most googled questions on veganism 2019

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It boils down to freedom of choice. Foisting one's own ethos onto another person/group is intrinsically wrong.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45499368
To quote from said article
"The French government this year has introduced new regulations that ban vegetable-based food products in France from using words like "steak" and "sausage"."
My local Aldi has just opened a line of produce from The Vegan Butchers" who offer sausages, burgers, pigs in blankets all using ersatz meat. Seems the French have a good policy there.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The difference being that as a Low Carber I have never contemplated setting fire to a Walkers Crisps factory.
And im sure no sane moderate vegan has thought of settire fire to a meat factory - extremists are nearly all somewhat deranged, whatever their particular cause

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
And im sure no sane moderate vegan has thought of settire fire to a meat factory - extremists are nearly all somewhat deranged, whatever their particular cause

Aye but unfortunately it is the 'Screechers' who are heard. And this goes for all aspects of life i.e politics, religion, right to life activists etc.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aye but unfortunately it is the 'Screechers' who are heard. And this goes for all aspects of life i.e politics, religion, right to life activists etc.
Yes and we end up with the screechers on one side screeching at the screechers from the other side who screech back - each screeching about why they are right and the others are wrong while the rest of us either switch off, yawn or try to interject a little moderation

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes and we end up with the screechers on one side screeching at the screechers from the other side who screech back - each screeching about why they are right and the others are wrong while the rest of us either switch off, yawn or try to interject a little moderation

Are you not annoyed or a little irritated though when the screechers pass moral judgement upon you or try to emotionally blackmail you or use pseudo science to bamboozle you? Or even use religious beleif to what amounts to feathering their own nests in oder to change your lifestyle?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you not annoyed or a little irritated though when the screechers pass moral judgement upon you or try to emotionally blackmail you or use pseudo science to bamboozle you? Or even use religious beleif to what amounts to feathering their own nests in oder to change your lifestyle?
Mildly annoyed but mostly just think to myself “ what t*****s” and ignore them - whatever it is they are screeching about - Ive seen screechers on all sides of food / diet / politics / lifestyle / religious debates try to blackmail, bamboozle and make a fast buck - I generally think those that screech the loudest are the most sketchy and the least trustworthy

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mildly annoyed but mostly just think to myself “ what t*****s” and ignore them - whatever it is they are screeching about - Ive seen screechers on all sides of food / diet / politics / lifestyle / religious debates try to blackmail, bamboozle and make a fast buck - I generally think those that screech the loudest are the most sketchy and the least trustworthy

I couldn't agree more. It is the screechers who would silence debate that are the most 'dangerous'.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I couldn't agree more. It is the screechers who would silence debate that are the most 'dangerous'.
They all want to silence debate - the most important thing for them is usually to be seen as “ right” or as an “expert”

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The difference being that as a Low Carber I have never contemplated setting fire to a Walkers Crisps factory.
I am sure those who do that are not the genuine vegans but are just a rabble out to cause trouble probably most are not even vegans

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Because no kids have died through eating low carb?
Unless we are an expert on child mortality and how many have died on any diet which I do not think anyone here is we do not know anything about it

as34bc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was a vegetarian but when I was diagnosed with T2, I looked at various options available to me:

1. As a vegetarian, LCHF was extremely difficult to follow. For a carnivore this is probably the best diet for controlling T2.

2. Fasting was an option but I do not have the will power to go hungry.

3. Veganism. I learnt from a few people that Veganism can be just as unhealthy so it will not help much with T2. To bring my T2 under control, I was advised to go on a Whole Food Plant Based (WFPB) diet. This worked for me and my HBA1C dropped from 94 to 49 in about 3 months and was down to 37 a few months later. Therefore, a WFPD diet which is effectively a healthy version of Veganism worked for me.

I have to take the following supplements:

1. Vitamin B12. I was slightly deficient before but once I changed to WHPB diet this became essential due to the clean nature of food we eat. Apparently, if I lived on a farm and ate food directly from the field before washing it, I would get all the B12 I needed!

2. Vitamin D. Most vegetarians are deficient in this anyway unless they eat a lot of eggs. As a vegan, a supplement becomes essential unless you live in a sunny country.

I hate the militant vegans. Everybody should have the right to make their own choices.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was a vegetarian but when I was diagnosed with T2, I looked at various options available to me:

1. As a vegetarian, LCHF was extremely difficult to follow. For a carnivore this is probably the best diet for controlling T2.

2. Fasting was an option but I do not have the will power to go hungry.

3. Veganism. I learnt from a few people that Veganism can be just as unhealthy so it will not help much with T2. To bring my T2 under control, I was advised to go on a Whole Food Plant Based (WFPB) diet. This worked for me and my HBA1C dropped from 94 to 49 in about 3 months and was down to 37 a few months later. Therefore, a WFPD diet which is effectively a healthy version of Veganism worked for me.

I have to take the following supplements:

1. Vitamin B12. I was slightly deficient before but once I changed to WHPB diet this became essential due to the clean nature of food we eat. Apparently, if I lived on a farm and ate food directly from the field before washing it, I would get all the B12 I needed!

2. Vitamin D. Most vegetarians are deficient in this anyway unless they eat a lot of eggs. As a vegan, a supplement becomes essential unless you live in a sunny country.

I hate the militant vegans. Everybody should have the right to make their own choices.
It is a rare event that we have a poster who has experienced success when doing WFPB, and I would like to hear more of your journey down that path. Please post in the Success section, and describe this journey. We have had many here that support WFPB, but when I asked them to share their own personal journey, the threads went cold and they were not forthcoming with anything other than glossy promo videos prepared by the authors of certain books. It came across as hard sell, and we were unable to have proper discussion on this topic. Please share.

Personally, my own experience with WFPB has been a disaster on the occasions I tried it, but then I am not vegetarian so was probably missing a trick or two.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is a rare event that we have a poster who has experienced success when doing WFPB, and I would like to hear more of your journey down that path. Please post in the Success section, and describe this journey. We have had many here that support WFPB, but when I asked them to share their own personal journey, the threads went cold and they were not forthcoming with anything other than glossy promo videos prepared by the authors of certain books. It came across as hard sell, and we were unable to have proper discussion on this topic. Please share.

Personally, my own experience with WFPB has been a disaster on the occasions I tried it, but then I am not vegetarian so was probably missing a trick or two.
I think they are probably reluctant to post because they know any diet other than LCHF does not get a very good reception on this group

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think they are probably reluctant to post because they know any diet other than LCHF does not get a very good reception on this group
If they have success, then they earn the right to speak. Although I have myself been one who decries WFPB, it is the salesmanlike tactics used and lack of proper science I distrust. I have no problem with anyone making their personal choice to follow this WOE but not when they try to persuade others here to follow, but cannot properly back up their statements and assertions. Then I query it.

M

Member496333

[...]any diet other than LCHF does not get a very good reception on this group

That being so, would it not simply be an indicator of the overwhelming success of LCHF in treating diabetes?

Last edited by a moderator: