What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Today was weird. Both bro and I had tummy grumbles and felt like we were catching the flu in slow motion last night. The only thing we had in common was the meal we ate. He got better; I was dealing with a one-time quadruple dose of an antibx for dental work and got so sick of full-fat yogurt I had to switch to the fat free. A clean crisp relief!
All day: yogurt
Bfast yogurt, 1/2 avocado, egg, yogurt a bit later
Lunch yogurt, celery, some cherry tomatoes, almond butter on a La Tort. Factory tortilla. Still wanted fiber, so a piece of my bread in soy milk.
Afternoon decaf/soy/cream with the last piece of bread in it. You know you have a winner when your bread soaks up liquid, floats in your coffee, and doesn’t lose its shape over 30 minutes!
Too many nuts
Supper mahi mahi in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce&pepper, baked. Green beans in same marinade with garlic, roasted. More green beans. A few more green beans.
Somewhere in there I added butter to something, too.
Later mire yogurt as usual.
Sleep well; I want to!

roslynfarm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast spelt toast boiled egg rasher bacon 5.6 before 5.6 after
Lunch quick deli grab between dental appointments chicken soup
Dinner pub quiz night I have root canal this arvo so think usual steak off menu so thinking chorizo black pudding tapas halloumi salad and something else ( it's mainly a tapas menu so dishes small) - depending on who else going there may or may not be a few chips from communal bowl

roslynfarm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having difficulty. Have reverted to having two slices of bread a day, and fitting in with weekly morning coffee group where I had chips with coffee yesterday.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jjraak that made me laugh. It might be an Ulster is right up there with my MILs ones. The naked mum reminded me of a friend of ours who, in his younger days, arrived home very drunk, undressed and climbed into bed beside his Mum and Dad stark naked. His Mum woke his Dad and announced their son was in bed with them and he's naked! At which point his Dad got out of bed and went off to son's bedroom to sleep!

Reactions: zauberflote

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haha!
Love the 'Ulster'

Actually, a friend and I have a similar code name.
In our case, we were camping in Tywyn (North Wales) and I had brought a large home made curry (LOTS of veg and spices) to reheat for our first evening. All was well until the next day, when we because VERY familiar with the trek from tent to toilet facilities, and back. And then again. And again.

Lesson learned, and forever branded in our memories as 'A Tywyn'.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tywyn

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Having difficulty. Have reverted to having two slices of bread a day, and fitting in with weekly morning coffee group where I had chips with coffee yesterday.

I an just re-starting keto/low carb after a year of 'denial' so i know how you feel. *hug* I knew what I was doing but basically just couldn't seem to help myself. The thing that helped me to get back on track the most was dusting off my meter to see how the things I was eating were affecting me.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Haha!
Love the 'Ulster'

Actually, a friend and I have a similar code name.
In our case, we were camping in Tywyn (North Wales) and I had brought a large home made curry (LOTS of veg and spices) to reheat for our first evening. All was well until the next day, when we because VERY familiar with the trek from tent to toilet facilities, and back. And then again. And again.

Lesson learned, and forever branded in our memories as 'A Tywyn'.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tywyn

Our code name here is 'line dancing'. Stems from a friend persuading us that line dancing is good exercise. So off we went to this village hall type place in the middle of nowhere having carbed up with a large portion of five bean chilli and re-heated basmati rice (in my pre-D days). It turns out I've got two left feet and could NOT get them to do what every one else's feet were doing. So i got the giggles and more giggles then my tummy started rumbling and gurgling so I made a dash for the loo only to find it was locked up with an 'out of order' sign in the door..... :banghead: Not my finest hour! :confused::eek::oops:

Edited for spelling

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Today...

Breakfast: DD's keto hot chocolate. Yuck. Won't be having that again - and it didn't stop my DP (although it did slow it down a bit). :hungover::depressed::sour:

Lunch: A few brazil nuts

Dinner: Leftovers day: garlic and herb cream cheese mixed with leftover creams (sour cream and double cream) to make a sauce with prawns over konjac spaghetti and broccoli

Snack: One square of G&B chocolate

Drinks: AM: black decaff coffee, PM: still water and rhubarb and custard tea, Evening: glass of red wine (or two)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As we are sharing funny and/or embarrassing stories, here's mine.

