Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'll be the first to admit that I always hated the term 'diabetic' and have even corrected people in the past, however nowadays I take a more relaxed view on this and couldn't care less either way, as long as it's polite then no offense is taken! :)

Nigel

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I prefer "person with diabetes" to "diabetic", but it can get very clumsy and long-winded, so I don't mind as long as the speaker's attitude is appropriate, ie not suggesting they think of you as "the hyperglycaemia in bed 5".

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
I totally agree with all points to be honest!!

I don't mind some one saying i'm diabetic, as i know it's just one way of saying things and i certainly wouldn't take offence, it's just a definately prefer saying having diabetes!

borofergie said:
I wear it like a badge with pride.

It's a part of who I am, it influences how I lead my life, in an entirely positive way (eating and exercise). It doesn't disable or disadvantage me in anyway. I don't know why I should be ashamed of it or hide it.

I also really like this post :)

I used to feel like doing diabetes stuff made EVERYONE stare and that i was on show when i was first diagnosed but now i am definately NOT ashamed that i have diabetes now, and will openly discuss and talk about the fact i have it as well as testing BG's in the open and doing pump stuff. (note that i automatically typed 'that i have diabetes' and not 'i'm diabetic' :lol:)

I really like there is a mixed view on it, some are totally not fussed, others may twinge at the word.:)

diabetes51

Dislikes
I am old fashioned so rude people, swearing , lack of good manners.
People trying to make me live in fear of complications instead of encouraging me to enjoy life. especially those who have never bothered to educate themselves about T1 diabetes.
People who eat/sleep/drink their diabetes,and let it rule their life!
My name is Liz, that is who I am, I am an individual who has had diabetes integrated into MY life for 51 years, That is how I live my life - the diabetes comes second after me fulfilling my full potential as an individual. That is my choice, however I have friends who prefer to label themselves as diabetics - that is their choice.

I spent years in nurse education and I ran modules in "Caring for people with diabetes" for nurses in training - please note in the title of the modules "person" takes priority over "diabetes". I strongly believe that the professionals dealing with people, who integrate diabetes into their lives, should learn to ask individuals how they like to be addressed and how they see themselves Some people are happy to be seen as "diabetics", that is their choice. Others do not want to be seen in this way and should also have that choice.

So it is my personal apinion that we should learn to ask each other what they want, and respect that. But isn't that just affording people the respect they deserve, no matter who or what they are :?:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just came to mind but does any oldies remember the term ''sugar diabetes''? This was often used when I was first diagnosed but haven't heard it for years..........thank goodness! :lol:

Nigel

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Good question - I really don't mind telling people that I have diabetes, not something to be ashamed of - however, I do find it easier to say that I cannot eat sugar. Diabetic is not a very pretty word really :wink: Then I guess it is not a pretty disease :)

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Good question - I really don't mind telling people that I have diabetes, not something to be ashamed of - however, I do find it easier to say that I cannot eat sugar. Diabetic is not a very pretty word really :wink: Then I guess it is not a pretty disease :)

cymraes

"Diabetic" or "person with diabetes", it doesn't really matter to me. I have had the condition for 40years, the condition doesn't have me.

I was more upset with one of my work colleagues who said that "I would never be normal again" & the Driving Test Examiner who, when I asked why there was a big red "D" on the test form, informed me that I was disabled :!:

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
cymraes said:
"Diabetic" or "person with diabetes", it doesn't really matter to me. I have had the condition for 40years, the condition doesn't have me.

I was more upset with one of my work colleagues who said that "I would never be normal again" & the Driving Test Examiner who, when I asked why there was a big red "D" on the test form, informed me that I was disabled :!:

I hope you proved that colleague of yours wrong! :twisted:

HpprKM

Dislikes
Disabled, hmmph - is that pc :?:

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
It's funny with regards to diabetes being seen as a disability, in a peculiar way. In general it is not seen as a disability (ie: you can't get any type of disability benefits for it) but it is covered by the disability act if you apply for or are in a job. You can also lose your license if you have more than one hypo a year. That is, you can lose an HGV/PSV license and/or have a 3 year limit imposed on your car/motorbike license.

