Maybe an answer as to why slimmer people can also have T2D

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gene variations that reduce ability to store fat around the hips linked to higher risk of diabetes and heart attacks.

https://mrc.ukri.org/news/browse/ge...acks/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

I haven't seen this posted yet, it's a piece of research released on 21st Dec.

"Genetics which specifically change fat distribution by lowering fat storage around the hips increase risk of disease independent of, and in addition to, mechanisms that affect abdominal fat storage.”

Although the research confirms that abdominal fat storage is one of the main factors behind a higher risk, it is the part that states that genes that reduce a persons ability to store fat around their hips is independent of how much fat is stored around their waist that caught my eye. There are a number of people who are slim, and who have no other reasons for having T2D, so there may be a genetic reason behind this.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Great find so thanks for posting! It seems that the researchers correlated genetic tendency to apple vs. pear (and all variants in between) to a phenottype pre disposed to CVD/type 2 but did not track clinical outcomes in the 200,000 people studied. The hypothesis is shared by Professor Roy Taylor with the concept of an individual 'fat threshold' whereby fat stored around the visceral organs leads to diabetes in some but not others. So if you store fat subcutaneously and your fat cells easily expand you are better off metabolically than the TOFI types. Or as another doc I heard on a low carb podcast put it "I start my medical exam by prodding the belly of the patient. If it wobbles I am less worried than if its a firm belly". Firm belly implies a fatty liver etc.
Bit of a shame to see the comment at the end around he only solution to this issue being to design another drug to encourge storage of fat in thighs/buttocks! No mention of diet which surely must be critical to those who have these tendencies.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I am not so sure about the fat part, to be honest. I have known people who are thin who are type 2, also thin people to get breast cancer, (another blame on obesity) and also people slim who have had heart attacks. Wonder if genes play more of a part. I did read once that soon they will be able to tell who is at high risk of diseases by their genes. They never said anything about how bigger a person would be doing this study

Gloucestergirl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nightclubs!!
I'm sure it's genes in my case. I was diagnosed in 1995 with Type 2 even though I was not, am not and never have been overweight. My only symptom was a raging thirst for about three days. I was diagnosed with a sugar level of 22 and the hospital wanted me to go onto insulin straight away but I wasn't keen and was on various tablets for eight years before finally going onto Lantus for a few years and now Lantus and Novorapid and as I split the Lantus into twice a day that's five injections a day.

Why I believe it's to do with genes is the fact that my father had Type 2 and was on insulin and he wasn't overweight, my twin sister had it several years after me and she was even thinner than I was and was seven and a half stone but is now a slightly higher weight and on tablets. I was about eight stone at diagnosis and it was only when I had been on insulin for a while that my weight crept up to nine stone, what I was at nine month's pregnant. A year or so ago at the age of 43 my eldest son was told he had Type 2 diabetes and he is the only one who is overweight but controls it with tablets and exercise. Four people in the family with diabetes - genes or not?

Since the 1990s my sister and I have been invited every two or three years to the Twin Research Unit at St. Thomas's Hospital in London and take part in many tests and it's surprising what is affected by your genes. Whether you are likely to have affairs, problems with your eyesight, wrinkles, how finger lengths can show if you are gay or sporty and many other very interesting things that have been learnt from all the studies they have done. If any twins want thorough tests and examinations that they would have to pay privately for they can have all those sort of things done on an all expenses day out to London!