Just diagnosed with Prediabetes

carolou

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
Well no symptoms yes a little bit overweight but not massively so this came as a surprise. Not sure what to do/eat as I have not been given any advice yet but reading up as much as possible. Hubby is suggesting a drastic diet but that's not for me!!! So I will keep looking....I am being referred which is good

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Depends on your diet but no way would I dismiss that advice out of hand

Reactions: TrendyD

TrendyD

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was in your position last Thursday! These forums are great and so much information. I’m personally reducing my carb intake! I thought life with stuffing my face with chips etc would kill me but I’ve honestly not missed them.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'll tag @daisy1 to provide useful info for newbies. In general this means lowering the carbs but still having fats and proteins to keep you feeling full. So it may be drastic if you currently have loads of carbs but otherwise you don't need to starve! Note that some NHS dieticians haven't a clue so be careful if they suggest basing your meals around carbs; don't. When you see the doc or nurse do ask what your HBA1C blood sugar reading is when they do a blood test. It's when they take bloods from your arm and isn't the finger-prick test. Do get hold of a glucose meter if you can so you check how you are doing.

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

The first two things you must do are:

1. Contact your surgery and ask for a print out of the blood test results. The receptionist should be able to do this for you. These will include the results of all the tests you had, including cholesterol, kidney & liver functions. All these are important for us to know. (If you are in England you can also ask if test results are available on line. All English surgeries should have put them on line. You can ask how to register for this service.
  2. Buy yourself a blood glucose meter and test strips. This is an essential tool to help you formulate a diet that is suitable for you. We can help you to use it to your best advantage.

Have a good read round and ask as many questions as you like. Meanwhikle I'm tagging @daisy1 for her brilliant intro post. Do read it.

Reactions: Prem51 and TrendyD

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is entirely up to you what you eat or don't eat. Being diagnosed as pre-diabetic is a wake up call.

You can choose to keep your current lifestyle and diet and progress to full blown diabetes with all the possible complications.

Or you can read the advice on this forum. Do a lot of reading yourself. If I had been told I was pre-diabetic in 2008 I would not have been diagnosed as T2 in 2017.

Please keep an open mind. I went keto right off the bat. I will keep eating low carb/keto because I can see the benefits and I enjoy it.

We all have to find our own way with this disease.

The advice you may get from your healthcare team may well point you to the eatwell plate. Very bad for diabetics.

Read around the forum and ask questions. We can support you. Most of us have been where you are now. No question is silly.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome to the forum, I second finding out your test results and getting a meter as they are not generally prescribed for those diagnosed with prediabetes.

What sort of drastic diet does your husband suggest?

Reactions: Prem51

carolou

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all of your replies....I do know that I have to make changes cutting back on cheese and potatoes is the main thing and doing more exercise. I have lived with Epilepsy all my life and therefore I know how important it is to follow advice. It is just a shock because when it comes to eating I do not snack and the majority of foods that I have read that are bad I do not eat (and no I am not being blinkered). I will keep reading I have already decided to go low-carb

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all of your replies....I do know that I have to make changes cutting back on cheese and potatoes is the main thing and doing more exercise. I have lived with Epilepsy all my life and therefore I know how important it is to follow advice. It is just a shock because when it comes to eating I do not snack and the majority of foods that I have read that are bad I do not eat (and no I am not being blinkered). I will keep reading I have already decided to go low-carb
NO, NO, NO!!!!!!
Don't give up the cheese!

Certainly give up the potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, fruit (Omg don't eat grapes or bananas).

We can point you to some sites for food ideas when you're ready.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Absolutely no need to give up cheese. Eat as much of it as you like. Not snacking is excellent. It is best not to snack as this gives the pancreas chance to rest between meals. What you need to cut back on are carbs, and the fewer carbs you eat the more fat and protein you need to eat to replace the lost energy source. Who told you to avoid cheese????

Reactions: Prem51 and jjraak

KMcRae

Welcome, I would like to say that my Hb1c has been low to mid 40s and last test was 56.. This was found as a trace of protein in my urine so have been started on ramipri and due to a little over weight and a fatty liver I was asked to try metabet sr and lose a little weight, which if in 6 months my Hb1c is down to 42 I can stop the medication. I started a low carb diet on Monday with no picking and my bg is between 4.2 and 5.9 not 9 to 14 in just 4 days, there is lots of advice and so many knowledgeable on here to help you

KMcRae

I was lucky in one way I guess as I have the nurse at my doctors so was seen within a week at the start of January, in July and August I had eye and feet check which I was surprised as I thought it was only offered if you had T2 or T1, the nurse said better to proactive

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Welcome to the forum @carolou. I did go on a drastic eating regime after being diagnosed, just eating one small meal in the evening. It did reduce my blood glucose levels to pre-diabetic, then to non-diabetic. But I have become a bit complacent and my bg has gone up again, but still in pre-diabetic range at the moment.
As the others have said cheese is good. Dairy products, oily fish, nuts, avocados, and olive oil are 'healthy fats' which help us feel full, and replace the energy we would have got from starchy carbohydrates. Starchy carbs turn to glucose quickly in our bodies so aren't good for T2 diabetics.
Protein (meat and fish) and most vegetables grown above ground are good too.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@carolou
Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it interesting and helpful.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
Well no symptoms yes a little bit overweight but not massively so this came as a surprise. Not sure what to do/eat as I have not been given any advice yet but reading up as much as possible. Hubby is suggesting a drastic diet but that's not for me!!! So I will keep looking....I am being referred which is good
Hi Carolou, and welcome!

