Riding The Emotional Roller Coaster!

T2#Me

Happy New Year to you too!

Cat café's are a special slice of heaven. :) They originated from Asia, from what I gather, but often the cats there are drugged so they're very calm and pet-able. Here in the Netherlands I've visited quite a few, where the cats were absolutely NOT drugged, but just, you know... Cats. Including taking off with the camera-strap, (and camera...), playfully clawing a little... :) There are house rules, like, don't wake a sleeping cat, don't pick them up, some will require you to disinfect your hands before entering and such. Food is prepared in a seperate area where the cats aren't allowed, -far as that is concerned the cafe's are more like tearooms/lunch rooms- and usually there's another cats-only area where they can withdraw from guests. Cafe's often have between 4 and 11 cats, and if done right, they like the attention. In Almere's The Coffee Cat,( https://thecoffeecat.nl/) there are now 11 of them and they adore people, playing, being petted and photographed. Naturally, it's quite task to find cats that actually like that much attention, but usually it's ran by people who are good at picking out cats who'd be happy in such surroundings, rather than stressed. I know there's one in London https://www.ladydinahs.com/ , which I'd love to visit some day. But we have our own little black panther to care for, and we can't leave him alone overnight. But one day we'll travel again, and Dinah's'll be on the wishlist. :)
Thanks very much ... never heard of that before ... it's amazing ... :)

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

rolypolypudding

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
For me, this seems to be the part of the forum I need the most.

Hello I'm somewhat of an emotional eater whose suffered with mood swings and depression for more than 20 years. I currently get no mental health support.

This last two years has seen me go through many different challenges and currently I'm at a point of constantly wondering where my life is going.

Part of me wants to end it all - I'm not planning anything right now, as the other part of me wants to fight and make 2019 a fresh start. I don't want 2019 to be like the last three years.

In the last year I feel I have begun to lose my identity and constantly question myself. I'm caring for a relative so often feel stuck in a rut and this is something that needs to change!

One of my biggest issues is how lonely I am. People go on about the elderly being lonely but other ages get lonely to. I'm 41 and feel so very alone. No real family other than the person I care for. Sadly I had to end a long term friendship of 19 years this year - it's a long story... But I did what was best for me and my mental health. So especially the last six months I've been more lonely than ever.

My plan for 2019 is to get back on track with my weight loss, I've gain a stone back and than needs to go. I'm hoping to apply for some voluntary work in the coming months just so I can meet some new people.

Currently I've been in the midst of depression for several weeks, I don't take antidepressants as they affect my sleep immensely. Perhaps the only thing that has kept me sane this last year is writing a private diary to clear my head of the many thoughts.

rolypolypudding

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I'm sorry to hear you are struggling. I suffer from similar conditions as you and have done for many years, so I've long since given up hope of a cure and just seek to exercise damage limitation.
It's a good idea to take up a new interest, but beware of taking on too much. The volunteering should be something that you feel you would enjoy, not something undertaken as a duty.
I recently joined a community choir and have found that helpful as a way of meeting new people and just having fun. I haven't managed to lose weight yet though, and I badly need to as I'm seriously overweight.
However, no point in beating ourselves over the head, it only makes us feel worse.
I do hope though that you will manage to control your suicidal thoughts. Your life does matter, just as much as anyone else's. You have taken on an extremely worthwhile role as a carer which I know is grossly undervalued by the government - but however willingly you have taken it on, it must be tiring and stressful at times.
I've found Samaritans very helpful when in a similar frame of mind as you are now, also you might want to try elefriends. This is an online discussion forum a bit like this one, only for people with mental health issues. It is run by the national mental health charity, MIND. It is carefully moderated so no danger of receiving any abusive responses.
I'm planning to set just a modest goal for 2019, as previously I have been too ambitious and that makes me feel worse when I fail. So I've decided to try and get a grip on my love affair with chocolate and all sweet things. I'll see where that takes me.
So please please please don't give up, and continue to post on this website so we can offer you support. .

Reactions: magicmoose
D

Deleted member 444941

For me, this seems to be the part of the forum I need the most.

