Newly T2 and Pregnant

Emma3627G

Was diagnosed T2 about 3 weeks before getting pregnant I’m 7 weeks and 4 days. Was trying for 10 months unaware how poorly I was becoming. On metformin for 10 days and Boom ! Pregnant ...

So my first medication was 500mg SR metformin. I was 15st 6lb and for a 5ft 4in woman that’s not the best. Started slimming world in the hope of turning this around. But before I knew it I was pregnant ! So obviously Sw promoted free foods like pasta, rice, potatoes I had to have a serious think and Tailor it better. Despite my best efforts the metformin wasn’t doing it and was put up to the 1g SR metformin. This also isn’t doing the trick
So 2 days ago I’ve been put on lantus insulin before bed. I’ve been told to inject 2 units every night for 2 weeks. So far my waking BG is 8mmol despite going to bed at 6mmol. I’m worried that 2 units isn’t enough but I guess it’s just a transition period getting me used to it. My weight is better thought
I was 15st 6lb ten weeks ago and I’m 13st 13lb as of this morning . So I think it’s going ok on the slimming world and being careful with my carbs.
I’m just desperate to get my morning readings down. They gave me novorapid too but I’m not allowed to use it till after my 2 weeks of lantus

Anyone in the same boat ?

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Emma3627G

No, not in same boat as such.:)

Just wanted to say Blooming marvellous on the weight loss, ( oh and congratulation, for the baby..:happy: )

Sure others will add their congrats and advice.

I would like to just add, that the diet, as such i am on..(never dieted in my life)
has seen my weight gor from 16st 8lbs back in august, this am 14st.01 lbs..:)D)

and the only thing i've done apart from the metformin, is follow a lot of the advice on here, and now my running daily BG is around 6.2 also and heading ever downward.

So slimming world may have had some impact on you, but i think most of that HAS been down to YOU not them..:watching:

EDIT: i missed the raised BG, and i am NO expert, so hopefully other mums will chime in,
but for non pregnancies, the LIVER, can even without us eating, produce insulin..
it's designed to help us BEGIN the day from a sleeping start so to speak.

now i know that to interfere with the early morning FBG, and i suspect that with you eating for two,
then your body is causing mayhem, making sure junior AND you get the right nutrients etc. and dealing with the drugs and dietary changes

so i would expect the numbers to be worse, then if you were not pregnant
(ie, take the normal readings from those NOT pregnant on here, with a tiny pinch of salt.)
but like i say NO expert, just an opinion.

Take care, look after yourself and your little stowaway.

best wishes dealing with the diabetes AND for a smooth, simple delivery with junior .

Last edited:

Emma3627G

Thankyou. I had my scan today. Baby has a lovely strong heartbeat and I’m on with the antenatal diabetes team again on Wednesday. I feel they have been really good at reacting to my BG levels and swift action with my treatment. I’m sure they will up my insulin as it’s not enough to make a difference yet overnight.

And well done on your weight loss too. I’m determined to be around 10st 5lb when I give birth or perhaps a little lower . I’m eating very well on SW just eating smaller portions of carbs and counting them each meal.

Attachments

• 0CC76561-E96A-49B8-B79F-A497FD653FFE.jpeg
    0CC76561-E96A-49B8-B79F-A497FD653FFE.jpeg
    406.6 KB · Views: 378

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
aw, snug as a bug.

looks like you got a great team looking after you.

all the best, @Emma3627G +1 :happy:

Farrowlily

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My daughter is type 2 and wants to try for a baby but is worried she will have to come off her metformin she has one 500m tablet a day any advice about this thanks

Jocohono

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,
Congratulations on your pregnancy and hope it is all going well!
I'm Type 2 and nearly 31 weeks pregnant. I was also on Metformin before becoming pregnant (500mg) and this was increased to the highest dose (2000mg) soon after I became pregnant.
My blood sugars have slowly increased especially overnight/in the morning. I was assured this was normal and it was just the pregnancy hormones. At around 18 weeks I was put on insulin and now have to inject four times a day (in addition to taking the Metformin).
Initially before bed I took 4units of Humulin (slow release) but this is now up to 7units. I also take Humulog (fast release) three times a day and inject between 5 and 6units each time.
Your diabetes team will keep an eye on you and will be able to advise you but your blood sugar levels will probably increase as the pregnancy progresses, so the insulin will need to increase. You might also need to go for growth scans later in your pregnancy, but it just means you get to see your baby more :)
Hope this helps and Good Luck with everything!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wasn’t diagnosed as diabetic whilst pregnant but kept getting glucose in urine whilst passing further tests and had large babies. It’s a worrying time without additional concerns. My best advice is keep all carbs (of whatever colour and type) as low as you can reasonably manage. Monitor blood glucose carefully. Anything at all out of norm report to your medical team and keep reporting til numbers are good. Don’t be dismissed. Don’t stay worried and silent. Get explanations that satisfy you. Other than that enjoy the magical time of bringing new life to the world and congratulations.