Type 2 Optimal BG Levels?

Ponchu

I am re-examining this question.

First, a brief explanation.

I know what “official” gov’t approved or Pharma financed studies’ numbers are. I trust them to propagate their own needs & promote more prescription drugs; not with my health.

I know that some, like Ken Berry say , “ you never want to be above 140...”

I know many of us set goals to keep it under a specific number.

I know that some of the goal orientated numbers can discourage those who do not ever see said numbers. I don’t want to discourage anyone. I do want to challenge myself for health excellence. I’m open to trying anything for 30 days.

With Dr Ken Berry, he gave that number but doesn’t appear to have anything to back it up regarding when damage from high BG levels begin. I like his videos but I’m not convinced that he’s very knowledgeable. He’s persuaded, like many of us, by experience but does he have anything to back this number? (It’s the one I have tried to go by)

Questions:

Are there numbers that appear to have consensus that are dangerous to any one?

What is your goal or ideal numbers?

What have you experienced when you’ve maintained them?

What have you experienced during times of lapse?

Have you ever used BG numbers to guide weight loss?

If so, did driving down BG (diet & exercise) produce weight loss?

Did failure to maintain said numbers allow for weight to creep back on?

Jason Fung has treated lots of highs—dialysis. Orthopedic surgeons have amputated consequences of highs.
I’m hoping to learn more thru consensus of opinion. It’s not easy discerning which studies are persuasive, deceptive, ideological (vegan) or interested ($) and which are not.

If you’re comfortable sharing, please do.

I’m Type 2, yet believe eating like a Type 2 should rather than our standard western diet is best for non diabetics, “pre” diabetics and Type 2 diabetics. I do not understand Type 1.

Thanks, everyone.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Ponchu,

I believe this 140 (7.8) number comes from Jenny Ruhl's site https://www.bloodsugar101.com/organ-damage-and-blood-sugar-level. She does a thorough job in looking at all the studies linking blood sugar levels with complications and even though it might be a bit dated by now, I still think it's a very good resource. This was a website I found right after diagnosis and found enormously helful.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr Bernstein is very keen on extremely low numbers.
I prefer to be below 6mmol/l at all times and manage that 99% of the time.
I like to hedge my bets....

Reactions: Ponchu
M

Member496333

I developed a knack of knowing when my pancreas is having to work hard in order to maintain glucose homeostasis. For me anything elevated over my baseline of around 5.5 and I know I have a lot of insulin in my blood. I don’t set an upper limit on an arbitrary number per se. My goal is always to stem the flow of insulin - say I set a limit of 6.5 and stayed at 6.4 constantly for a week - that would mean that although I may be “in range” I still have a constant drip of insulin in order to achieve it. This is what gave me diabetes over the course of decades, and I don’t want to get it back. For me it’s all about insulin insulin insulin. Keep it the pancreas where it belongs.

My meter is now used only for collecting data which may show an upward or downward overall trend. All that said, this is my position now. Earlier in my career as a professional diabetic I was checking my blood if the wind changed. Now I believe the single best practically measurable marker of metabolic health is fasting glucose.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I developed a knack of knowing when my pancreas is having to work hard in order to maintain glucose homeostasis.
That's very clever, how do you do that?

For me anything elevated over my baseline of around 5.5 and I know I have a lot of insulin in my blood.
Or not enough.

For me it’s all about insulin insulin insulin. Keep it the pancreas where it belongs.
It's no use in your pancreas, it needs to get into your bloodstream, insulin is a vital hormone, ask any Type 1.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that insulin is important and needs to be kept down. This to me means low carbs, no fruit apart from a few berries but not every day, and no snacking. I believe it is high circulating insulin that causes all the damage and leads to complications and weight gain. It is criminal that we can't have insulin tests as a matter of routine.

I only test now to maintain my personal data. I have no need to test out meals as such. I already know what I can eat safely. I am only interested in 2 levels - fasting and before evening meal. I also have the Libre part time, mainly when we are on holiday.

So, as long as my fasting level is low 5s or under and my before evening meal level is 4s I am happy.

I lost all my excess weight over 4 years ago and haven't gained any since then, so weight control doesn't enter my head, at least for now.

grabarry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anybody used any of the products on the market like XLS medical for weight loss I’m having a real problem shift weight
Need to lose about 5 kegs
Thanks

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am only going on my own experience and a lot of testing and experimentation, I should also explain that my condition has developed my own personal choice of how I deal with blood glucose levels and readings and how it effects my health. It also gives me the information about what certain foods and the hormonal response does to my health and well-being.
An optimum number is where your body reacts to what has been derived from the carbs and sugars you allow. Too much over time will increase your glucose levels, having hyperglycaemia is not good over time. Compound this with insulin resistance and the balance of hormones will effect your health.
Having Hypoglycaemia will also not be healthy.
However, and I have read this much more lately, that having fluctuating blood glucose levels daily, is the worst of all to your general health and to your organs health, the over production of hormones to deal with the food we have, causes obesity and/or ill health in most T2s.
I have been in ketosis to control my blood glucose levels, this has worked for me, because my levels remain in or just above normal blood glucose levels, the health improvements have been dramatic and maintained for nearly five years.
My health problems and symptoms have abated.
Having hyperglycaemia, Hypoglycaemia, hyperinsulinaemia, and the rollercoaster ride of blood glucose levels was literally killing me. Being in ketosis has saved my life and got my health back.
There is no magic number, because this is so individual, because you might be able to tolerate more or less carbs than another T2. But if you control your blood glucose levels whilst on a low carb(ish) lifestyle, find your balance of protein, good fats and low carb, this should be sufficient to lower your hba1c levels, and improve your general health.

Best wishes

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Ponchu,

I believe this 140 (7.8) number comes from Jenny Ruhl's site https://www.bloodsugar101.com/organ-damage-and-blood-sugar-level. She does a thorough job in looking at all the studies linking blood sugar levels with complications and even though it might be a bit dated by now, I still think it's a very good resource. This was a website I found right after diagnosis and found enormously helful.
Yes, agreed! When I first discovered that I had a problem with my bg, I took out all the books on Diabetes in my local library system (about 10). Fortunately, Jenny Ruhl's "Your Diabetes Questions Answered" was among them, and I quickly returned all the others. Through her I also discovered Dr Bernstein's classic book "Diabetes Solution". Her website is very easy to negotiate. @Ponchu you might like to read the section devoted to case histories of people who have managed to avoid complications by keeping their A1cs under 5% (31mmol/mol).
https://www.bloodsugar101.com/the-5-club

Reactions: Ponchu and ziggy_w

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the aim is for HBA1Cs to be in the 5 range eg to be under 5.9% or 41mmol/mol.

Yes, she calls it being ‘in the 5% club’ and it covers anyone with an HbA1c in the 5.0-5.9% range.
Of course these are not the mmol/mol units that are now usually used in the UK.

Ponchu

Fasting & before dinner numbers makes sense.

I’ve learned that I tolerate bell pepper in a salad, for example as it doesn’t go above 110.

I’m an also measuring ketones

I’m only 6 months in, but am near ideal weight.

Bread spikes me but even more so, for days afterwards, my appetite is greatly increased.

After testing Irish soda bread Sunday, today was the first day I didn’t feel hungry every 2 hours and sugar cravings finally easing.

Before the holidays, I don’t think I’ve gone over 20 g of carbs for months.

I’m grateful for all sharing their journeys.

I’m a newbie.