What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone. @Goonergal that lamb shank sounds so yummy!
Breakfast - cup of tea and my usual peanut & chocolate protein bar
No lunch as was at a party with a full buffet of non-friendly samosas/pakora/Bhakti etc
Afternoon snack - 2 slices of chicken
Dinner - needed some form of Indian tasting dish after missing out at lunch so cooked pre-marinated chicken tikka meat (had the full 350g pack at 3.4g carb) with half a red onion, half a red pepper, half a courgette, 100g mushrooms and a few cherry tomatoes to make a dry tikka veg dish.
Will most likely indulge in some dark chocolate later

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all. Last day before getting back to work tomorrow.

@zauberflote -- Wow, taking ballet lessons! Couldn't even have attempted this at the best of times. You have my admiration.

The quiche actually turned out to be quite good -- not sure, why I haven't had quiche in almost a year. It's quite easy to prepare and usually lasts at least three days.

You are correct, individual meter measurements can be off (I believe the new margin of error is 15% rather than 20%), but probably low and high measurements will even out in the long run -- unless of course you meter measure systematically high or low. Have you ever compared what your fbgs as measured during your blood tests with what your meters says? Last time, I took my meter with me and measured 5 min before they took blood and my meter was dead on.

Today's menu ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Two pieces of crustless pumpkin-onion-salami-camenbert quiche.

Dinner: One Wiener sausage. Fried chicken liver in mustard-pastis-cream sauce with white asparagus. A glass of red wine.

Edited to add: Prepared some hot cocoa this afternoon. Used clotted cream with water, erythritol and cocoa fibers, so really low-carb, my guess is around 1g of carbs per 100g. It was quite good, but much more intense than using milk (and defo worked much better than my attempt with almond milk). Has anyone tried this with coconut water/milk?

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all. Can’t believe the weekend is almost over.

Well, another OMAD day. Absolutely ages since I’ve been able to do that so regularly.

Dinner was lamb shank. First time ever cooking one - eaten many in restaurants but never prepared one myself. Used some left over fat from yesterday’s short rib for the initial cooking at a high temperature and then added butter, salt, a little garlic and some sprigs of rosemary before slow cooking. The butter/fat mixture turned into a delicious sauce to pour over the top. Still peckish so had half a bag of pork crunch and 45g extra thick Jersey cream.

Lots of tea with cream too - went for a coffee with a few of my walking football team mates after today’s session and had 2 pots of tea and 2 of Costa’s little pots of cream. Enjoying another one now.
Oh yes, lamb shank! I'll have to cook some now you've reminded me :)

Great new profile pic!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Chook - I wonder if your nurse is aware that the DCUK LC Programme is now available to prescribe, and there's an RCGP module for medics and nurses, which also qualifies for CDP.

Probably not. This is the first time I've met her and, while she was a lovely person, she did seem a bit ditsy. Is there any information that I could drop in to her about it? ATM I do rather think her version of low carb is a bit different from ours.

Reactions: zauberflote

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Okay, so here we go...

Breakfast: Orange blossom, orange and lemon chia pudding with toasted almonds (made with Greek yoghurt, double cream, stevia and a splash of almond milk). Fresh coffee with cream.

Lunch: A trip to our favourite local Italian café. We shared the Antipasti Misto - a ridiculously huge sharing platter of cured meat, cheese and Italian vegetables, olives and salad. We brought home some leftovers which will be used for tomorrow's lunch, so not feeling too bad about failing on my plan to eat less meat this week! Huge americano with double cream.

Dinner: Neither of us were that hungry, so just a small snack. A small chunk of Vintage Red Fox cheese, a Babybell, some cucumber, a few tomatoes. Decaf coffee with cream and a couple of tiny Brunsli Swiss Chocolate Cookies. A recipe from the Ottolenghi Simple book (xylitol instead of sugar), which I adapted slightly. Ridiculously festive considering Christmas is over, but I wanted to give them a try.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening, I think I'm going to join in this thread although I'm PreD. Some of these foods sound lovely. I'm not sure how well I'm doing with what I eat, but I've lost 6lb in 4 days, probably just retained water but it's a start. My bg levels are around the 6.4 most of the time, sometimes in the 7s but I'm sure this isn't too bad...anyway today I had
Breakfast just a cup of tea
Snack, one mini babybel cheese
Lunch, roast chicken, broccoli, cauliflower, Swede (my fav so just had a little), green beans and one small roast potato.
Afters, sugar free jelly and cream
Dinner, nothing as roast was around 3pm.
Small snack now of a few salted peanuts.
Feel good and no craving for food...

