Quick question about breakfast (shreddies)

Orlando00

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was wondering if anyone had original shredded and a banana for breakfast?

I've just been experimenting with things to have and noticed my blood was 6.5 before and 9.0 about 5 hours later.

I'm thinking this may not be the best thing for me?
Anyone had shredded and can explain why it's doing this or what it did to your blood levels?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Check the carbs on the packet. Not the best for diabetics. Bananas are also a no go area. Much better to have a cooked breakfast.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not entirely sure its possible to have any more carbs in a bowl unless you sprinkle it with sugar.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

There is also the milk in the bowl to consider? Which for me can have lasting effect on raising BGs...

Orlando00

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I use A2 milk as I have ibs and this milk has nothing in it.

My diabetic nurse said shredded was perfect as it gives me the fibre I need a day. Guess they are lieing again. I give up with trying to figure out what to eat.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Don't give up. Just read the packets.

Personally breakfast (if I have any) is 3 or 4 tablespoons of Greek biopot youghert with a good splosh of double cream.

That with maybe some cheese and a tin of tuna will do all day.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A2 milk is high carb so far as I can make out.

No cereals are good for us.

Are you using a meter before and after eating?

Stay away from low fat anything.

D

Deleted Account

A2 milk is high carb so far as I can make out.
A quick assistance from Mr Google shows
Semi skimmed normal milk - 4.8g carbs/100ml
Semi skimmed A2 milk - 4.7g carbs/100ml
Full fat normal milk - 5g carbs/100ml
Full fat A2 milk - 4.9g carbs/100ml

I don't think the A2ness makes a difference of carb content.

Stay away from low fat anything
And I don't think, with milk, the lower fat (semi-skimmed) makes much of a difference either.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A quick assistance from Mr Google shows
Semi skimmed normal milk - 4.8g carbs/100ml
Semi skimmed A2 milk - 4.7g carbs/100ml
Full fat normal milk - 5g carbs/100ml
Full fat A2 milk - 4.9g carbs/100ml

I don't think the A2ness makes a difference of carb content.

And I don't think, with milk, the lower fat (semi-skimmed) makes much of a difference either.
Mr Google is giving me carbs around 12-13g for A2 milk.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use A2 milk as I have ibs and this milk has nothing in it.

My diabetic nurse said shredded was perfect as it gives me the fibre I need a day. Guess they are lieing again. I give up with trying to figure out what to eat.
They're not lying, per se... They just know not what they do. Don't give up just go to dietdoctor.com and https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/visual-guides and see what is okay for T2's. Maybe read Dr. Jason Fung's The Diabetes Code. It's a lot more doable when you don't have to depend on others (who obviously are rather clueless), and know what you should be looking out for yourself.

Basically, carbs are a problem as most of them turn to glucose once ingested, and you can't process that back out. Shredded wheat, milk and oh my, banana's.... That's a lot of carbs in one go, (probably more than i eat in a week) and I'm not surprised at your numbers.

But if it's fibres you want, how do you tolerate above-ground vegetables? Broccoli, celeriac, spinach?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Having stepped on the scales for the first time this year, breakfast is going to be eggs, sausage, bacon, maybe with a tomato, and then coffee with cream until I reverse the sudden increase in gravity in this area - or lose some mass.

D

Deleted Account

I see fat values but not carbs???? I am on my phone, don't know if I am missing something.
Here's a screen grab of the nutritional info for the A2 semi skimmed
Screenshot 2019-01-04 at 14.34.22.png

Reactions: xfieldok
K

Knikki

Yep I eat shreddies for breakfast mixed in with cornflakes, apricot wheats, plus anything else in the cupboard and yep after 5 hours I will spike, which is fine as I can deal with this.

But nearly all cereals, as far as I am aware, will do that.

Reactions: Kim Possible

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was wondering if anyone had original shredded and a banana for breakfast?

I've just been experimenting with things to have and noticed my blood was 6.5 before and 9.0 about 5 hours later.

I'm thinking this may not be the best thing for me?
Anyone had shredded and can explain why it's doing this or what it did to your blood levels?
If that’s what your bloods were like after 5 hours I dread to think how high they were after 2! Eggs and or bacon best for breakfast or nothing of course..

Orlando00

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think I'll try eggs for breakfast and see how that goes. As I say I'm new to this and trying different things to see what I can and can't have.

Suffering from ibs daily doesn't help any either

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I'll try eggs for breakfast and see how that goes. As I say I'm new to this and trying different things to see what I can and can't have.

Lots of anecdotal reports about IBS being far less intense when carbs are cut from the diet. Maybe look at ketogenic eating?

Hotpepper20000

I love eggs but sometimes I need a break from them. So I have full fat Greek yogurt with a few berries for my first meal.