Steroids

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi ladies,
I’m booked in to have steroids on the 2nd of Jan, do not looking forward to it! I had them with my first too. How long can I expect to be in for? Any tips on keeping in pump throughout the process, if I go above 11 I’ll be put in a sliding scale, ahhhhh. Would really like to avoid that if possible.
Thanks

Last edited:

eeb123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I’m due to go in on the 2nd for steroids too. How did you get on the first time?
I’ve been told at least 24hours - I’m desperately hoping no longer!!
X

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
I’m due to go in on the 2nd for steroids too. How did you get on the first time?
I’ve been told at least 24hours - I’m desperately hoping no longer!!
X
Last time I went on a sliding scale which was fine, but the nurses were terrible and didn’t underfatand that I didn’t have ANY background insulin (they don’t understand the pump at all! So when the machine ran out of insulin they put a request in to the pharmacy for more insulin, well by this time is already ran out and started going high!
Anyways, I’m trying to stay on my pump this time, my consultant said as long as I stay below 11 which seems practical. I know you have to stay in 48 hours and this is what happened with my first and I was discharged, but my consultant is saying to expect 3 days which I really don’t want to do, especially with my little one at home:(

eeb123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh I’m on injections as opposed to a pump, but still I guess more or less the same situation.
Same as you I’m desperate not to stay too long despite not having a baby at home, I just don’t like being in hospital.
Were the steroids generally ok though?

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@eeb123 yeah they are fine! They do sting, but it’s over very quickly, the nurse told me to wriggle your toes and ankle, it helps it spread quicker and the pain goes quicker too. Good luck for tomorrow:)

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@eeb123 what time did you have the steroids lovely? I’m doing good so far too - but I only had them 3 hours ago. Did they let you stay on injections? How many weeks are you?

eeb123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@myarnton1 sorry for some reason I never get alerts on here ‍♀️
Yes, well of sorts I’ve stayed on injections with the sliding scale alongside?
I had my second injection this morning so I am hoping to be able to go home this evening all being well.
My sugars have raised slightly but nothing too much, so fingers crossed it stays that way.
I’m 36 weeks and will be back in a couple of weeks for a caesarean - how about you? How’s everything going? X

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@eeb123 glad it’s going well, ive had one high glucose but I’m not on sliding scale at all. I had my 2nd steroid injection at 12 so hopefully will be allowed out at 12 tomorrow. Oh sooo close for you then! Good luck with everything. I’m only 30weeks, but my daughter was prem. I think I’ll be going for elective section with this one too. Have they booked you in for csection?x

Reactions: eeb123

eeb123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@myarnton1 I’m free - I barely had the scale on and so persuaded them I should be allowed to leave thankfully.
Yes got my section booked and they say that if an appearance is made earlier the plans of a section can still continue.
Did you have a csection last time and if so how did you find it? X

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@eeb123 oh I’m glad to hear the good news! Hopefully I can convince the doctors when they come around at 9. Yes I had an emergency csection at 36 weeks after failed induction. I recovered really well, I didn’t need any pain relief at all after day 4. You will be fine, honestly, it will be lovely and relaxing x

Reactions: eeb123

eeb123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@myarnton1 thank you so much - I have my fingers crossed for you being able to go home to your daughter as soon as possible!
Thank you for your words of reassurance, been nice to have someone to speak to - keep in touch! X

Scarlet10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My daughter was born 30 weeks, I managed to have steroids 5 days before, i found them ok.
I had a c section, I was up the next day, dressed and walking around the hospital, I recovered quickly.
Good luck ladies xx

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you @Scarlet10 im 30 and 3 days now, my consultant is just being very cautious, and gave me steroid, which I think is a good thing. I’d much rather be too prepared for preterm birth. Awh bless you, how did she do? Did she stay in neonatal for long? Xx

Scarlet10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you @Scarlet10 im 30 and 3 days now, my consultant is just being very cautious, and gave me steroid, which I think is a good thing. I’d much rather be too prepared for preterm birth. Awh bless you, how did she do? Did she stay in neonatal for long? Xx

She was in hospital for 5 and half weeks. She was 2lb 9 born. She did well and avoided infections, she struggled to put weight on which held her back a bit. She’s 18 months now and running me ragged but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I hope you’re doing ok.

Reactions: sninge