Type 2 How do you thicken stews please?

Squeekyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
TV: don't watch TV, find most programs boring.Don't have a telly now but do watch videos now & then on a monitor.
Hi all,
made a lovely beef stew yestetday but could not recall how to thicken the gravy without the use of cornflour, any help please?
Happy New year to you all!

Squeekyboy

Reactions: Ponchu

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,
made a lovely beef stew yestetday but could not recall how to thicken the gravy without the use of cornflour, any help please?

Squeekyboy
Xantham gum? Personally I don't bother.

Sparkle1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I bought some of this Xantham gum last week to thicken a casserole. I mixed it as per the instructions and it was like glue. Took ages to get it off the jug, fork and bar mix. Threw it out and was glad I didn’t add it to the meal. Ended up not thickening the casserole and eating it from a bowl. Haven’t worked this issue out yet so maybe some of the others could help.

Reactions: Prem51 and Ponchu

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is also arrowroot which I haven't tried. I have only used xantham gum a couple of times. I used extreme caution and added tiny amounts at a time giving it time to work before adding more.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I use xantham gum. I sprinkle in a quarter of a teaspoon at a time and then stir thoroughly. Occasionally I might add another quarter of a teaspoon but mostly the first quarter of a teaspoon is enough.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit late for this time but I find tossing the meat in a tablespoon of flour for a stew for 6 people is enough to thicken a large stew with minimal carbs - xantham gum is very effective if you use it properly

DONT mix it with anything before added - sift it in small amounts (about 1/2 a teaspoon at a time) through a tea strainer directly into the thing you're thickening making sure to stir constantly- usually no more than a teaspoon will be enough - it can make a gravy look a bit opaque so if you want to darken it add a couple of dashes of Worcestershire sauce right at the end

Reactions: Sparkle1953

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you can be bothered my way would be when cooked remove meat and half the veg with slotted spoon (what we used to call the ‘holy spoon’ when I was little) and blend with a stick blender then replace the meat and veg. This gives it a bit of body and you are still getting all the veg! Even better if you can then leave it till the next day to eat and heat gently it thickens even more. I use this method with soup also.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We used tiny X gum and it worked for beef stew. I am just concerned about what it actually is and if it’s healthy.
I wouldn't worry too much about it - it's widely used in the food industry and if you clean your teeth it's almost certainly in your toothpaste :) - in fact its purported to be beneficial for diabetes in helping lower blood sugars

https://selfhacked.com/blog/xanthan-gum/

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Hi all,

Squeekyboy
Xantham gum, you just get half a tsp and add it to your stew. I got mine from Morrisons

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I bought some of this Xantham gum last week to thicken a casserole. I mixed it as per the instructions and it was like glue. Took ages to get it off the jug, fork and bar mix. Threw it out and was glad I didn’t add it to the meal. Ended up not thickening the casserole and eating it from a bowl. Haven’t worked this issue out yet so maybe some of the others could help.
I just sprinkle half a tsp into my casserole and it turns out fine. Just the same as if it were cornflour

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep a stockpot in the fridge and use it regularly for 'background' moisture. Any leftovers are put in there and blended, and it sets solid when cooled. Stews and casseroles, meat needing to be reheated, big batches of veges, all get cooked in the stockpot and then fished out to be served

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
what about Comptons gravy salt , it has corn flour in but I wondered myself if I can use this to thicken stews. I use corned beef too and that thickens stews and tastes good .

Reactions: Prem51

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Very little stock, then add double cream and boil. Greek YOGURT (not reduced fat) and some soft cheeses also work well.

Jon1

I am on low carb high fat diet and have lost 20kg in 4 months. I use a slow cooker and make lots of stews. To thicken I use unsalted butter which I heat in the microwave and then add small amounts of either plain or self raising flour until it forms a paste which I then add to the stew. This has not stopped me losing weight and enriches the stew and thickens it.

Janetoby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If you can get some Okra (usually in an asian vegetable shop), add this to any casserole or stir fry - it's a great thickener. I only use 2-3 small ones in any sort of cooking as it can be a bit too effective. Wash it, chop it up seeds and all and it doesn't affect the taste. It feels somewhat slimy when you are cutting it up.