What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@BibaBee whoa Cabot don’t even have that one on their own website!
@set-in-stone just how up close and personal do you want to get with those cows?
@jjraak hope all goes well Monday! And I’ve seen all kinds of pepper cheeses! And chocolate. I got some Ghost Pepper chocolate for my son,who is seriously into HOT, as in breaking out into an instant sweat and turning red. He did just that!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all. Another late post.

@DJC3 -- Keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow. Thinking of you.
@jjraak -- Good luck for Monday.

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. A small piece of leftover quiche, my husband had gotten into it the night before, so there wasn't much left.

Lunch: Nothing.

Snack: Two squares of 85% chocolate. A couple of pecans.

Dinner: Two scrambled eggs with cheese. Some roasted vegetables. Two sticks of manchego cheese. No wine today.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But i still feel rough if i go too long without food, (not 'ill' just not the jaunty chap i was a few weeks back ) not sure if this is pre adaptation and i should just man up and suck it up ( or not,)
I am the same @jjraak if I don't eat regularly, so it's not just you! I've always been like this even as a child and need to eat every five hours at least. I think part of this is because I can't eat big portions, my meals are varied but quiet small but I've always put this down to being petite (polite way of saying short):rolleyes:

I am amazed when I see the amount of people on this thread that fast and hold down jobs and have busy, hectic lives. Hats off to them I couldn't do it! Don't be too hard on yourself you have to do what is right for you, everyone is physically different and you shouldn't make yourself feel ill by not eating when you need to. Hope this helps:)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am the same @jjraak if I don't eat regularly, so it's not just you! I've always been like this even as a child and need to eat every five hours at least. I think part of this is because I can't eat big portions, my meals are varied but quiet small but I've always put this down to being petite (polite way of saying short):rolleyes:

I am amazed when I see the amount of people on this thread that fast and hold down jobs and have busy, hectic lives. Hats off to them I couldn't do it! Don't be too hard on yourself you have to do what is right for you, everyone is physically different and you shouldn't make yourself feel ill by not eating when you need to. Hope this helps:)
I know nothing but FWIW I agree with the part in italics. Fair to say I am far from an LCHF fan but I think I have found a compromise that is holding for me. Other people's regime may provide a framework - basically all have LC at heart - but the what, when and how much is highly personalised. You are only at the start of your adaptation so you are doing fine.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
might try that the fruit cheese now you've said.,

Favourite for added ' flavours ', is mexicana..hot n spicy

(now i think of it..i miss the chilli chocolate we used to get, must check if it was high in dark choc % )
I'm another fan of Wensleydale with cranberries. Must get some next time I hit Dobbies as their cheese counter in the farm shop is excellent. One thing I miss about travelling for work is the Farm Shop at Tebay Services. Loved that place.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Fasting was my life when I worked as I was rushing from venue to venue. Not intentional but just a fact of life. I would try to have breakfast (as I spent a lot of time in hotels) but sometimes sleep won. So my daytime diet was large amounts of coffee, water and cigarettes! Not so healthy! I also wasn't diabetic but I did feel queasy if the no food was too long. My cure? A mars bar while stuck on the motorways - makes me shudder now. If I'd only known then what I know now.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@BibaBee , re the batch cooking have you tried the clafoutis? It's really quick. I use frozen raspberries for convenience (no rinsing and they are cheaper) then just 'chick' the batter on top, into the oven and ta dah!

Do you have the recipe booklet from this thread? It's full of super quick puddings including microwave chocolatey, creamy things that take about 30 seconds:happy:

That should say chuck not chick!! No poultry harmed in the making of the clafoutis:)

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I love Wensleydale with cranberries but it's a bit carby (as I found out at Christmas)!

Mr Chook hates any Wensleydale cheese (he's a strong cheddaror blue cheese man)and was more than a bit put out when we went to the Wensleydale area on a day out and stopped for a cuppa at a lovely little old fashioned tearoom, that he ended up with quite large portion of plain Wensleydale cheese on top of a (huge) slice of the fabulous fruit cake that was on display on the counter. That combination was the house speciality and I'm sure it would have been lovely for anyone else he just hadn't read the signs up all round the place.

So, today...

