What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Ziggy2017

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and injections
Morning everyone I feel a lot better today :D my blood sugar is a nice 4.4 today although I’m not sure my diabetes dr I’m going to see on Thursday will be happy with this pattern. Have a great day everyone :)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all, yes another Monday . I woke to a 5.8 ... I've been thinking a bit after much reading and watching lectures about the implication of being a type 2, albeit one who has some control. The research says that heightened blood sugar puts me at a higher risk of having a heart attack. There is a test which I'm thinking of asking for but wondered if anyone here had done this on the NHS. .... https://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/coronary-calcium-scan#1
Hi Orson I am pretty sure that this is test that @bulkbiker had in the last year and he talked about it on another thread. However it wasnt available on NHS so he had it done privately. I am hoping by tagging him he will turn up with an answer for you.

Reactions: jjraak

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.8 at 0800. Nothing to say about that. Had wine and hit the walnuts. Not buying them again till my numbers improve.
@Chronicle_Cat I enjoyed your post about Indian food. You are clearly a very good cook whereas I just dabble! I dont have access to any Asian/Indian grocers as I live on a very rural part of West Sussex.
Have a good day everyone. Stay well, safe and in control.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Hi Orson I am pretty sure that this is test that @bulkbiker had in the last year and he talked about it on another thread. However it wasnt available on NHS so he had it done privately. I am hoping by tagging him he will turn up with an answer for you.
That would be fab. It'd be great to "speak" to someone who's actually done it. Cheers....

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @OrsonKartt and @PenguinMum

Yep I had the CAC scan done in 2017 at Rivers Hospital in Hertfordshire.
It cost £225.00 then
https://www.rivershospital.co.uk/treatments/ct-calcium-scoring
Took about 3 minutes for the scan then had to hang around for the results (about 20 minutes) got a dvd with the pictures and report on.
I self referred (no need to involve GP's)
So far as I know (and I did a fair bit of research) that was the cheapest in the UK. I was at the PHC conference in 2017 and Ivor Cummings did ask who had had one and how much people had paid and I was the cheapest there too.
It's far cheaper in the USA and more places do it, A friend also recently had one done in Thailand again for much less cost so maybe if holidaying it might be worth investigating the cost.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning chums and chumettes. No testing just yet so have a 5.3 from this day in 2016. (Whole month ended a flat 5 fbg but A1c come June still a whopping 37) @AngiH and @Goacher55 hugs for bg levels going the wrong way on your motorways of control - there will be a roundabout along soon. @Charis1213 enjoy clothes shopping and the feeling of achievement in dropping all those sizes. Enjoy your day and play impeccably.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.6 today

the rain has stopped for now but it's getting increasingly windy here, today we think we'll have a go at tidying up round the edges of the oil tank base and moving anything nearby out of the way for when the new tank finally arrives ;)

Hope your day treats you well :)

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning chums and chumettes. No testing just yet so have a 5.3 from this day in 2016. (Whole month ended a flat 5 fbg but A1c come June still a whopping 37) @AngiH and @Goacher55 hugs for bg levels going the wrong way on your motorways of control - there will be a roundabout along soon. @Charis1213 enjoy clothes shopping and the feeling of achievement in dropping all those sizes. Enjoy your day and play impeccably.
I will do my husband has broken out in a sweat of fear though :joyful: He enjoys it really I'm sure. :)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all, 6.5 and creeping further from the 5's I'm hoping for
Don't get despondent with those figures Angi...it's still very early days & you are perfectly in range...lots of adjustments to diet & lifestyle can take some time to 'settle in'...don't rush there's no need...patience is very much needed...you're doing fine...often at the very near start we get BG levels that are puzzling...higher than we'd like & downright annoying...they will settle once your body adjusts to the lifestyle changes you've made...keep at it.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Prem51

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.6 today

the rain has stopped for now but it's getting increasingly windy here, today we think we'll have a go at tidying up round the edges of the oil tank base and moving anything nearby out of the way for when the new tank finally arrives ;)

Hope your day treats you well :)
Clothes shopping for me, but also we are going to have a go at clearing the loft of years of saved stuff lol, then next week the carport same problem . Selling to downsize in a few years . House is too big with four beds two bathrooms so now no kids at home far too big now .
Hope you have a great day and the tank arrives .

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't get despondent with those figures Angi...it's still very early days & you are perfectly in range...lots of adjustments to diet & lifestyle can take some time to 'settle in'...don't rush there's no need...patience is very much needed...you're doing fine...often at the very near start we get BG levels that are puzzling...higher than we'd like & downright annoying...they will settle once your body adjusts to the lifestyle changes you've made...keep at it.
Mine are the same some days have been nearer 7 but are up and down but been told the morning numbers take longer to settle .

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Hi @OrsonKartt and @PenguinMum

Yep I had the CAC scan done in 2017 at Rivers Hospital in Hertfordshire.
It cost £225.00 then
https://www.rivershospital.co.uk/treatments/ct-calcium-scoring
Took about 3 minutes for the scan then had to hang around for the results (about 20 minutes) got a dvd with the pictures and report on.
I self referred (no need to involve GP's)
So far as I know (and I did a fair bit of research) that was the cheapest in the UK. I was at the PHC conference in 2017 and Ivor Cummings did ask who had had one and how much people had paid and I was the cheapest there too.
It's far cheaper in the USA and more places do it, A friend also recently had one done in Thailand again for much less cost so maybe if holidaying it might be worth investigating the cost.
Thanks for the info! I'll check it out ...Best thoughts

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, I'm sure it will all settle soon. It can just be disappointing when I've been so good with low carb, but as I'm only in my 1st week and I have NAFLD I'm sure there is plenty to get rid of....

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine are the same some days have been nearer 7 but are up and down but been told the morning numbers take longer to settle .
They do take longer to come down Charis...we can get fixated on those waking numbers...I think the most important issue is not necessarily how high we 'spike' but how well we come down from them.

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They do take longer to come down Charis...we can get fixated on those waking numbers...I think the most important issue is not necessarily how high we 'spike' but how well we come down from them.
Agree and the meter tells us how well we are doing, I remember thinking that porridge was a health food and yet it spiked my sugar to 19.3 and that was after a walk so as someone at the time pointed out , how high was it if the walk brought it down to 19.3 . That really scared me and I cut porridge out , been cutting carbs right down and I'm seeing fantastic results :)

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not a lot lol!

Sausage and bacon in morning (low carb sausages)

Then had chicken mushrooms and peppers for lunch with some cheese (random I know)

Then some almonds later.

It’s been this level no matter what I eat.

Doctors are unsure if type 1 or type 2 yet so waiting results. Until then they put me on last lasting insulin but don’t think it’s quite enough!
Sounds like type 1 sb25

Reactions: jjraak