Using Fiasp for Corrections Only

ealingr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is anyone using Fiasp for corrections, but another insulin in their pump?

I've recently been trying out Libre and having the hard data in front of me shows that correction doses with Novorapid (the insulin in my pump) are taking longer to bring me within target than I previously realised.

I know views on using Fiasp in a pump are mixed and I'm not sure how well the logistics of ordering and keeping two insulins would work. But has anyone tried using Fiasp only for corrections (injecting)?

Reactions: Chickenboy
D

Deleted Account

I have been using Fiasp in my pump for nearly a month and found it good for basal (including adjustments for exercise) as well as bolus for food and corrections.
I would recommend trying it before attempting the extra complication of pumping NovoRapid and injecting Fiasp.

Reactions: ealingr and kitedoc

Chickenboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been using Fiasp for about 6 months now on MDI and only ha e to bolus 5mins in advance of food. If under 6 mmol then don't do it until after and don't see a post dinner BG spike. For corrections I don't seem to find it quite as instantaneous and often have to use more than I would for NR. Overall a better experience though. Am going onto omnipod with fiasp in a couple of weeks so will be able to report back on effectiveness in a pump soon.

Reactions: ealingr

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’ve been using Novorapid in my Omnipod pump for years but using Fiasp in a pen for corrections for the last year and find this works well for me. I don't use it that often but when I do such as today when my pod seemed to fail and sugars were at 17 and an arrow going upwards, it brought it down after a pod change pretty quickly. I tried Fiasp in the pump last year but found it didn’t work well so reverted back.

Reactions: ealingr

Chickenboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @JaneC why didn't the Fiasp work well in the pump? Interested as moving to a pump in a couple of weeks and planning on using Fiasp.

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @JaneC why didn't the Fiasp work well in the pump? Interested as moving to a pump in a couple of weeks and planning on using Fiasp.
I found that Fiasp worked beautifully at first in the pump but after a few months it didn’t seem so effective and I needed more insulin to correct sugars. During the night especially, the insulin just didn’t seem to provide enough cover for my evening meal and I'd wake up in the morning with unexpected high's. I believe a few others experienced the same but many don’t and you could be fine so just give it a go and see what happens. Now that I'm not using it in the pump or often at all, it seems to work well and fast as the occasional correction in a pen for me, I have no idea if this would be the same for anyone else though.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Chickenboy - Fiasp in the pump is a bit of a mixed bag. There are a lot of people (verified by a number of clinicians) that have not found Fiasp all that good in pumps (indeed, the Novo study with Fiasp in pumps produced results that were nothing to shout home about). It's worth trying because you may be one of the lucky ones, but it is by no means the panacea that everyone expected initially. I've written a lot about it at https://www.diabettech.com/fiasp

Chickenboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thats really interesting @JaneC. I've actually been suffering the very same thing with Fiasp MDI I. E. BGs that start to trend up from about 3hrs after my evening meal. I hadn't actually linked it with Fiasp but now that you mention it that could be the culprit. I've been doing a lot of 2am corrections recently! This has only really started in last couple of months or so which has also incorporated some colds and illnesses.

@tim2000s I might try switching back to NR to compare the difference before starting on the pump. I'd rather start the pump on an insulin I know is reliable to make the process smoother. Once settled on the pump I will have a baseline and could try introducing Fiasp later to contrast the pros and cons of both. I will miss the instant action of Fiasp though!

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thats really interesting @JaneC. I've actually been suffering the very same thing with Fiasp MDI I. E. BGs that start to trend up from about 3hrs after my evening meal. I hadn't actually linked it with Fiasp but now that you mention it that could be the culprit. I've been doing a lot of 2am corrections recently! This has only really started in last couple of months or so which has also incorporated some colds and illnesses.

@tim2000s I might try switching back to NR to compare the difference before starting on the pump. I'd rather start the pump on an insulin I know is reliable to make the process smoother. Once settled on the pump I will have a baseline and could try introducing Fiasp later to contrast the pros and cons of both. I will miss the instant action of Fiasp though!
I think it makes sense to use something you're comfortable with when starting on the Omnipod and agree it’s always difficult to find the root of a diabetic problem annoyingly. NR is slow but is consistent, I found when starting on Omnipod 6 years ago that I reduced my TDD about 20/30% so with an increasing useage of Fiasp it might be difficult to work out what is optimal amount for you. You can always give Fiasp another go in a few months and see how it goes.

Chickenboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it makes sense to use something you're comfortable with when starting on the Omnipod and agree it’s always difficult to find the root of a diabetic problem annoyingly. NR is slow but is consistent, I found when starting on Omnipod 6 years ago that I reduced my TDD about 20/30% so with an increasing useage of Fiasp it might be difficult to work out what is optimal amount for you. You can always give Fiasp another go in a few months and see how it goes.
Thanks @JaneC That's exactly my thinking now. Good to have it confirmed by someone who has been there and got the t-shirt!

Tim_V8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

this is so interesting because I am in exactly the same situation, Novorapid in my pump just isn't working for boluses or corrections. I go high after food so quickly and stay high for so long, never sure if it's right or not to correct. I am hoping to go onto Fiasp in the next few days to see if it will help me. I had to ask my consultant, but fortiunately he thought it worth trying at least. I have a suspicion that corrections via pen are more effective than bolus doses on the pump... but only a suspicion. Will keep you posted.

Tim