Decided to ditch the metformin

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Back on the same dose? Maybe try a steady reduction?

Same dose. I was okay last night and okay today so far. So it did an experiment and it might be because I am used to taking quite large pills for other things and I swallow 3 large pills, another pill for something else and another one for something else all together with a gulp of water. So like wise I swallow both metformin pills together very quickly.

So last night and this morning I took them separately and gave it a minute before taking the second one and it seems to have been okay so far. :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Metformin and Imodium
Go together
Like love and marriage

to parody an old song.

Loosely

M

Member496333

Same dose. I was okay last night and okay today so far. So it did an experiment and it might be because I am used to taking quite large pills for other things and I swallow 3 large pills, another pill for something else and another one for something else all together with a gulp of water. So like wise I swallow both metformin pills together very quickly.

So last night and this morning I took them separately and gave it a minute before taking the second one and it seems to have been okay so far. :)

Sorry if I missed it but I asume you found your glucose levels going out of range?

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Sorry if I missed it but I asume you found your glucose levels going out of range?
No idea. I ran out of strips a while back. I'm still not in the habit of organising myself. A life habit I'm afraid. :banghead: I have some now.

M

Member496333

Well anyway, best of luck. Once you’re settled again perhaps try reducing the dose slowly. Worked for me and gave me ample time to look for trends or make any adjustments to my diet and exercise strategy. Weight training got me off my last 500mg.

Keep us updated with how you go. I didn’t really think I had any Metformin side effects, but feel amazing now. Getting off that last tablet was the final piece of the puzzle.

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
Well anyway, best of luck. Once you’re settled again perhaps try reducing the dose slowly. Worked for me and gave me ample time to look for trends or make any adjustments to my diet and exercise strategy. Weight training got me off my last 500mg.

Keep us updated with how you go. I didn’t really think I had any Metformin side effects, but feel amazing now. Getting off that last tablet was the final piece of the puzzle.
Thanks will do!

india1215

Hi, I am a T1 who takes 1000mg of Metformin a day. Before I only took 500mg/ day. I am wondering what side effects you are experiencing from Metformin? Does anyone feel "full" all the time because of it?

Best regards, India

D

Deleted member 308541

Hi, I am a T1 who takes 1000mg of Metformin a day. Before I only took 500mg/ day. I am wondering what side effects you are experiencing from Metformin? Does anyone feel "full" all the time because of it?

Best regards, India
I take 2 x 500 mg of Metformin XR a day, I have never felt full or had any ill effects such as the scours.

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
I officially give up with them. I've been patient and tried to deal with it but enough is enough. Will speak to the doc asap about changing meds.

They suppress your appetite I think so maybe that's why you feel full?

I just don't feel well on them.

On a plus note I reached hba1c of 50 from 121 in 3 months and now and on target to be in the low 30s by next test (Feb.) yay!

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
Hi all.

Decided to stop the metformin as I can no longer tolerate the side effects.

I'm a little apprehensive as I stopped taking them property a couple of weeks ago and my BGs were up slightly but I had a nasty cold and I think a slight sinus infection which had gone now.

Am I right in thinking the raised levels were the cold rather than the lack of metformin?

And another thing... I walk. Maybe 3 miles. Sometimes up hill sometimes walk less but my readings are always higher. Don't get it.
I sympathise as the original Metformin gave me very troublesome side effects which would crop up at work, which is not ideal.

I’m now on the slow release version and the side effects crop up once in a blue moon. Much easier on the stomach.

Reactions: Shas3

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only side effect that I had from the standard metformin was really bad indigestion and bloating. I went onto the SR ones indigestion and bloating stopped but the more I increased the dose as per doctors instructions the less of an appetite I had until I was hardly eating anything and loosing weight I did not need to. Doc told me to reduce them until I was eating normally again had to get down to one 500mg a day before that happened. I don't take any now my BG is good so the nurse said to stop them

Reactions: Shas3

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
I sympathise as the original Metformin gave me very troublesome side effects which would crop up at work, which is not ideal.

I’m now on the slow release version and the side effects crop up once in a blue moon. Much easier on the stomach.

Its awful isn't it. I am glad you're on the slow release ones. I'm going to request the same when I actually get around to it.

Reactions: Shas3 and Patrick66

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
The only side effect that I had from the standard metformin was really bad indigestion and bloating. I went onto the SR ones indigestion and bloating stopped but the more I increased the dose as per doctors instructions the less of an appetite I had until I was hardly eating anything and loosing weight I did not need to. Doc told me to reduce them until I was eating normally again had to get down to one 500mg a day before that happened. I don't take any now my BG is good so the nurse said to stop them

Oh they're are such a nightmare drug for many! My appetite is virtually nil. I just can't be bothered to eat much.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm on the ordinary one but it's not just stomach issues it's making me forgetful, foggy, sick, and utterly miserable. So I feel I've made the right decision for me. I can always go back on it. I will see how if effects me for a week and go from there.

So hopefully in the long term the exercise should help?
Are you on a statin too? They made me foggy.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Oh they're are such a nightmare drug for many! My appetite is virtually nil. I just can't be bothered to eat much.
I’m on the max dose (depending upon who you talk to) and my appetite is now very variable. I’m either famished or can’t be bothered. I’ve missed several meals lately or just had an evening one because it feels like my stomach has shrunk and I also note I feel full sooner.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m on the max dose (depending upon who you talk to) and my appetite is now very variable. I’m either famished or can’t be bothered. I’ve missed several meals lately or just had an evening one because it feels like my stomach has shrunk and I also note I feel full sooner.
That will hopefully because of reducing the carbohydrate content of what you are eating. The spikes and rapid drops in blood sugar caused by carb heavy meals should be reducing and the satiety from the higher fat content will keep you fuller for longer. This is how I can be full on one meal a day with only coffees and teas during the day.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Causes of erectile dysfunction in diabetic men
What is ? Metformin ?

Most of the seven medications I take have that as a side effect. And yeah it’s true. Can’t say that makes me very happy, nor my better half. It certainly reduces your sex drive.

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on the ordinary one but it's not just stomach issues it's making me forgetful, foggy, sick, and utterly miserable. So I feel I've made the right decision for me. I can always go back on it. I will see how if effects me for a week and go from there.

So hopefully in the long term the exercise should help?

I am feeling similar effects and i am only on Metformin. I think i am reducing my dosage and see how it works. Exercise DEFINITELY!!!!