Type 2 Erratic Blood Sugars

carnabychick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I have been taking Victoza for 2 years, anyway the DSN wants with my agreement to put me on insulin as I have erratic blood sugar. My question is how can blood sugar jump from 11.2 to 3.5 in the space of a few hours. I don’t get any hypo awareness , just feel a bit sick, so am worried how to manage them while I wait for my appointment in 2 weeks. I am only in a low dose of Victoza which is it supposed to cause any hypos? Help!

Shirl

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really fail to see how putting you on another medication that will make you far more likely to have hypos will help..
Have you changed what you eat recently? Cutting back on carbs? Maybe you need a refreshed HbA1c and to cut down the doses?

carnabychick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had fructosamine test done and I’ve stopped the Victoza to see what my blood sugar does with no meds, tho normally when I stop they shoot up again so I’m gonna keep a check on them till the appointment. Victoza is good in that it restrict what you eat but the side effects are a pain sometimes so will see what’s suggested.

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had fructosamine test done and I’ve stopped the Victoza to see what my blood sugar does with no meds, tho normally when I stop they shoot up again so I’m gonna keep a check on them till the appointment. Victoza is good in that it restrict what you eat but the side effects are a pain sometimes so will see what’s suggested.
Morning , what is your diet like ? are you eating lots of carbs ?

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Victoza is good in that it restrict what you eat but the side effects are a pain sometimes so will see what’s suggested.

Do you still feel that effect after 2 years? I've been on it for almost 4 years, and don't think it's doing anything for regulating my appetite anymore. My DN confirms that they do see victoza losing its effect in many patients after a while.

Which side effects do you experience, and how much do you take, if you don't mind my asking? Have you ever been on any other meds, like metformin, for example? From my own experience and from what I read in here, insulin is given to T2s when there are no other options, but victoza isn't a first choice either. However, insulin is more likely to cause hypos than victoza. Way more, actually.
Personally I'd do anything to avoid insulin, first and foremost because I have and always have had problems with obesity and worry that insulin won't do me any good in that department, but also because I aim to get off at least victoza and perhaps even metformin too eventually, and eat very low carb hoping to achieve this. It's working beautifully so far, and I get no spikes like you, but we're all different. I can't help wondering if you're really T2, though.

carnabychick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Oops I’ve tried metformin, glitzier, linsgliotin, glucobay the one that makes you fart lol and then Victoza. After 2 years I cannot eat large meals as they make me sick literally but I’m fed up of side effects from meds. I admit my carb intake is not perfect but luckily I can’t eat that much. Side effects for me are tiredness, constipation, it did however level any spikes. I stop meds and my blood sugars rise quickly. I was 22 mmols when diagnosed at 41 and had had symptoms for years including tiredness, boils yet cos I must have been used to running high I didn’t feel really ill. It was just before diagnosis that I was having episodes of being really ill and being sick and I only found out by accident when I thought I had a urine infection and test showed off the scale glucose in my urine. The thirst was also a big pointer but again I just thought I was thirsty. Reason for insulin, I was skinny teenager, I still have skinny arms legs, just my weight is in my tummy and I’m wondering if I’m lada maybe? Plus there’s no side effects as my pancreas has had so much meds thrown on it. Currently on 0.6 as doctor wants me to reduce it but lowering the dose has brought back my highs and lows

Last edited:

carnabychick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sand spell check gliclazide and linagliptin that should read plus I have neuropathy and my eyesight has gone from no glasses to needing +5 in one eye