Dr. Nicholas Sudano D.C.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Just wondering if anybody has heard of this fella. He is on youtube. I agree with most of what he says, but he seems to demonise bacon and cheese. He said that many keto videos are using too much of these products, but should be used sparingly. He also does not like pork as he thinks they are not very clean. Everything else tho is Keto. He is not Muslim so not liking pork is not for religious reasons. He said that eating to much cheese or cream will lead to a stall or weight gain. I must admit I have thought to myself that there are many recipes that seem to use loads of cheese. I made some fathead sausage rolls last week, but just ate 2 small ones and put the rest in the fridge. When I see Keto Pizza the amount of cheese in the dough and then more on top of the Pizza is a lot. The calories must be a lot in the sausage rolls and pizza. They say that calories don't matter, but I think that they do. Any opinion's on this?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On him? He's got some different ideas to me and he's not as smart as he thinks he is.
On the whole calorie thing.. try overeating fat ...it's incredibly hard to do.
If you haven't tried keto food most people find they eat a whole lot less because they get full quickly and stay full for longer thats the satiety effect of fat.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
On him? He's got some different ideas to me and he's not as smart as he thinks he is.
On the whole calorie thing.. try overeating fat ...it's incredibly hard to do.
If you haven't tried keto food most people find they eat a whole lot less because they get full quickly and stay full for longer thats the satiety effect of fat.
Oh, he is big on fat. He was saying that many people eat too much protein and not enough fat. Everything that you have said so has he. He seems like a nice guy to be honest and he is knowledgeable. He was basically saying that many recipes have a lot of cheese in, which I have to agree with. He has been doing Keto for 2 years and loves it. It was just the cheese and cream part and saying that people can stall eating too much dairy. What I did not agree with was somebody said that their Cholesterol was high since being on Keto, he told them to give up dairy. I did tell him that my Cholesterol is fine after nearly 2 years and cheese actually lowers my BG levels. I think that he is still learning some things.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sounds like a moron to me with an axe to grind... :meh:
No, he has no axe to grind. He seems like a nice bloke, to be honest. I think calling him a moron is a little harsh

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have not listened to the gentleman in question but I would suggest that the CICO ideology is one that is now becoming generally thought of as bunkum. I could in theory stick to a calorie controlled or calorie restricted diet by eating nothing but table sugar, I do not think I would live happily or any longer doing this.
My personal opinion is that a diet that is nutrient dense regardless of calories is far and away the wiser choice.

FYI just learned today that as cheese is a 'fermented' product it can aid in the uptake of vitD. Winner!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Doesn’t D.C. mean he’s a chiropractor?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
In the USA there is little control on what pigs are fed on, unlike the UK.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Here, at the 10.30 minute mark, is Dr. Sudano's view on calories.

NB. I have not viewed the whole presentation yet.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I am with @Diakat, what are his qualifications. What background, training, expertise gives him a right to lecture to others?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That's both weird and untrue.

Having initially agreed with your comment I now wonder whether the gentleman means dirty as opposed to 'clean' as in clean eating i.e. a diet of wholly unprocessed foods which would exclude bacon etc (?).

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that he is still learning some things.
Yep I'd agree with you there..
The whole excess protein throwing you out fo ketosis is I think a red herring. Macro checking is only necessary if you want to .. the percentages of macros are also fairly unnecessary providing carbs are lower than 20g per day. He's quite right on the seed oils and having enough fat for satiety. Skimmed through the rest to be honest.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yep I'd agree with you there..
The whole excess protein throwing you out fo ketosis is I think a red herring. Macro checking is only necessary if you want to .. the percentages of macros are also fairly unnecessary providing carbs are lower than 20g per day. He's quite right on the seed oils and having enough fat for satiety. Skimmed through the rest to be honest.
Yes, it can all get too complicated. My weight has now come to a stall and has done for a while, and I wondered if I am eating too much protein, but many a day I will just have 2 meals or one, and I don't snack, may have a few berries with cream. My portions maybe to large lol not sure. Any ideas or tips?

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That's both weird and untrue.
Yes, that did throw me, as pigs are very clean animals. He did explain why but I cannot remember exactly what the other reason was. My brain kind of went off onto a pig farm, all I could think of was a nice juicy pork joint or bacon lol

Reactions: Safi

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to count calories as well as carbs, as i can easily overdo the cheese.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it can all get too complicated. My weight has now come to a stall and has done for a while, and I wondered if I am eating too much protein, but many a day I will just have 2 meals or one, and I don't snack, may have a few berries with cream. My portions maybe to large lol not sure. Any ideas or tips?
When I stall I usually chuck in few days of fasting to see if it can get things moving again. This Jan doing beef only one meal a day and the pounds are dropping off slowly..plenty of things to try?

Reactions: derry60

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Having initially agreed with your comment I now wonder whether the gentleman means dirty as opposed to 'clean' as in clean eating i.e. a diet of wholly unprocessed foods which would exclude bacon etc (?).
Possibly - I've no idea what he really means. The whole clean vs dirty thing as it relates to food just does not float my scientific boat so I tend to tune out a bit.