Swollen feet

gazzab

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Everyone

I am 49 type 2 diabetic. Badly controlled blood sugars due to a variety of reasons.

My feet and ankles have really swollen up I can push a dimple into the selling very deeply and it takes well over a minute to come back to being normal. The interweb is useless because when I looked it up basically I am dying of various diseases. I don't trust my doctor even if I could get an appointment.

Anyone any ideas. I have had a headache from around the same time the swelling was first noticed. Not get any other symptms than that

Thanks in advance

oh please no posts just saying see a GP much appreciated

Reactions: Ponchu

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"oh please no posts just saying see a GP much appreciated"

You know what I am going to say, so please do see a doctor.

There are many things it could be such as high blood pressure (go to a local pharmacy and they may be able to check that), kidney problems etc but it does need to be treated unless you want to risk your lone (or short) term health and possible stroke , heart attack etc.

I don't want to panic you but please, please see a doctor as it is unlikely to get better on it's own.

Reactions: Antechinus

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It sounds like pitting oedema. There are many reasons for it and some are very serious medical conditions. If it were me I would get it checked out by a doctor.

Reactions: dmckatana
M

Member496333

With respect, diabetic with uncontrolled blood glucose concentration and swollen feet - I’d bypass the GP and dial 111.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
"oh please no posts just saying see a GP much appreciated"

You know what I am going to say, so please do see a doctor.

There are many things it could be such as high blood pressure (go to a local pharmacy and they may be able to check that), kidney problems etc but it does need to be treated unless you want to risk your lone (or short) term health and possible stroke , heart attack etc.

I don't want to panic you but please, please see a doctor as it is unlikely to get better on it's own.

Can you not ask to see another doctor?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone

I am 49 type 2 diabetic. Badly controlled blood sugars due to a variety of reasons.

My feet and ankles have really swollen up I can push a dimple into the selling very deeply and it takes well over a minute to come back to being normal. The interweb is useless because when I looked it up basically I am dying of various diseases. I don't trust my doctor even if I could get an appointment.

Anyone any ideas. I have had a headache from around the same time the swelling was first noticed. Not get any other symptms than that

Thanks in advance

oh please no posts just saying see a GP much appreciated
And yeah, here's another one who wants you to go to a doc. If you're badly controlled, it could be anything. Like heart disease. or kidneys. or an infection. Better safe than sorry, man. Get thee to the quack.

Reactions: dmckatana

gazzab

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for your replies. I know I should see a GP but you get the usual here's a sick note option. The other doctors are so filled with appointments you can't get anything even well in advance especially when they only allow appointments for that day. They open a 08:30 when you start ringing you can't get through until 08:50 and then it's all appointments are gone.

I realise its pitted oedema just really considering the answers google gave doesn't really fit any of the symptoms I wondered if anyone was suffering similarly.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can you not get an emergency appointment (that's the only way to get one on the same day at my docs), you really need it seen quickly, unchecked/ignored foot problems are the main reasons for amputations for diabetics afaik.

Reactions: SimonCrox
M

Member496333

Can you not get an emergency appointment (that's the only way to get one on the same day at my docs), you really need it seen quickly, unchecked/ignored foot problems are the main reasons for amputations for diabetics afaik.

Agree. I don’t imagine a diabetic with foot problems will have much trouble getting an emergency appointment.

gazzab

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks, everyone. I actually expected just bog standard go see the doctor but you actually gave good suggestions i am calling 111 for more advise.

Reactions: Antje77
M

Member496333

Thanks, everyone. I actually expected just bog standard go see the doctor but you actually gave good suggestions i am calling 111 for more advise.

Good man. You know it makes sense! Best of luck and keep us updated. Fingers crossed that it’s nothing that can’t be easily addressed :)

Reactions: SimonCrox

SimonCrox

Yes, medical advice would be useful.
Some drugs eg calcium channel blockers (amlodopine, felodopine, nifedepine etc), and TZDs eg Pioglitazone and alpha blockers (eg doxazosin) cause swollen feet. Hopefully this is the cause and the ofending drug can be swapped.
Sometimes after a period of poor control, better control with insulin causes temporary swelling which resolves over 6 weeks or so.
I guess that you have read the other causes, but they would be less likely than the above in a 49 year old person.
Best wishes

gazzab

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi SimonCrox. None of those causes applies to me I don't take any of those medications in fact I don't take any medications. Not on insulin and blood glucose is unchanged for years.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I used to have a badly swollen foot/lower leg, since dropping the level of carbs I eat the swelling has gone even in the heat of last summer. I did have it checked with a GP and there was nothing they would do but prescribe diuretic tablets and the comment was that I was 'too young' for those. It is not a quick fix but over time it worked for me.

Reactions: gazzab and ringi

gazzab

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So I managed to get an appointment for tomorrow then the swelling went down and back to normal so i will cancel the appointment so someone who needs it can have it

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great that it has gone down but if it comes back do go as things that are treated eary, if they actualy need treated, respond better.