suggested checking bg levels after meals is a good way to help whittle out the foods which raise you blood sugar levels. Tomato's may raise your bg levels higher than you think and ditching them might be the magic bullet that brings everything else back in line. Or perhaps the nuts are much higher in carbs taking you well past your daily limit.

It depends on the nut.;)
:bag:

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Try this page: https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/page/Start-Here
This will give you a good idea of what foods you can and can't eat, but like others have said, it will vary from one person to the next, so you should test your BG frequently, until you know what works for you.

I was listening recently to Prof Stephen Phinney talking to Richard Morris about his past work. This is on '2 Keto Dudes' podcast episode 141: http://2ketodudes.com/show.aspx?episode=141
What I found interesting was one particular study that Phinney did where the subjects were split into two groups, one did regular exercise, the other did virtually none. Both groups were on restricted-calorie diets (about 800 kcal daily, I think). Guess what? It was the sedentary group that lost more weight!

I'm a firm believer that it's not as simple as 'calories in = calories out' -- our bodies are much more sophisticated.

Good luck.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ok thank you
what do you use to find out how many carbs there are in everything you eat - i have literally no idea

Personally I check the labels on anything I buy and effectively limit that to 5g of carbs per 100g.
That reduces by a huge amount otherwise I check on supermarket websites. The carbohydrate content of all foods are there (for the most part... I use Waitrose or Tesco as my main source).
I also record everything in a spreadsheet so can see exactly how many carbs I have had (along with fat and protein and calories). For the first few weeks and months this is quite a cathartic process and you can see where the carbs in your diet come from and then work to remove them. The motivation provided by checking blood sugar before and after meals to limit any rises becomes almost addictive.
Looking at your reported meal I'd say its too high in carbs and too low in fat which may explain your 7's when you really want 5's.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@taunty
Hello Taunty and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information, mentioned above, which we give to new members and I hope you will find it interesting and useful.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can i ask what a typical day's food looks like for you on 20g carbs a day?
thanks
Sorry, the site has been unavailable to me for a while.

Breakfast can be egg, mushrooms, either bacon, high meat content sausages or a very small piece of black pudding followed by a coffee with double cream.

Lunch I generally skip.

Dinner tonight will be lamb chops and veg.

Sometimes I might have a mixture of cheeses.

I rarely snack now. I tolerate peanuts so I will weigh 30g. Walnuts, olives are all good. There is a good thread on the forum called what have you eaten today. I can't link on my phone, perhaps someone will post the link for you.

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with others about paying careful attention to the foods to eat/foods to avoid and their carbs - quite a lot of things too find out are surprising. Plus, lots of us have different reactions to different things it is a lot of trial/error/meter readings. But once you know the effect certain meals/foods have you don't need to continue to test for that meal.

There's a useful visual guide to the relative carbs things have on the diet doctor website. The veggie and beans page is:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/vegetables#beans

It also has useful recipes and information. But, of course, between everyone on here, there's also a plethora of useful experience too! In the end, it is down to your own comfort level on what route you choose to take, whether to take metformin, how low carb you wish to eat.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Hi taunty, I can see a lot of people have asked you the same question right of the bat what do you eat in a day, this is because you sound like your doing everything right, but its easy to pick something up wrong and adopt it with out knowing.:banghead:

You said low carb and to most of us here that means about 20g - 50g a day, looking at your post mushrooms, skimmed milk, green beans, lettuce, toms, apple, cannelloni bean mash are all carbs. The bean mash is supposed to be 20g of carbs per serving. (French dressing usually has lots of sugar.):bookworm:

Everybody is different ("I'm not" for all the Monty Python fans) as others have suggested checking bg levels after meals is a good way to help whittle out the foods which raise you blood sugar levels. Tomato's may raise your bg levels higher than you think and ditching them might be the magic bullet that brings everything else back in line. Or perhaps the nuts are much higher in carbs taking you well past your daily limit.

It depends on the nut.;)
Mushrooms are only 0.4 grams per 100 grams, Well button mushrooms are. Green beans 3.2 per 100 gram Lettuce per 100 gram is 1, 9 carbs..The only foods that I can see which is quite high in carbs on his list is Apple, skimmed milk and the bean mash.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only foods that I can see which is quite high in carbs on his list
Hi derry think you missed the point there its not about how high in carbs any one item is. :banghead:
It's about adding up all the little bits and realising you may have gone over the target you set for yourself. @taunty said she is eating a low carb meal plan and struggling to get bg down adding up this one days food is well over the 20g mark.

I think you have got your figures wrong, I don't count carbs but a quick google check give me per 100g
Mushrooms 3.3g
Green beans 7g
Lettuce 2.9g
Tomatoes 3g
Nuts * 21g
Apple 14g
Bean mash 20g

* It depends on the nut.;)

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
a quick google check
Just to add... we need to be careful about what results we may get from such a search, as they may include fibre in the carbs.

In the US, carbs are counted including fibre. In my view, this is misleading and totally bonkers, as fibre is indigestible by humans (although our gut flora thrive on it). In the UK, we count 'net carbs', i.e. excluding the fibre. Many apps and websites like MyFitnessPal sometimes show net carbs, and sometimes don't - it all depends on their source data.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure how to update my profile - can anyone advise?

Apologies Tanty, I should have added that bit!

If you click on your user name at the top right hand side of your screen, then that'll take you to your account, and display the various sections.

If you have problems, just tag me, or any of the mods, by adding an @ symbol , immediately before their name, like this @taunty , and they'll receive an alert. This works for all members

Ponchu

Skim milk gets the sugar without the protective fat. Lose-lose.

Another marketing lie that harms us.

taunty

Sorry, the site has been unavailable to me for a while.

Breakfast can be egg, mushrooms, either bacon, high meat content sausages or a very small piece of black pudding followed by a coffee with double cream.

Lunch I generally skip.

Dinner tonight will be lamb chops and veg.

Sometimes I might have a mixture of cheeses.

I rarely snack now. I tolerate peanuts so I will weigh 30g. Walnuts, olives are all good. There is a good thread on the forum called what have you eaten today. I can't link on my phone, perhaps someone will post the link for you.

thanks for your help - and also to everyone else. I imagine skipping lunch would help with weight loss and blood sugar, but not sure i could manage skipping lunch. I'd be starved and still have to work full time.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks for your help - and also to everyone else. I imagine skipping lunch would help with weight loss and blood sugar, but not sure i could manage skipping lunch. I'd be starved and still have to work full time.

If you have a good low carb but fat and protein filled breakfast, you would find it easier. You could weigh out a few nuts to take to work with you and have a coffee with cream if you were really hungry. In my opinion it is much easier to skip breakfast and extend the overnight fast that way.

Reactions: Ponchu

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
not sure i could manage skipping lunch. I'd be starved and still have to work full time.

I think you may find (well I did) that extending your overnight fast by not having breakfast could soon lead to you not needing lunch either.

Reactions: Ponchu

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you out have access to a microwave at work? At this time of year home made soup or stew in a wide mouth flask can be very satisfying.

Everyone is different, we all have our own ways of managing what and when we eat. You will find your own way.

Carbs are addictive. If you go keto you will get carb withdrawal. Once you come through that, it took me around 4 weeks, you will suddenly find that your appetite diminishes.

Make sure you weigh nuts, cheese etc. I didn't at first and found I was way out in my guestimates!

Ponchu

I tried fasting years ago on the standard high carb “heart healthy” diet and was miserable.

I could not even skip before bed snack (including breakfast cereal)

Now?

I routinely eat 16/8

It’s easy, not because I’ve become disciplined but because healthy natural high fat satiates.

Carbs: hungry every two hours.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Hi derry think you missed the point there its not about how high in carbs any one item is. :banghead:
It's about adding up all the little bits and realising you may have gone over the target you set for yourself. @taunty said she is eating a low carb meal plan and struggling to get bg down adding up this one days food is well over the 20g mark.

I think you have got your figures wrong, I don't count carbs but a quick google check give me per 100g
Mushrooms 3.3g
Green beans 7g
Lettuce 2.9g
Tomatoes 3g
Nuts * 21g
Apple 14g
Bean mash 20g

This are for Iceburg lettuce
Categories

Package Type
Overwrap

Recycling Information
Label - glued - Paper - Widely Recycled; Wrap - Plastic - Check Local Recycling

Other Information
Full Product Name:
Iceberg Lettuce

Storage:
Enjoy for longer when kept in the fridge.

Nutrition
Nutritional Data

Typical Values per 100g per 80g % GDA your GDA*
Energy 60kJ/14kcal 48kJ/11kcal 0.6% 2000kcal
Protein 0.7g 0.6g
Carbohydrates 1.9g 1.5g
of which sugars 1.9g 1.5g 1.7% 90g
Fat 0.3g 0.2g 0.3% 70g
of which saturates trace trace trace 20g
Fibre 0.6g 0.5g
Sodium trace trace
Salt equivalent trace trace trace 6g
*Recommended guideline daily amounts for adults

Mushrooms 3.3g
Green beans 7g
Lettuce 2.9g
Tomatoes 3g
Nuts * 21g
Apple 14g
Bean mash 20g

This is for green beans
Carbohydrate 3.0g 2.4g
Button mushrooms.
Carbohydrates 0.4g 0.3g
Tomatoes 3.6g
Lettuce 1.9g These are all per 100 gram. I have checked this on the nutritional value of 4 supermarkets. Yes, I can now see that if he ate those things in a day, this would be to carby. I thought you were listing certain items..

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
The purpose of testing is to see the effect of the meal on our BG. You want a rise of no more than 2.

Apples not a good idea. What were the carbs in the cannelloni bean mash, sounds very carby. I found Mosley recipe book unsuitable for me.

This go up by 2?
So even if still under 8 if it went up by more than 2 it’s not good?