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably not. This is the first time I've met her and, while she was a lovely person, she did seem a bit ditsy. Is there any information that I could drop in to her about it? ATM I do rather think her version of low carb is a bit different from ours.

Of course. The LC Programme (LCP) is here: https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/

The LCP is a subscription service, at £29.99 for a lifetime membership, which can either be paid by prescription (a "token"is prescribed, which the person adds at registration) or by anyone who cares to give it a go. There is however also a "Freemium" version, which is a sort of try before you buy, trimmed version. Lots of trackers and hints, but not the major educational pieces.

To access the Fremium version, just scroll down to the bottom of that url and there is a link there in the sign up area.

The LCP App is also in the NHS App Library: https://apps.beta.nhs.uk/category/diabetes/ - just scroll down the list. That is the most obvious route to the LCP for anyone prescribing it.

The RCGP module is here: http://elearning.rcgp.org.uk/course/search.php?search=diabetes+type+2 Again, it requires a little scrolling through the T2 content. All the GP or HCP needs to do the module is an NHS email address.

I hope that helps

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening, I think I'm going to join in this thread although I'm PreD. Some of these foods sound lovely. I'm not sure how well I'm doing with what I eat, but I've lost 6lb in 4 days, probably just retained water but it's a start. My bg levels are around the 6.4 most of the time, sometimes in the 7s but I'm sure this isn't too bad...anyway today I had
Breakfast just a cup of tea
Snack, one mini babybel cheese
Lunch, roast chicken, broccoli, cauliflower, Swede (my fav so just had a little), green beans and one small roast potato.
Afters, sugar free jelly and cream
Dinner, nothing as roast was around 3pm.
Small snack now of a few salted peanuts.
Feel good and no craving for food...
Welcome to the thread, Look forward to seeing your menus. You should find lots of ideas from the other posters.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Got back to NW London this afternoon after a 5 hr drive up from Cornwall. I will really miss our butcher down there and the little farm shop where you can buy a single onion or carrot, and nothing is plastic wrapped. It is however nice to be back within walking distance of M&S and a few coffee shops though.

Breakfast before we set off was scrambled egg and smoked salmon.
Coffee&cream

Stopped for Costa coffee&cream enroute

Lunch: some leftover chicken with avocado oil mayo and salad. Slice of the dwindling HC yule log.

Dinner: Beef stew I’d made in the IP yesterday and bought back with me (as I wasn’t sure if daughter who still lives here would have any food in - she had though bless her, feel guily for doubting now) I didn’t bring my IP back with me this time and I’m getting twitchy without it - can’t temember when I last cooked a whole meal conventionally.

@ziggy_w I love the sound of your quiche, I’m surprised you didn’t finish it off.
@maglil55 your dementia stories made me smile, it’s so sad and such a cruel disease but probably the only way to cope with it is by laughing. Hope you had a good meal out.
Nice sounding lamb meals @gettingamoveon and @Goonergal
@BibaBee I’m glad you stopped lurking and decided to join in. I had a look at the book on Amazon but the recipes I saw were a bit too carby for me personally. I’ll be interested to hear how you get on with them though, and hope they work for your husband.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Some lovely menus on here today inspirational. I’m back to three small meals again eaten ideally within about 8 hours so have reasonable daily fast too it seems to suit me and my bgs best. This way of eating is very much about working out what produces best results for you.
Breakfast bacon, egg and very small spoon sugar free beans
Lunch one lc cheese scone and veggie soup
Dinner steak, celeriac chips a few toms and mushroom sauce with glass red wine followed by lc raspberry mousse
Hope everyone has a good evening
@ianpspurs pleased you had a good birthday lunch with your MIL - although I’m from York’s I’m not fussed about Yorks pudding so that’s an easy one for me to say no to.
@Goonergal love new avatar and your lamb shank sounds delish I should make one for myself as no one else in family likes it.
@DJC3 pleased you had safe journey today

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Got back to NW London this afternoon after a 5 hr drive up from Cornwall. I will really miss our butcher down there and the little farm shop where you can buy a single onion or carrot, and nothing is plastic wrapped. It is however nice to be back within walking distance of M&S and a few coffee shops though.

