Meters

Gratope

Dislikes
Snobs, PC brigade ( Stupid rules and regs )
Hi guys, as a newbie I read the forum everyday and get great advice my Gp and practice nurse have " forgotten" to tell me. At my second educational visit with the diabetes nurse I asked about a meter. I was told I didn't need one.
The one thing mentioned on this forum is - test - test - test. So I have been trying to buy one, I have been in three separate Boots and they tell me they don't sell them or have none in. Trying a local Llyods chemist today. Any one else had this problem ? Where did you find them ? Must get testing, some days I have bad headaches and feel dizzy. Being careful with diet but need to know what affects me most. :evil:

Pneu

If your not getting the test strips on prescription (I assume your type 2?) then I would suggest you go for the meter with the cheapest strips! I know for instance the one-touch ultra strips are £22 for 50 over the counter! so its well worth getting the meter that has the cheapest strips!

faircot

Gratope
Boots do sell meters - at least the larger ones do. If you want cheap strips then buy them from Ebay or ring Abbott Labs who will probably give you a meter if you tell them you'll be testing regularly. They also sell strips direct (although it's not mentioned on their website) for around £14 a pot as opposed to the retail price of £25 ish.

Gratope

Dislikes
Thanks Pneu/faircot, again, great tips and advice, thanks. Got the appx price of the strips now. ( will try e-bay AND Abbott labs) how much are the meters ? Or did you get them as freebies from your med centre ?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Gratope said:
Hi guys, as a newbie I read the forum everyday and get great advice my Gp and practice nurse have " forgotten" to tell me. At my second educational visit with the diabetes nurse I asked about a meter. I was told I didn't need one.
The one thing mentioned on this forum is - test - test - test. So I have been trying to buy one, I have been in three separate Boots and they tell me they don't sell them or have none in. Trying a local Llyods chemist today. Any one else had this problem ? Where did you find them ? Must get testing, some days I have bad headaches and feel dizzy. Being careful with diet but need to know what affects me most. :evil:

I was in a Lloyds chemist the other day and there was a poster up saying they were giving away free bg meters, you may have to answer a few questions for the privilege but at least it's a cheap means of purchasing one.

Nigel

ailz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people that make me panic. Racism - in fact most 'isms'
On the Spirit website (Caresens) they will send you a free meter if you buy some of their strips - which at £12.75 for 50 are the cheapest I've found.

Cheers
Ailz

Gratope

Dislikes
Wow Ailz, that's fantastic. I shall be looking at the site right away. Thanks again.

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
Ailz - I've just ordered the meter (free), strips, lancets, control solution. Thanks for revealing this great deal :)

Saying that, once I ordered the stuff but my card details weren't asked for and at order confirmation it showed 'cheque'...so I'm now stuck on whether to send a cheque now or wait until they email me to ask? Do you send a cheque?

diabeticdawn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Re: Meters and home checking results

Hiya - I bought my meter from Boots and they had several ones to choose from. Everyone I have spoken to since my diagnosis three years ago said not to test, but having done so I now realise that even though I didn't have any of my previous symptoms, my levels are still quite high to what they should be. It has been an eye opener as I have also been making a note of what I eat and drink at the same time. The first night I checked at 10.10pm my result was 19.0mmol. The next morning it had gone down to 10.7 by 9.30am. It has then varied between 9.5 to 10.3 in the morning and 13.8 to 15.7 by around 10pm. The one I bought is the Accu-Check Compact Plus, I would definately recommend this one as i find it easy to use and understand, the only confusing part is that the results its giving you are not guaranteed. The testing strips come in a drum of 17 and costs around £5 - £7 (boots are on offer at £5.16 per drum). Does anyone know if I could work out my own HbA1c results using the data of my current machine to see if its working correctly other that buying a control solution ? :?:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Re: Meters and home checking results

diabeticdawn said:
Hiya - I bought my meter from Boots and they had several ones to choose from. Everyone I have spoken to since my diagnosis three years ago said not to test, but having done so I now realise that even though I didn't have any of my previous symptoms, my levels are still quite high to what they should be. It has been an eye opener as I have also been making a note of what I eat and drink at the same time. The first night I checked at 10.10pm my result was 19.0mmol. The next morning it had gone down to 10.7 by 9.30am. It has then varied between 9.5 to 10.3 in the morning and 13.8 to 15.7 by around 10pm. The one I bought is the Accu-Check Compact Plus, I would definately recommend this one as i find it easy to use and understand, the only confusing part is that the results its giving you are not guaranteed. The testing strips come in a drum of 17 and costs around £5 - £7 (boots are on offer at £5.16 per drum). Does anyone know if I could work out my own HbA1c results using the data of my current machine to see if its working correctly other that buying a control solution ? :?:

If you check the information for Newbies posted in Greetings and Introductions here you will find the figures for a Type 2.

Basically the current 2011 NICE guidelines are as follows :

Fasting (Waking)...........between 4 - 7 mmol/l
2 hrs after meals...........no more than 8.5 mmol/l.

If you can keep the post meal levels lower so much the better.........

To check the accuracy of your meter you will need to get control solutions from the manufacturers. you should get them for free, especially if you register your purchase with them.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wouldn't it be good if you could get your docs/nurses to watch theis short video?
There's a research project based on this simple method (which is no different to that done by lots of people on forums) had good results (pity it had to be sponsored by a meter company) .

Actually doing it this way , takes 14 strips a week just focusing on one aspect at a time. Doing it more intensively for a short while would perhaps get quicker results but would be more expenxive, especially if you have to self fund.
[youtube]wdSTKUVSAPg[/youtube]