Burn Out

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My wife bakes her own bread using wild yeast developing naturaly on rye flour. She then uses traditional way of making bread with rye and spelt flour. It takes a lot of effort but makes a low-ish carb bread with resistive starches. We limit ourselves to 2 thin slices a day.

There are also probiotic health benefits from the wild yeast and bacteria that grow in the starter.
I make my own bread, but use 'normal' yeast, and my usual recipe, but replace some of the flour with rye flour, I also add in milled seeds, psyllium husk flour, ground almonds and coconut flour - and also baking powder as the yeast is not enough to raise the dough as it lacks gluten. That seems to reduce the carbs to something I can cope with, but I have been making small loaves and freezing them, though in future I thought that using muffin tins would be a better option, as it still tastes a bit too good and I tend to eat rather too much as soon as it thaws out.
I tested the idea of resistive starches from freezing and chilling - made no difference for me.

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My partner (she objected to being objectified as wife) really enjoys making her bread, but she is not as adventurous as you. Your bread sounds delish!

Gran25

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I fell off the wagon this past weekend and did a little binge (ok...big) with chocolate and french fries...I had a very unpleasant GI reaction, then felt like I had a hangover for 48 hrs...and as a result got back into the LCHF groove pretty quick. Out of curiosity in the middle of the binge I tested and was expecting double digit numbers. I was astonished to see 6 's. (could that be related to weight loss and the effects of several months on LC?) I think the holidays are really triggering for many people, diabetic or otherwise, and reaching for food and booze a common response. If like me, you live in a rainy dark climate, this time of the year is also pretty dreary and it's easy to get the blues. I decided to not sweat the small stuff and get a bit more creative with recipes and am happy to be back on track.

Reactions: Sue192 and Ponchu

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I fell off the wagon big time over Christmas/New Year, the first time since diagnosis in Sept 2017. I am not beating myself up about it and I now find that, having got the 'way hay let's go mad' out of the way and having treated myself (or 'sinned' if you are of the sanctimonious type) to things that I have missed, I am now back to that frame of mind to get on the wagon. I dislike the 'oh, I value my feet/eyes/whatever too much to fall off the wagon' viewpoint - it implies stupidity and a complete lack of willpower on the part of those who dare eat something 'bad' - and I believe that you have to work through your own way of getting back to low carbing (at whatever level suits YOU). If you do fall off the wagon, @Ponchu, don't beat yourself up, get into a frame of mind that helps you back on, and keep on going. As many have said, it's a marathon not a sprint, and quite a few of us are human..... ;)

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Sue192 and @Ponchu it's not the end of the world if you eat something that you wouldn't normally do. I went on a cruise in November and, whilst breakfast and lunch were ok carb wise, we had afternoon tea most days and a 3 course meal each night hence for the last couple of months I've eaten more carbs than I normally would - I tend to average between 80 - 100g per day. However it is nice to get back to eating salad or a well filled sandwich made with high protein bread and greek yoghurt and berries for lunch. I have never been ultra low carb or keto and have still managed to maintain normal blood sugars for at least 5 years - in fact my latest hba1c was 36 - 6 weeks after going on my cruise!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I fell off the wagon big time over Christmas/New Year, the first time since diagnosis in Sept 2017. I am not beating myself up about it and I now find that, having got the 'way hay let's go mad' out of the way and having treated myself (or 'sinned' if you are of the sanctimonious type) to things that I have missed, I am now back to that frame of mind to get on the wagon. I dislike the 'oh, I value my feet/eyes/whatever too much to fall off the wagon' viewpoint - it implies stupidity and a complete lack of willpower on the part of those who dare eat something 'bad' - and I believe that you have to work through your own way of getting back to low carbing (at whatever level suits YOU). If you do fall off the wagon, @Ponchu, don't beat yourself up, get into a frame of mind that helps you back on, and keep on going. As many have said, it's a marathon not a sprint, and quite a few of us are human..... ;)
Falling off the wagon isn't something to beat yourself up about. Especially as you are back on it. Well done. Things dont always go as we would like them to. You felt the need to have the things you missed. You did it. Enjoyed it. And you are now focused again. Brilliant. It's not easy at any time, but Christmas!!!! Challenging. I'm very focused myself. I have a massive circle of friends all of whom I catch up with a lot but most certainly at Christmas, usually over lunch or dinner but always involving food and a glass two of wine. And now I've reached my ideal weight I've got a bit more relaxed about food in that I eat more, trying to maintain my weight. I try hard to make good food choices. I noticed my blood sugars when i test have moved from the 5s to the 6s. Now Xmas is behind me I'm focused again. Want to get back to the 5s. Happiest in myself there. Panic when i see 6s. It means taking my carbs down a notch. Means to an end. Ultra low carb started yesterday. There is a solution! Happy days. I feel very blessed that there is a solution = LCHF.

Ponchu

Thoughts on Jordan Peterson sharing that going off one time led him back into the hell of depression-anxiety which, he claimed, lasted a month?

Ponchu

I think some are “scared straight” by the reality of amputations.

Recent article (by memory) said 150 amputations per day in UK for diabetes.

For some, the carrot; for some, the stick.

In my life, I’ve needed both.

Roulis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since my diagnosis, I have change my philosophy of food and eating.. I now Eat to Live and not Live to Eat. And I am determined to put this thing on its back side even if it takes me 100 years! LOL! You all have a good evening!

Last edited:
Reactions: Debandez