Breakfast before we set off was scrambled egg and smoked salmon.
Coffee&cream

Stopped for Costa coffee&cream enroute

Lunch: some leftover chicken with avocado oil mayo and salad. Slice of the dwindling HC yule log.

Dinner: Beef stew I’d made in the IP yesterday and bought back with me (as I wasn’t sure if daughter who still lives here would have any food in - she had though bless her, feel guily for doubting now) I didn’t bring my IP back with me this time and I’m getting twitchy without it - can’t temember when I last cooked a whole meal conventionally.

@ziggy_w I love the sound of your quiche, I’m surprised you didn’t finish it off.
@maglil55 your dementia stories made me smile, it’s so sad and such a cruel disease but probably the only way to cope with it is by laughing. Hope you had a good meal out.
Nice sounding lamb meals @gettingamoveon and @Goonergal
@BibaBee I’m glad you stopped lurking and decided to join in. I had a look at the book on Amazon but the recipes I saw were a bit too carby for me personally. I’ll be interested to hear how you get on with them though, and hope they work for your husband.

Uh - oh.............

If it wasn't collect in person, I'd be tempted by this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Instant-Pot-IP-DUO80-7-in-1-Electric-Pressure-Cooker-8-quart/113501566669 It's the 8ltr, so the same beast as @Brunneria has.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Of course. The LC Programme (LCP) is here: https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/

The LCP is a subscription service, at £29.99 for a lifetime membership, which can either be paid by prescription (a "token"is prescribed, which the person adds at registration) or by anyone who cares to give it a go. There is however also a "Freemium" version, which is a sort of try before you buy, trimmed version. Lots of trackers and hints, but not the major educational pieces.

To access the Fremium version, just scroll down to the bottom of that url and there is a link there in the sign up area.

The LCP App is also in the NHS App Library: https://apps.beta.nhs.uk/category/diabetes/ - just scroll down the list. That is the most obvious route to the LCP for anyone prescribing it.

The RCGP module is here: http://elearning.rcgp.org.uk/course/search.php?search=diabetes+type+2 Again, it requires a little scrolling through the T2 content. All the GP or HCP needs to do the module is an NHS email address.

I hope that helps

Hi, yes it does help. :). I'll ring her tomorrow to get her email address and copy and paste that to her. Thanks x

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thanks. It was a Christmas gift from my brother. I'm actually surprised at how many recipes are low-carb without tweaking much, so will definitely report back!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Beans.....I love them and thought they were a no go. I'm going to try just a spoonful tomorrow, I bought the low sugar half cans just in case
Hi @AngiH go carefully I’ve been keto for more than a year now and now have regular low bgs. I only experimented once at Christmas this year and found a teaspoon of low sugar beans were ok for me so repeated this experiment today but I’m sticking to a small teaspoon as that works for me but I’d suggest that you only had a few and test to see how your body deals with them. It’s all very individual. I can’t eat green beans or peas for example without a rise but it may be the amount - my OH said did you count them? I hadn’t but did then and there were five beans! oH had rest!

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @AngiH go carefully I’ve been keto for more than a year now and now have regular low bgs. I only experimented once at Christmas this year and found a teaspoon of low sugar beans were ok for me so repeated this experiment today but I’m sticking to a small teaspoon as that works for me but I’d suggest that you only had a few and test to see how your body deals with them. It’s all very individual. I can’t eat green beans or peas for example without a rise but it may be the amount - my OH said did you count them? I hadn’t but did then and there were five beans! oH had rest!
Thank you. I will just try a few...I miss my beans so I'd settle for 5 haha. And to think just before Christmas I was eating a whole 400gram tin on white toast!!!! It's a whole new learning curve.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I will just try a few...I miss my beans so I'd settle for 5 haha. And to think just before Christmas I was eating a whole 400gram tin on white toast!!!! It's a whole new learning curve.
I agree - it was a bit of an addiction for me beans (full sugar) on jacket potato or on wholemeal toast - often with no butter as this is recommended on low fat diets which I was always doing! - so didn’t dare go anywhere near them for about 15 months. I was very very strict in early days including a month of one very low carb meal a day ( about 5g of carb) but now I am at a weight and hbaca1 im happy with I’m working on maintenance but still stick to less than 30g of carb per day and keep my ketones motoring along. Hope your experiment goes well. We are all different nice to see you on this thread and look forward to seeing your menus.