Type 2 8 Week 800 Diet

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
Anyone done this?
I'd love to share ideas, support etc.
I'm just starting out.
Week 1.
Full support from my medicals.
It's a tough start.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well almost ; did 6 month of 1000 calories daily lost 35 kg , my diabetes got down into normal levels, unfortunately my GP celebrated this by putting my metabolism down by halfing my tablets of levothyroxine from 200micrograms down to 100micrograms which lead me to gain 1 kg weekly... totally demotivating and I am now almost back to my initial state except from 15 kg... now a too high level of blood glucose almost daily..
but well it will be the right thing to do , so just do it... and you´ll be so proud of yourself ...

I hope to be able to lose once more

Reactions: TrendyD

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not think many on here will be doing that 8 weeks on such a low calorie diet is pretty drastic

Reactions: magicmoose

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not think many on here will be doing that 8 weeks on such a low calorie diet is pretty drastic

Over time, Pinkorchid loads have done it, and some for much longer than 8 weeks. In that regard, I particularly think of @andcol , although he did it using real food, up (or down) to the required amount. He lost a staggering amout of weight and did incredible things for his metabolism.

From memory, he outlines the first three months of it here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/got-my-first-3-month-hba1c-results-this-morning.55719/

My colleague, @Pipp also had great sucess using it.

Good luck, @miriamy

Reactions: Sue192

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Over time, Pinkorchid loads have done it, and some for much longer than 8 weeks. In that regard, I particularly think of @andcol , although he did it using real food, up (or down) to the required amount. He lost a staggering amout of weight and did incredible things for his metabolism.

From memory, he outlines the first three months of it here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/got-my-first-3-month-hba1c-results-this-morning.55719/

My colleague, @Pipp also had great sucess using it.

Good luck, @miriamy
I can see how people who are very overweight would want to do it. It must be a bit easier if you can eat real food. Didn't the NHS suggest a liquid diet which was about 800 calories a day for people who are obese that must be very hard to do

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I did 600 to 800 calories a day for about 18 months lost about 54 Kg (8.5 stones) but I would not recommend it to any one else unless in extremis exercise was not an option for me. Of the weight lost a large proportion was muscle mass and that is extremely difficult to regain.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can see how people who are very overweight would want to do it. It must be a bit easier if you can eat real food. Didn't the NHS suggest a liquid diet which was about 800 calories a day for people who are obese that must be very hard to do

The NHS very low calorie diet is the Newcastle Diet, which is an 8-week, 800 calorie diet.

The NHS can now also prescribe a LC Diet, and indeed can prescribe the DCUK Low Carb Programme. It is now included in the NHS Health Apps library for anyone to use, whether prescribed or not.

But, let's not deflect Miriamy's thread.

magicmoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I couldn't do it. I love food to much and when bored food is my go to especially when watching TV! I'd probably die on an 800 calorie diet!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The "8 week blood suger diet" is a real food version and the book is very readable.

(However I got great results by advoiding nearly all carbs while eating home cooked real food.)

Reactions: NoCrbs4Me

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HI. I don't think about calories but I do think carbs. The 800 diet may work for you or some others, but my choice would be to keep the carbs low and have enough fats and proteins to keep you feeling full. It may be a better choice as a life-time diet?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I attempted the ND using keto level real food. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Unfortunately you don't get much keto food for 800 calories. I think I got to about week five before giving up. I think it has to be either low carb/ keto or low calorie as I found it next to impossible to do both.

Yellredder

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried Dr Moseley's 800 cal diet, but really struggled with it. Although my mind might not have been in the right place for it. A few years ago I did four or five months on a mostly liquid diet because of surgery. I did lose a lot of weight, but unfortunately this is when my HBA1C levels started increasing, having been stable and not in a Diabetic or pre Diabetic range for the four years previous.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s not a diet that everyone can consider. I tried it a number of years ago before it was called the Newcastle diet and only lost 7lb in 3 months however I nearly died because my metabolism went into starvation mode and began shutting down my body to preserve my vital organs. I was told by an endocrinologist that I had 2 choices - eat healthily ie low fat, low sugar, lots of fruit, baked potatoes and healthy brown bread, rice and pasta (before I was diagnosed T2 and finding low carbs were the way to go) and stay the same weight or diet and risk the same thing happening - guess which I chose!

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Miriamy, I've just bought Dr Mosely 8 week blood sugar diet book and I'm planning to start it on Monday (need to finish the left over Christmas treats first lol) I have a friend who highly recommends it. She finds it easy to follow, has lost a lot of weight and looks great. She is no longer pre diabetic! She came off the diet on Christmas day but regretted it as she felt awful and was glad to get back on it. So, she's talked me into it. I really need to do something as both my weight and hba1c are on the increase as well as my meds. Good luck with it

Reactions: Chook

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you take most of the meals in "Dr Mosely 8 week blood sugar diet" and double the amount of meat/fish, you get reasonable low carb meals.

Reactions: chocoholicnomore

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just an update.......been on diet for 1 week now. Finding it relatively easy compared to what I expected. Haven't felt hungry or craved my chocolate yet......although it's early days lol! Lost 4lb and moved the buckle on my belt one notch. But best of all I've had the best BG readings ever. I could never get the morning reading under 8 but the last 2 mornings I have been 5.7 and 5.8. I'm so happy with that and definitely staying motivated. I stopped taking my canafliglozin too as I had read it was dangerous to take it while doing very low carb and low calorie-never liked taking that one in the first place!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
4lbs in a week is great as are your BG improvements - congratulations. :)

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It it my duty to say you should have talked to your doctor before stopping canafliglozin, but given your current BG, I hope no doctor would start you on it if you were not already prescribed it.

A lot of your first week's weightlose is water, hence don't get disappointed when your weightlose slows down. Keep up the good work.