Thigh injection

Wheatus74

I have just commenced injecting insulin. I find the injection in the stomach easy as I have fat covering the muscle ( not too much). The only issue is when I inject in my thigh. I have little fat around the thigh, how do I inject without going into muscle which hurts more, do I slightly pinch the skin together.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Pinching is fine.
I don't like injecting in thighs, even though I have plenty of fat there, so I switched to arms. I suppose your arms are skinny too, so thighs and pinching might be better for you, as pinching your own arms is difficult.
Do you use the 4mm needles? If not, ask to get them changed.

Reactions: SimonCrox

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Hi @Wheatus74

I also have skinny legs and was told only to inject into the side of my thighs to avoid the muscle (first pinching as @Antje77 recommended) as per this image (from diabetes.org.uk)
IMG_0240.jpg

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I try and avoid injecting in the legs, absorption is so much slower. Almost absorbed twice as fast if in the abdomen. This can cause high post prandial peaks if lots of carbs eaten. Theres a graph in the FIASP report showing the difference and it is A LOT.

Reactions: SimonCrox