Love my dietician!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I had quite a lengthy chat with my dietician (and my consultant) about my eating keto at my Libre review at my hospital diabetes clinic yesterday afternoon. They were initially predictably horrified that I had ketones when they tested my urine and then my blood, but when I explained why they actually really listened.

My consultant said ideally he’d like me to up my carbs a little to get out of ketosis, but he couldn’t deny the massive improvement in not just my demeanour and HbA1c (89 —> 50) but my general health too. He said I was like a different person to the one he saw before Christmas. I’d given him a list of the huge improvements I’d observed since adopting it. He asked me to see the dietician while I was there (I don’t always).

She was wonderful, despite have office walls plastered with the EatWell plate. I handed over two months of MyFitnessPal food diaries, and she said I was eating fantastically well and healthily - she thinks low carb/keto is the way to go for a lot of diabetic people, and it’s clearly working for me. The general feeling is that most people aren’t motivated enough to stick with it, as the lure of the carb is just too great. Most of their patients aren’t willing to make such a significant change to their lives, even if it’s clearly beneficial to their diabetes care - they mostly just want a pill or simple insulin regime to keep the worst of the complications at bay and carry on as before, living a relatively “normal” life. So as long as I keep the ketones at the nutritional level, and keep my BG in range, they’ll give me all the support I need. I’ve got a prescription for ketone strips for my Libre scanner, and I’m going back in six months for a review.

Tl;dr - my team is very supportive of my adopting keto, as long as I keep a close eye on it :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great news that you have a dietician who is willing to allow you to take control, and appreciates the changes you have made independently. Well done on your achievement, by the way.
I cannot agree that patients would not be willing to make change to low carb / keto way of eating. Though there will always be some who can't or won't be motivated enough. Unfortunately most HCPs are still following the Eatwell mantra, and if patients don't get to here of alternatives they will never know. I make a point of carrying copies of our member David Unwin's, (Southport GP) patient advice sheet to share with HCPs in an attempt to educate them. They are often interested in the results he got. Especially the cost savings to GP practice.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/bmj-prac...-saved-putting-patients-low-carbohydrate-diet

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had quite a lengthy chat with my dietician (and my consultant) about my eating keto at my Libre review at my hospital diabetes clinic yesterday afternoon. They were initially predictably horrified that I had ketones when they tested my urine and then my blood, but when I explained why they actually really listened.

My consultant said ideally he’d like me to up my carbs a little to get out of ketosis, but he couldn’t deny the massive improvement in not just my demeanour and HbA1c (89 —> 50) but my general health too. He said I was like a different person to the one he saw before Christmas. I’d given him a list of the huge improvements I’d observed since adopting it. He asked me to see the dietician while I was there (I don’t always).

She was wonderful, despite have office walls plastered with the EatWell plate. I handed over two months of MyFitnessPal food diaries, and she said I was eating fantastically well and healthily - she thinks low carb/keto is the way to go for a lot of diabetic people, and it’s clearly working for me. The general feeling is that most people aren’t motivated enough to stick with it, as the lure of the carb is just too great. Most of their patients aren’t willing to make such a significant change to their lives, even if it’s clearly beneficial to their diabetes care - they mostly just want a pill or simple insulin regime to keep the worst of the complications at bay and carry on as before, living a relatively “normal” life. So as long as I keep the ketones at the nutritional level, and keep my BG in range, they’ll give me all the support I need. I’ve got a prescription for ketone strips for my Libre scanner, and I’m going back in six months for a review.

Tl;dr - my team is very supportive of my adopting keto, as long as I keep a close eye on it :)
Good for you, this is fantastic. I've just started on a ketogenic diet and I'm ahppy to say my consultant was also supportive.

BundyBob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good for you, this is fantastic. I've just started on a ketogenic diet and I'm ahppy to say my consultant was also supportive.
I wish you all the best and I wish I could say the same thing. My last appointment with my dietician had her trying to get me to use a carb exchange program that would have lifted by carb intake to 90 from my meager 9g per day. She couldn't understand what I was aiming for. But there you are. Congrats.
Rob

Reactions: newcamili and brush

newcamili

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, its really good to you, for your health, that you have support from your dietician. I am also step by step going to keti diet, but I didnt have support from my DN.. She told that I dont need this diet... Could you tell me, your tottal carbs per day?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi, its really good to you, for your health, that you have support from your dietician. I am also step by step going to keti diet, but I didnt have support from my DN.. She told that I dont need this diet... Could you tell me, your tottal carbs per day?
Well I keep to under 30g but often much less.

newcamili

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for answer. Hm.. I should lower my carbs.. My tottal up to 50-60g.

newcamili

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe you use insuline pump? Or skip carbs per meal or using snack without carbs? I put 1 unit Novorapid to 10g carbs every main meal and have snacks after all meals and before bed..

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Maybe you use insuline pump? Or skip carbs per meal or using snack without carbs? I put 1 unit Novorapid to 10g carbs every main meal and have snacks after all meals and before bed..
I do use a pump, yes, but have only had it four months. I managed quite well on injections but had issues with hormones and insulin resistance, plus dawn phenomenon so was eligible for a pump. I keep my meals very low carb and don’t need to snack. The carbs I do eat are covered by the same 1:10 ratio as you’re using.

Reactions: newcamili