Feet Issues

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My overall blood sugar control is very good however i have noticed over the last few months an unusual feeling with my left foot. It almost feels as if my left foot is being squeezed.

Just wondered whether any other diabetics had experienced this ?

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I would see your Doctor. could be a blood flow problem. My doc did a test on my feet for blood flow and it was a bit like getting your blood pressure taken except they put the bit they usually wrap around your arm one on each ankle and they were linked to a machine which gave a reading for each foot I am now on medication but may need surgery if it does not work

I am NOT a DOCTOR So this is only my experience Get Diagnosed by a Proper Doctor

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I had my feet dealt with a couple of months ago by a hospital podiatrist. She had some sort of microphone to listen to blood flow in the feet.

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Strange feelings and sensations in feet can be signs of peripheral neuropathy, but they usually occur in both feet. If its one sided it may be some other kind of nerve injury such as an impingement, like tarsal tunnel syndrom. It may be something altogether different so worthwhile pursuing, dont assume it has to be PN because your diabetic, it could be anything from brain tumor to pinched nerve in back, or a thousand other things. So follow it up.

Vascular studies are done with a small handheld doppler that actually measures arterial blood velocity. They can be used alone or in conjunction with pressure cuffs.
A doppler by itself can give good results but is very much dependent upon the operator and type of foot presented. A swollen ankle can make it almost impossible to get a meaningful result. Or if a vein is nearby it can give a false negative.
Dopplers should be used in conjunction with a normal blood pressure cuff to measure absolute blood pressure in both perpheral arteries at the ankle. An automated BP machine or stethoscope are no good for feet.
Ankles pressures should be compared with arm pressures and is called ankle brachial index. This will give an indication of whether the arteries are healthy or if arterial desease is present. Sometimes the ankles cannot be measured and so a big toe pressure index can be done instead. This test is more comfortable than ankle pressures and faster. It gives good results but not specific to either peripheral arteries. ABI and TPI are really only a quick test for clical assessment. If they show something wrong a more comprehensive duplex ultrasound should be done to confirm arterial disease, but these are expensive tests. ABI & TPI are good for annual checkups as they can detect onset of disease before symptoms appear. Since its possible for an artery to go from healthy to completely clogged in 2 years the importance of a good annual foot assessment becomes clear.
Your GP feeling for pulses is not good enough anymore as a severely diseased artery can still have a pulse.