UK importing meat from the USA

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why are you concerned, Muslim people have to buy meat from somewhere if there are no dedicated halal shop in the area.

The same goes for people of the Jewish faith they have to get Kosher meat from somewhere else if no kosher shops are available, but no one complains about that.
Please don't read my comment as against the Muslim faith. @Krystyna23040 is right about my reasons, and it would be the same for Kosher meat. There has been a problem here with halal meat not being clearly labelled and it should be so, as should Kosher meat.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Post Brexit, who knows what might be on the shelves?

I am sure British meat still will be. Buy fresh and avoid packaged frozen and ready meals. Look for the Union Flag on the labels. Support British farmers.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As
  • We don't currently have a trade deal with the US
  • We don't yet know how we will exit the EU and on what terms
  • If we negotiate a trade deal with the US (or any other country) we can also negotiate on the quality of any goods we allow to be imported
  • Negotiating and agreeing a trade deal with any country takes 5+ years
I don't think think this is something to worry about for a good few years, if ever.

D

Deleted member 371625

I am somewhat uncomfortable with large scale farming (in UK, US or elsewhere) so tend to use either wild food (game and fish, avoiding farmed fish whenever possible) , or organic meat which has higher levels of animal husbandry. I wouldn't waste money on organic fruit and veg though.
I do shoot and fish whenever I can, though know this isn't an option for everyone, and grow a lot of my own fruit and veg too (maybe 15% of what I eat).
US deal is many years away (and not very likely anyway) and would probably only affect processed and take away food. Poor quality meat is easily avoided, it just may involve a little time and thought.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why are you concerned, Muslim people have to buy meat from somewhere if there are no dedicated halal shop in the area.

The same goes for people of the Jewish faith they have to get Kosher meat from somewhere else if no kosher shops are available, but no one complains about that.

My concern is the way it’s slaughtered. They don’t stun before killing

Ps Adding that the quality of meat from the us is shocking so would be worried that restaurants will be lured with cheap meat. Depressing.

Last edited:

macabee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
People who think Diabetes is 'nothing much to worry about'
Kosher m
Please don't read my comment as against the Muslim faith. @Krystyna23040 is right about my reasons, and it would be the same for Kosher meat. There has been a problem here with halal meat not being clearly labelled and it should be so, as should Kosher meat.
Kosher meat as well as all kosher products are and have always been so marked

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I saw a TV report last week where UK farmers were saying they were concerned that they will lose their markets in the EU post-Brexit. 70% of British lamb is sold in the EU, while we import New Zealand lamb.
Hopefully then more UK lamb will be sold in the UK if they can't sell it in the EU.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I saw a TV report last week where UK farmers were saying they were concerned that they will lose their markets in the EU post-Brexit. 70% of British lamb is sold in the EU, while we import New Zealand lamb.
Hopefully then more UK lamb will be sold in the UK if they can't sell it in the EU.

I have always wondered where all that British lamb goes to in the EU? In France lamb is harder to come by and very expensive so where else would it go I wonder? And there must be something very wrong if NZ lamb is cheaper to move halfway round the world to sell in the UK...

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
And there must be something very wrong if NZ lamb is cheaper to move halfway round the world to sell in the UK...
Agreed, and also how much pollution is caused by all the transportation?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interestingly it looks like our imports and exports almost balance out.. which make it even odder that we send so much overseas whilst shipping it in too...

Screenshot 2019-01-05 at 12.34.00.png

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interestingly it looks like our imports and exports almost balance out.. which make it even odder that we send so much overseas whilst shipping it in too...

View attachment 30421

My question is why? By exporting all this to the EU we are obliged to import roughly equal amounts. This to me sounds crackers.

I mentioned on a thread recently that I was shocked to see a news article, not relating to meat in any way, about a lorry load of illegal immigrants being stopped at (I think) Newhaven. The lorry contained a shipment of mineral water. Why on earth do we import mineral water? Our country is full of natural mineral water of excellent quality. This just reinforces my belief that we should buy British.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'd guess that UK lamb is exported because the farmers and exporters get a better price in the EU than if they sold it in the UK.
And NZ lamb is imported because it's cheaper than the UK lamb.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Why on earth do we import mineral water? Our country is full of natural mineral water of excellent quality.
Why do we need bottled water at all? The tap water here is healthy and drinkable.
OK some people might like the 'sparkling' fizzy water, but I never buy still bottled water.
And the empty plastic bottles ca\use a lot of pollution too.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My concern is the way it’s slaughtered. They don’t stun before killing

Ps Adding that the quality of meat from the us is shocking so would be worried that restaurants will be lured with cheap meat. Depressing.

I'm not taking issue with this, I'm just surprised, because in the US restaurants have a rep for taking the best cuts of meat (e.g., "choice" cuts) which is said to be why the rest of us can't find that grade in the grocery stores.

Canicant

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wonder how I survived before the EU (common market) my Mother must have been frantic trying to find something to feed us all (too many EU loving fear mongers now) IMHO

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not taking issue with this, I'm just surprised, because in the US restaurants have a rep for taking the best cuts of meat (e.g., "choice" cuts) which is said to be why the rest of us can't find that grade in the grocery stores.

Sorry I wasn’t clear. Not talking about beef but chicken and fish. The intensive farming requires it to be washed in chlorinated water and this is what they want to import. It is cheaper than uk reared so would be tempting for restaurants - yuck! The farmed salmon is not great quality. Yes most US beef is ok and some exceptional, however most farming methods are distressing (for mass market cheap beef). Always the exceptions though and some farmers adore their cattle.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I usually buy canned salmon that says "wild caught" on the label. I just hope the label's true!

Reactions: Flora123