Breakfast: Bulletproof Coffee

Lunch: (Unusually peckish, so...) Small slice if h/m cheeses ground almond bread, buttered

Dinner: Sea bass fillets fried in butter with squeeze of lemon, broccoli and roasted courgette

Pudding: Square of 85% or whatever is in the freezer

Drinks: usual weekday drinks - black decaff coffee before lunch, water or lemon and ginger tea after lunch up until dinner and after dinner just plain water.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Do you have the recipe booklet from this thread? It's full of super quick puddings including microwave chocolatey, creamy things that take about 30 seconds:happy:

I didn't know there was such a thing - I'd love a copy too, please

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@jjraak and @Tori71 I am in your boat too! I too think everybody is different. Not sure I’d make it through even a day fasting. @maglil55 I don’t know how you did all that running around on an empty stomach! I was brought up with packed lunches, and when I played in the symphony and we did our dinky little tours, I was the one with the cooler in tow. Mostly because I hated spending my per diem on awful truck stop and fast food. But the habit has stuck, and I pack any meal I’m going to be out of the house for unless it’s an intentional restaurant meal.
Gonna search for that recipe booklet!
Have to eat tons of yogurt today- I take an antibx before dental appointments, and have to have a gut full of good bugs to help when the massive dose of killer arrives. I like yogurt so it’s not really a problem

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@BibaBee , re the batch cooking have you tried the clafoutis? It's really quick. I use frozen raspberries for convenience (no rinsing and they are cheaper) then just 'chick' the batter on top, into the oven and ta dah!

Thank you. :happy: I've not tried the clafoutis yet, but it is definitely on my list to try! I do have a copy of the recipe booklet, it's brilliant (thank you @shelley262 !). I've done the olive oil choc cake (in individual portions), lazy choc mousse and seedy crackers. Sadly my microwave blew up recently , so I can't do the microwave recipes at the moment.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love Wensleydale with cranberries but it's a bit carby (as I found out at Christmas)!

Mr Chook hates any Wensleydale cheese (he's a strong cheddaror blue cheese man)and was more than a bit put out when we went to the Wensleydale area on a day out and stopped for a cuppa at a lovely little old fashioned tearoom, that he ended up with quite large portion of plain Wensleydale cheese on top of a (huge) slice of the fabulous fruit cake that was on display on the counter. That combination was the house speciality and I'm sure it would have been lovely for anyone else he just hadn't read the signs up all round the place.

So, today...

Breakfast: Bulletproof Coffee

Lunch: (Unusually peckish, so...) Small slice if h/m cheeses ground almond bread, buttered

Dinner: Sea bass fillets fried in butter with squeeze of lemon, broccoli and roasted courgette

Pudding: Square of 85% or whatever is in the freezer

Drinks: usual weekday drinks - black decaff coffee before lunch, water or lemon and ginger tea after lunch up until dinner and after dinner just plain water.
Mr Chook seems to be a man of impeccable taste and judging by that visit more sinned against than sinning. He has my deepest sympathy:angelic:

Reactions: zauberflote

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am in your boat too! I too think everybody is different. Not sure I’d make it through even a day fasting
@zauberflote @jjraak , forgot to say I do intermittent fast (as it says below) but it's when I'm asleep!! I try not to eat late at night so that there is a 12 hour break for my pancreas at least;)!!!

Do you want the recipe book sending @zauberflote ?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am amazed when I see the amount of people on this thread that fast and hold down jobs and have busy, hectic lives.

For me the busy-ness helps with fasting. Find it so much easier when my mind’s focused elsewhere. Work ran away with me today and I didn’t get to eat but also didn’t feel hungry. Now sat on a train and feeling v hungry! Unlikely there’s anything I’ll want to eat so will have to wait until I get there. Weekends are the easiest of the lot.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Its a weird thing with me... if I make a conscious decision to 'fast' then I'm constantly hungry (even when i wouldn't normally be) but quite often i can forget to eat and won't be hungry at all. Like I said, weird!! :banghead:

I always like the idea of fastening (love the idea of autophagy) and often think about trying it again but at the moment I have really awful DP which keeps on climbing until I eat something - although I do find bulletproof coffee stops it dead.