You are allowed to do some jobs because you are not disabled but not allowed by law to do some other jobs because you do have a disability, which seen from safety side of things I absolutely agree with.

grh1904

Some interesting comments posted so far, reading it reminds me of that sketch in Monty Python & The Holy Grail: -

"I'M NOT A WITCH!!, I'M NOT A WITCH!!!"

"YES, BUT YOU ARE DRESSED AS ONE!!!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

wibble

I call myself diabolic to make it more light hearted

ebony321 said:
.. the term 'diabetic'?

Sounds weird i know but i don't like to be labelled as 'diabetic' i much prefer just saying i have diabetes, not i'm diabetic.

I was talking about it with my friend who has epilepsy, she doesn't like being labelled epileptic as she described it as it feels that makes it sound like her epilepsy has her, not her having epilepsy.

does that make sense?

I don't particularly mind someone saying 'oh ebony is diabetic' i just would rather it said like 'oh ebony has diabetes'

Like the diabetes belongs to me, i don't belong to diabetes.

God i really hope someone understands this as it sounded much more clearer in thought!

anyway happy to hear peoples thoughts :)

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
interesting discussion.

I cant remember how I have told people in the past but I think I would have said 'I'm diabetic'. What other label can be used? Diabeties sufferrer?
Many people are quite ignorant when it comes to understanding diabetes so I probably would have avoided saying 'I have diabetes' because of the connotation that it is somehow caught from someone or something which as we know is nonsense. It also seems to imply (in my mind) that I am walking around with it and can pass it on to all and sundry just by sneezing!!
Whatever I have said or will say however is usually followed by a short explanation of types (1, 2 etc) and ways to treat it effectively and if I am at the dinner table saying only one potato please!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hiya all. would dislike 'diabetic' very much if my fantastic GP and surgery staff started to ever say she's over there the diabetic instead of anna's over there... OR changed to verbally saying we have a diabetic coming in instead of we have anna coming in ... that "would" hurt n change my feelings n veiwpoint. if you see what I mean? Anna.x

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Just a Name :mrgreen:

[youtube]k3AeIFup1qY[/youtube]

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
You ought to hear what people come out with to describe my son having Down syndrome -Downsy, Downs, Mongoloid, Trisomy 21, Retard and a few other variations. The only really annoying comment I get about diabetes is "did I feed him too much sugar?" Lucky it isn't obvious that his thyroid gland doesn't work either.

Katstodian

Hey all.
First off - I have to admit that I've only skimmed through the thread and not read all the posts thoroughly.

So I'll just answer the OP's question:
I've been diagnosed a very short while ago (5 weeks), and I use the two terms alternately according to my mood and stance, really.
When at the pub the other day, I had beer for the first time since my diagnosis. My friends had bought a pitcher and I was drinking from a smaller glass so that I had an easier time keeping track, counting the calories and generally making sure to keep the amount low. Someone who didn't know me commented on my glass size and I described myself as someone with diabetes and explained that it helped me to keep the amount lower. In that situation, I felt good about it - like I'm in charge of the illness, it's something to live with.

But since my diagnosis is still fresh, I'm still going through seeing things on shelves in super markets or having conversations about food with friends where the fact that "I'm a diabetic" dawns on me, and I end up having that momentary annoyance and sadness that some things I kind of took for granted are now either a nono or a very rare indulgence.

So, in short (yeah, I know, too late now, really), I don't really like being referred to as a diabetic myself, no. I kind of equate it with the moments of despair that follow. Exactly like some people have said - like being a victim. So when I have to talk about it myself, I do much rather prefer to say that I have diabetes. And when some people then just go "well, don't eat sugar then" or other facepalm comments, I gladly ask if they would like to know what it actually is and does and talk to them about it.