As others suggested: HUG THAT CHEESE! :) Seriously, it's perfectly fine to eat daily, as are other things you might not expect. As for your weight: T2's aren't always big. 10% never were overweight, but consistently slim to begin with. Once you become prediabetic, you in essence are becoming insulin resistant. Meaning you make loads of the stuff, but it doesn't do what it was designed for anymore. So rather than helping you turn glucose -which is what carbs become once ingested- into energy, the glucose gets stored in fatcells. So actually, weight gain is a symptom of encroaching diabetes, rather than the other way around: being a bit bigger doesn't cause it. So technically speaking it may wel be you're not as a-symptomatic as you think you are.

So people mention diet to you but hey, you're a prediabetic, so the usual "less fats, less everything" thing doesn't apply to you! The LCHF (Low carb, high fat) diet is a pleasure to be on, if you ask me... I lost 25 kilo's I really needed to lose, my cholesterol's down (could stop the statins), and my HbA1c (bloodsugarlevel average of about 3 months) is in the non-diabetic range. And I have bacon once or twice a day. It's good eating! Scrambled eggs with bacon, cheese (!!!), whatever herbs I like, sometimes tomatoes or mushrooms, maybe high meat content sausages... Salads with tuna, capers, avocado, mayonaise, or goat's cheese with vinaigrette... Meat, fish or poultry with cauliflower rice or broccoli rice with cheese and yet more bacon... I'm not missing the potatoes, bread, rice, corn, cereal, fruit (okay, berries, tomatoes, avocado and starfruit are fine, the rest is too sugary). There's enough out there to satisfy. And there's always nuts, pork scratchings, cheese, olives and extra dark chocolate (85% or more) to snack on. Check dietdoctor.com for loads of info. Or search around on diabetes.co.uk, or ask us. ;)

You'll be fine. ;)
Jo

Reactions: TrendyD

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have lived with Epilepsy all my life
Hi Carolou,
you say you are going to move towards a low carb lifestyle, while you are doing that can I suggest looking into the Ketogenic Diet. It was initially conceived as an eating plan for epileptics to reduce/control seizures and has proven to be resoundingly successful in controlling/reversing diabetes. ;)
:bag:

Swss

I am in same boat. Haven’t been diagnosed by a Surgeon as pre diabetic officially but I know I am.
Bmi, sleeping after meals,, my age, my diet, and now finally tested by bloods. I was already on the Keto diet about two weeks before I tested the bloods.
I think modern marketing and diet advice will push most of population here

carolou

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Carolou,
you say you are going to move towards a low carb lifestyle, while you are doing that can I suggest looking into the Ketogenic Diet. It was initially conceived as an eating plan for epileptics to reduce/control seizures and has proven to be resoundingly successful in controlling/reversing diabetes. ;)
:bag:

Hi There is no Spoon
The diet that I am looking at is the Ketogenic one I can reduce/avoid the ones that are on the bad list. I am eating more vegetables which is something that I enjoy but I realise that I cannot just completely change overnight. This appears to be a good low carb one. My one problem is that I only eat breakfast when I am on holiday and as I do not drink milk I am unable to think of anything to have. My husband may be being rash but he bought a blood monitor test kit and I did it this morning and it was 5.3 but I had not eaten only my usual black coffee, no sugar etc because I do not have a sweet tooth.
I do not eat that much meat I like fish. I know that it is going to be hard with potatoes and pasta but I will have to

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My one problem is that I only eat breakfast when I am on holiday and as I do not drink milk I am unable to think of anything to have. My husband may be being rash but he bought a blood monitor test kit and I did it this morning and it was 5.3 but I had not eaten only my usual black coffee, no sugar etc because I do not have a sweet tooth.

5.3 is an excellent start for a morning test before food. Many on here will be very envious. Well done to your husband for buying you the meter. It will become your best friend if you use it wisely as it will show you instantly what your meals have done to your levels and allow you the opportunity to tweak things and look for patterns (along side a food diary). If you test before you eat and again 2 hours after first bite, any increase from before to after should be under 2mmol/l and preferably a lot less (irrespective of what the levels actually are).

As for breakfasts, they are not at all necessary. You could have a coffee with double cream and nothing else, you could have an egg or 3, you could add bacon, mushrooms, a tomato and maybe a high meat content sausage to your eggs. You could have a full fat Greek yogurt with a few berries thrown in. You could have cheese or cold meats. Or you could stay as you are and have nothing at all. Skipping breakfast extends the overnight fast, and if you don't eat between evening meal and the following lunch time this is one method of intermittent fasting (IF) that many members here follow. This is also called eating within a narrow window. It gives your pancreas a nice long rest when hardly any insulin will be produced, which is a very good thing.