When I was doing my Bachelor's degree, I decided to go camping with my then boyfriend. Drove from El Paso to California (quite a long drive) and arrived there after midnight. Of course, it was dark and no one there to help us find a place. So, we took out the flashlight and found a nice flat location and pitched the tent. I then remember having strange dreams all night, all of them involving trains:meh:. Once we woke up and it was light, we realized that we had slept only a few meters away from the train tracks. Needless to say, we relocated the tent soon after this.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone. Popped in early to post yesterday’s food before I forget.
For those that don’t see the fbg thread I had a great day yesterday as scan showed all clear so I have another 6 months at least to enjoy myself! ( for those that do see that thread, sorry to babg on about it, I am almost at the stage of telling strangers in the street too)

Yesterday I had an early breakfast of a fried egg and bacon with coffee

Scan was late morning then had a 3 hr wait until the clinic appt to hear results so we went for lunch at a Lebanese/ Turkish style place and had a mezze of slow cooked lamb, baba ganoush, halloumi with harrissa and spiced cauliflower. Drank fresh mint tea.

Back home after the clinic we thought a meal out to celebrate was in order so went to a steak place. I had mushrooms baked in garlicky cheese sauce then steak with salad in place of chips. The speciality at this place is a wedge of onion loaf ( like a deep onion fritter) served with the steak- it is delicious and I knew it wouldn’t be good for bg but it was my celebratory throwing of caution to the wind. Had a high 7.5 afterwards but I reckon it was worth it once in a while.

@BibaBee I hope all goes well for your husband today, it doesn’t sound like a very nice procedure so I completely understand the anxiety. Fingers crossed for good results.

I’m really enjoying all the Ulster and Tywyn type codes.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For those that don’t see the fbg thread I had a great day yesterday as scan showed all clear so I have another 6 months at least to enjoy myself! ( for those that do see that thread, sorry to babg on about it, I am almost at the stage of telling strangers in the street too)

Scan was late morning then had a 3 hr wait until the clinic appt to hear results so we went for lunch at a Lebanese/ Turkish style place and had a mezze of slow cooked lamb, baba ganoush, halloumi with harrissa and spiced cauliflower. Drank fresh mint tea.

Back home after the clinic we thought a meal out to celebrate was in order so went to a steak place. I had mushrooms baked in garlicky cheese sauce then steak with salad in place of chips. The speciality at this place is a wedge of onion loaf ( like a deep onion fritter) served with the steak- it is delicious and I knew it wouldn’t be good for bg but it was my celebratory throwing of caution to the wind. Had a high 7.5 afterwards but I reckon it was worth it once in a while.

@BibaBee I hope all goes well for your husband today, it doesn’t sound like a very nice procedure so I completely understand the anxiety. Fingers crossed for good results.

Fantastic news and why wouldn't you want to share it with the world? Really tasty sounding menu yesterday so an excellent day for you and thoroughly deserved.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

can't say i blame you, @DJC3 ..excellent news.:D

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

@DJC3,

I am so very happy for you. I feel like taking you by the hands and dancing on the street with you.

Dinner and especially lunch sound delicious. Hope you enjoyed the celebrations.

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Y’all are sooo funny!!!
@DJC3 CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! I am right out there in the conga line that’s forming for you!
My story involves my baby son, who was going through the first of those times when one diaper just isn’t enough. I was giving him his lunch bottle, and all of a sudden, my lap turned warm and green... I dropped the bottle, held tiny him out at arms’ length, and waddled (as though it were my problem, right? ) down the hall to his room, him continuing to lose it from the diaper all the way. ICK. From then on I had a flannel/rubber sheet on my lap at feedings. No code name for that one!

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Great news for you. Those days are exhausting.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Posting early as out and about today.

Had a go at making granola with bits and bobs left over in larder. Works out at 10g carbs per 45g portion, which is not good for keto but OK for my regime. A lot less than most cereals out there.

Breakfast: Hi lo toast and butter
Lunch: Left over pancetta, tomatoes, cucumber, cheese stuffed peppers, two oat cakes, Strawberries with mocha chai pudding and cream.
Dinner: Nando's quarter chicken breast with either sweet potato wedges (bad) or roast vegetables (better)!
Snacks: Mosser roth 85% chocolate and nuts

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jjraak that made me laugh. It might be an Ulster is right up there with my MILs ones. The naked mum reminded me of a friend of ours who, in his younger days, arrived home very drunk, undressed and climbed into bed beside his Mum and Dad stark naked. His Mum woke his Dad and announced their son was in bed with them and he's naked! At which point his Dad got out of bed and went off to son's bedroom to sleep!

@maglil55 also reminds me of a story. My parents decided to move house during my A levels, so was staying with friends. The girlfriend of the slightly older than me male child of the house had the same name as me. Got up to pee in the night only to be met by said guy, stark naked shouting ‘Goonergal’!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 what excellent news. So pleased for you.

Well it was back to Five Guys today, this time for lunch - my standard bunless bacon cheeseburger with a bit of mayo. Spoon of extra thick double cream a bit later on. Dinner was M&S manchego cheese and Serrano ham rollitos followed by a few more spoons of extra thick double cream (hotel fridge coming in very handy).