Increased BM

oorbrian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Accu Check Mobile monitor bought. BM down to 13.6|16.1 after my dinner. It’s funny how you can record your glucose twice in two minutes and get different results. Took my test a few times to get used to a new machine

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Accu Check Mobile monitor bought. BM down to 13.6|16.1 after my dinner. It’s funny how you can record your glucose twice in two minutes and get different results. Took my test a few times to get used to a new machine

This is an excellent meter - but the replacement cartridges are very expensive. As I said in an earlier post, I get mine from eBay but do be careful to check the expiry date and the reviews. :)

oorbrian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I saw that on eBay and intend getting a supply. I intend monitoring morning and evening. Do you think that’s enough? Reading down to 13.2 at bed at no further thirst or trips to toilet

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you need to monitor your diet then you need to check just before starting a meal and then two hours later. If you are two whole number or less higher then your meal is 'safe' - but until you lower your levels you need to be eating fewer carbs overall.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@oorbrian you have excellent advice and have made a good start. I just want to salute you and thank you from the bottom of my heart for being in your line of work. It’s not easy; I know you have a heart as big as Texas

KMcRae

Hi I use a GLUCORX tester around £12-15 and test strips £15 if you have to buy, this is what my nurse gave me as this is what most of the NHS prescribed now due to costs, I work in pharmaceuticals so I would advise to buy online if you have pay, strips can cost double in price at some pharmacy's

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@oorbrian
Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it both interesting and helpful.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

oorbrian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Got my reading down to 15 but terrified to eat anything! Some nurse me ( well it is mental health that I have done for 43 years)I had blood taken for HBa1c test today. Had Granola and Greek Yogurt for lunch and weetabix for breakfast. Having a baked potato with cheese for tea. Is that going along the right lines?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had Granola and Greek Yogurt for lunch and weetabix for breakfast. Having a baked potato with cheese for tea. Is that going along the right lines?

Unfortunately many T2's can't have most breakfast cereals or potatoes (of any kind) if they want to keep their blood sugars at a good level, but you need to test and see what works for you, you need to test to see how much your blood sugar is affected by such foods as everyone is different.

oorbrian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Will do. Thanks. I have been diagnosed for 2 years and when I took my reading at work during that time I was always under 10. I have a heavy cold at present and I have been off work for over 3 months suffering from Anxiety and Trauma which has greatly affected my sleep. Will that have an effect?

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got my reading down to 15 but terrified to eat anything! Some nurse me ( well it is mental health that I have done for 43 years)I had blood taken for HBa1c test today. Had Granola and Greek Yogurt for lunch and weetabix for breakfast. Having a baked potato with cheese for tea. Is that going along the right lines?
Not really... Anything with wheat/flour and starches will probably spike you. The Greek yoghurt's good though. But granola and weetabix, potato... Your meter'll tell you the same, but they're not good choices.

Better to whip up some eggs with bacon and cheese, that won't give you a rise. Or veggies with meat/fush/poultry...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Granola, Weetabix and baked potato really aren't low carb. Is there any reason you are avoiding say meat and green veg or eggs and bacon. All of which wold help your blood sugar to reduce and fill you up more than what you're currently having.

Reactions: oorbrian
M

Member496333

No. It is just what I thought would help. I love chicken bacon eggs and cheese and veg so I will go down that line

Well then you may as well consider yourself cured. Stick to these kinds of foods and your glucose will plummet. It will of course still take time to recover some level of insulin sensitivity, but this way of eating will nevertheless be a massive help in managing your condition in the immediate term. I’d be very surprised if you weren’t down in single digits within seven days. Good luck and keep us all updated!

Reactions: zauberflote

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

As everyone else has said. None of these meals will help your blood sugar levels. They will only raise them. I think I (and others) have directed you to the dietdoctor site before now. Have you been to have a look? Here is a list of foods to eat, and another list to avoid. You will see that cereals (of any sort including granola and weetabix, ) plus potatoes, are in the to avoid list

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodlist

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodtoavoid

Have the Greek yogurt for breakfast with maybe 2 or 3 strawberries or half a dozen raspberries thrown in, or better still eggs cooked any which way, bacon, mushrooms, a tomato, or cheese, or cold meats. Or try skipping it completely and just have a coffee with cream. For lunch maybe some oily fish (tinned varieties are quick and easy) with a few cherry toms and a salad, or again cold meats or cheese. For evening meal any meat or fish with vegetables that grow above ground, avoiding beans and peas unless your meter says these are OK.

Have you started testing before and after each meal yet, and keeping a food diary? You will soon see which foods are along the right lines, and which ones are not.

oorbrian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just started my food diary and checking my readings before and 2 hours after meals. Readings not coming down much yet but it will take time. Tomorrow’s breakfast is cheese scrambled egg and grilled bacon with a slice of whole meal bread. Think this cold is affecting my scores

oorbrian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As everyone else has said. None of these meals will help your blood sugar levels. They will only raise them. I think I (and others) have directed you to the dietdoctor site before now. Have you been to have a look? Here is a list of foods to eat, and another list to avoid. You will see that cereals (of any sort including granola and weetabix, ) plus potatoes, are in the to avoid list

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodlist

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodtoavoid

Have the Greek yogurt for breakfast with maybe 2 or 3 strawberries or half a dozen raspberries thrown in, or better still eggs cooked any which way, bacon, mushrooms, a tomato, or cheese, or cold meats. Or try skipping it completely and just have a coffee with cream. For lunch maybe some oily fish (tinned varieties are quick and easy) with a few cherry toms and a salad, or again cold meats or cheese. For evening meal any meat or fish with vegetables that grow above ground, avoiding beans and peas unless your meter says these are OK.

Have you started testing before and after each meal yet, and keeping a food diary? You will soon see which foods are along the right lines, and which ones are not.

That site was very helpful thanks. Think I am just panicking now and getting a bit scared. I am currently off sick with Trauma which is not helping either

Hotpepper20000

Just started my food diary and checking my readings before and 2 hours after meals. Readings not coming down much yet but it will take time. Tomorrow’s breakfast is cheese scrambled egg and grilled bacon with a slice of whole meal bread. Think this cold is affecting my scores
I’m my experience my BG is much lower with out bread

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Please don't look at the readings before and after food - look at the amount by which you rise from before to after. This is the important thing until your full menu has been sorted (and that takes a few months minimum) Any rise should be less than 2mmol/l and preferable a lot less. The lower the better. More than 2mmol/l and there were too many carbs in that meal.

Your cold may affect your baseline scores, but it won't affect the amount by which you rise after eating. Only the food will do that.