Hello I'm somewhat of an emotional eater whose suffered with mood swings and depression for more than 20 years. I currently get no mental health support.

This last two years has seen me go through many different challenges and currently I'm at a point of constantly wondering where my life is going.

Part of me wants to end it all - I'm not planning anything right now, as the other part of me wants to fight and make 2019 a fresh start. I don't want 2019 to be like the last three years.

In the last year I feel I have begun to lose my identity and constantly question myself. I'm caring for a relative so often feel stuck in a rut and this is something that needs to change!

One of my biggest issues is how lonely I am. People go on about the elderly being lonely but other ages get lonely to. I'm 41 and feel so very alone. No real family other than the person I care for. Sadly I had to end a long term friendship of 19 years this year - it's a long story... But I did what was best for me and my mental health. So especially the last six months I've been more lonely than ever.

My plan for 2019 is to get back on track with my weight loss, I've gain a stone back and than needs to go. I'm hoping to apply for some voluntary work in the coming months just so I can meet some new people.

Currently I've been in the midst of depression for several weeks, I don't take antidepressants as they affect my sleep immensely. Perhaps the only thing that has kept me sane this last year is writing a private diary to clear my head of the many thoughts.
Are you a registered carer? Because there are carers assocciations in most areas, they can help you and the person you care for, bring you in contact with others in the same situation and help you to cope with caring, which can be very hard at times. This would certainly reduce your loneliness, thereby giving you back the incentive to do what is neccessary to get wour own health back in order. Have a look on your county and district sites fore carer support.

Reactions: magicmoose

magicmoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you a registered carer? Because there are carers assocciations in most areas, they can help you and the person you care for, bring you in contact with others in the same situation and help you to cope with caring, which can be very hard at times. This would certainly reduce your loneliness, thereby giving you back the incentive to do what is neccessary to get wour own health back in order. Have a look on your county and district sites fore carer support.
I did once have an assessment by social services for being a carer. They were referring me to the support group but I never heard anything. I've been a carer since I was a teenager, so it's always been part of my life.

magicmoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm sorry to hear you are struggling. I suffer from similar conditions as you and have done for many years, so I've long since given up hope of a cure and just seek to exercise damage limitation.
It's a good idea to take up a new interest, but beware of taking on too much. The volunteering should be something that you feel you would enjoy, not something undertaken as a duty.
I recently joined a community choir and have found that helpful as a way of meeting new people and just having fun. I haven't managed to lose weight yet though, and I badly need to as I'm seriously overweight.
However, no point in beating ourselves over the head, it only makes us feel worse.
I do hope though that you will manage to control your suicidal thoughts. Your life does matter, just as much as anyone else's. You have taken on an extremely worthwhile role as a carer which I know is grossly undervalued by the government - but however willingly you have taken it on, it must be tiring and stressful at times.
I've found Samaritans very helpful when in a similar frame of mind as you are now, also you might want to try elefriends. This is an online discussion forum a bit like this one, only for people with mental health issues. It is run by the national mental health charity, MIND. It is carefully moderated so no danger of receiving any abusive responses.
I'm planning to set just a modest goal for 2019, as previously I have been too ambitious and that makes me feel worse when I fail. So I've decided to try and get a grip on my love affair with chocolate and all sweet things. I'll see where that takes me.
So please please please don't give up, and continue to post on this website so we can offer you support. .
Thanks. I've never tried the Samaritans. I have used a local charity support line which has been helpful when things have been bad. I do think voluntary work would be good for me. A chance to meet new people and to do something for me. More often than not boredom sees me turn to food which then makes me feel miserable!

rolypolypudding

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Yes, I turn to food when bored, also when under stress. I get a craze on specific brand/types of food [usually chocolate, cake and/or biscuits] which can go on for weeks or even months before I tire of it and move on to something else.
I think keeping busy and away from easy food fixes is probably the best thing. Hopefully voluntary work will help.
I'm going to try yoga. I feel a bit self-conscious going to class the way I look at the moment but I've decided to grasp the nettle in the hope it will help with my stress management.