Stilton

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have become the proud possessor of a large wheel of stilton for a very low price .I will make broccoli and stilton soup for lunch tomorrow and we will have walnuts with stilton and a glass of red wine for after our evening meal .2 questions has anyone got low carb recipes for stilton and does it freeze
Carol

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It freezes but the structure might be slightly altered after thawing. Throw a small bit in the freezer and thaw in 2 days to check :)
I love almost any vegetable with Stilton. Easiest way: cook vegetable of choice, ditch the water when done, put back on low heat, add stilton and wait until it's melted. Even better: fry some bacon cubes and add to the vegetables and stilton. Or fry an onion to go with the vegetable/stilton/bacon mix.

Another stilton recipe I like very much is stealing a piece from the fridge whenever I'm near.

May I have your broccoli and stilton soup recipe?

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Try celery, apple and stilton soup. Can't comment about freezing the cheeese, we never keep it long enough!

Reactions: kitedoc

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How about making a cheese sauce by heating double cream to just below boiling, pull off the heat and stir in a handful of any crumbled cheese (Stilton yum) and stir until melted. Really lovely sauce with veg or anything really add couldnt be easier. Mind you a wheel is a lot of cheese. Maybe have a cheese and wine party.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I have become the proud possessor of a large wheel of stilton for a very low price .I will make broccoli and stilton soup for lunch tomorrow and we will have walnuts with stilton and a glass of red wine for after our evening meal .2 questions has anyone got low carb recipes for stilton and does it freeze
Carol
@carty, there's no need to freeze stilton, it keeps if you turn it regularly. Keep it somewhere cold, not in the fridge and turn it every few days

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@carty, there's no need to freeze stilton, it keeps if you turn it regularly. Keep it somewhere cold, not in the fridge and turn it every few days
For how long? Frozen it will keep for at least half a year or longer.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
do you keep it wrapped ?

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
mmm cheese :)
Stilton is lovely in a cauliflower cheese, or broccoli cheese
Stuffed mushrooms (I use a nut flour, lots of cheese and herbs/garlic)
Egg muffins (mix eggs & chopped veg/meat/cheese and pour into metal cupcake tin & bake in oven)
spirallised courgettes with stilton, mushroom & walnuts is delicious.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stilton and pear salad
Eat it in chunks with gooseberries
Crumble it over steak

I LOVE Stilton

D

Deleted member 308541

We used to keep Stilton in the butcher shop fridge, most of the Stilton available here is refrigerated as there would be melted fat etc every where.

I do not feel like paying $80.00 a kg to put in soup though.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
This sounds so weird I want to try it! How do you make it?
  • 1 onion, roughly chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • 1 head celery, chopped
  • 1 leek, chopped
  • 1 apple, peeled and chopped
  • 500ml (2 cups) vegetable stock
  • 100ml (⅓ cup) milk
  • 75g (½ cup) stilton or blue cheese
  • salt and pepper
Cook onion & garlic in a little oil on low heat until soft.
Add the celery, apple and veg stock and simmer until soft.
Add the milk and cheese and puree with a hand blender.
Job done!
I'm going to make some tomorrow as we need to use up our stored apples and the celery in the garden won't last much longer. Also got plenty leeks and the last of the Xmas blue stilton.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
1 head celery
Thanks! Foreigner here, so not completely sure: This is a head celery, right?
upload_2019-1-3_22-13-27.jpeg

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As well as all of the above, you could crumble sme through a salad. Do a tray bake of veg, with some decent sausages or chicken drummers or wings, then towards the end, princklesome dollops and bake a little longer.

Cut thin slices then grill on parchment paper or silicone paper. Turn after a moment or two, when it bubbles and repeat. Leave to cool and it should become like intensely cheesey crisps.

Your wheel of Stilton should me a contribution to your desired weight gain. :)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We used to keep Stilton in the butcher shop fridge, most of the Stilton available here is refrigerated as there would be melted fat etc every where.

I do not feel like paying $80.00 a kg to put in soup though.
I paid £1.48 !!! Yellow lable
Carol