Snacks

sherbert

I have my main meals under control but i am still at a bit of a loss for decent Snacks.
Any suggestions???????
All the best
Albert

Pattidevans

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sherbert</i>
<br />I have my main meals under control but i am still at a bit of a loss for decent Snacks.
Any suggestions???????
All the best
Albert

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Er, why do you have to eat snacks?

Patti
On Levemir/Novorapid. Last hba1c 5.3

Claire

Patti - maybe Sherbert is one of those people who does not do well on three large meals a day. I am a grazer, I need to eat every couple of hours to feel well. And I'm not being piggy (weigh 8 1/2 stone) - I simply eat lots of small amounts as large amounts make me feel uncomfortable.

Sherbert - hello fellow snacker :D I usually snack on fruit or veggie sticks, sometimes with nuts or seeds or homemade hummous. I usually have to have extra insulin with snacks for the fruit sugar, but that has not affected my control as I know now roughly have much I need for each fruit.

Claire

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Sherbert,

Most snacky type foods tend to be fairly high in carbohydrate, so if you don't want to increase your sugar levels, have something that's more protein than carbohydrate, like a small piece of cheese and a handful of nuts (but not peanuts because they are high carb).

Pattidevans

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Claire</i>
<br />Patti - maybe Sherbert is one of those people who does not do well on three large meals a day. I am a grazer, I need to eat every couple of hours to feel well. And I'm not being piggy (weigh 8 1/2 stone) - I simply eat lots of small amounts as large amounts make me feel uncomfortable.

Claire

Ahhh, OK, T2 on oral meds? I have 3 reasonable meals a day (not large) but being on insulin eating between meals is not at all attractive to me as it would require another injection and overlapping injections aren't a good idea.

Patti

Buachaille

Dislikes
Blondes with small...................................
On the advice of the Consultant I stopped all snacks which were in effect either Ryvita and as an alternative, oatcakes. However, if I now find myself in need of something I tend to go for celery, carrots, spring onions, red onion, bean sprouts etc.

That said, I smell pancakes on the griddle which is now a real pain!

Claire

Patti

I also am type 1 on insulin, but I find snacks and additional injections no problem. I am generally 4-5 before main meals and do not usually go higher than 7 or 8 between meals.

I guess we're all different and have different preferences :D

Claire

Pattidevans

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Claire</i>
<br />Patti

I also am type 1 on insulin, but I find snacks and additional injections no problem. I am generally 4-5 before main meals and do not usually go higher than 7 or 8 between meals.

I guess we're all different and have different preferences :D

Claire

As I said "I don't find snacking attractive", so I guess it's a personal preference. Plus I really really don't like overlapping insulin doses as the result becomes unpredictable, certainly for me, but as you know diabetes is very much YMMV. I enjoy my meals, I eat very well as I am a keen cook and hubby loves his food. I cook from scratch every evening, I take home made soups to work for lunch, or a nice salad with something interesting in it. Plus I have to be careful with my weight.

The reason I queried snacking was because when I initially saw a dietition after diagnosis, she told me I "needed" to snack between meals and frankly that wasn't true... nor was the rest of her advice, but that's another subject. I really wanted to know whether Sherbert had been handed the same erroneous advice.

Patti

sherbert

Hello Everyone,

I am similar to Clare i eat one main meal a day, the rest of day i eat light sandwiches,snacks etc.
Thanks for all your replies, perhaps i am for looking some delicious low carb biscuits or something.
All the best
Albert

Abi

If you are looking for low carb- some people substitute ground almonds or soya flour. I have reservations about very low carb but it might be worth putting "bernstein" and "diabetes" into a search engine to find the "diabetes solutions" website. Bernstein is an American diabetes physician who advocates a very low carb diet and there are plenty of recipes in the forum

chocoholic

I sometimes have a couple of Nairn's Oatcakes...the ginger ones. They are low GI and quite light. I seem to constantly feel hungry these days and I don't know why.I don't smoke or drink.I eat well and I drink plenty of water but this hunger is driving me to distraction at the mo'.Does anyone else have a constant feeling of hunger or is it just me?

Lynda Kay

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by chocoholic</i>
<br />I sometimes have a couple of Nairn's Oatcakes...the ginger ones. They are low GI and quite light. I seem to constantly feel hungry these days and I don't know why.I don't smoke or drink.I eat well and I drink plenty of water but this hunger is driving me to distraction at the mo'.Does anyone else have a constant feeling of hunger or is it just me?

Do you include any fat in your diet?

We try to eat a 30% Protein, 30% Fat & and 40% Carb diet.

Happy Trails,
Proverbs 17:22

Willemse

Hi There,

I am T2 on tablets and have the same problem of feeling hungry most of time. I eat regularly with main meal at night, good size portion and the occasional snack. Last hba1c 7.8;), nurse still wants me to better down to 7.48)

Hank

chocoholic

Hi Lynda K. I just eat a normal healthy low-fat, low-sugar diet and don't count carbs or anything as I know little about doing things this way.