Need Snack Ideas

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
Thank you all for your advice and input. I will be shopping around lol.

Richie 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People
I work in a business park which is pretty far removed from civilisation.

My job is.....challenging, mentally and we seem to have either periods of manic activity or great big lulls..

Manic or busy is fine as it distracts me from any huger pangs I feel but in the quiet times I nee something to snack on. I cant eat nuts or seeds but have the occasional pork scratching to hand.

What else can I keep in my work drawer ?.

Thanks
Just have a drink of water.

Blip22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Double speak

My job is.....challenging, mentally and we seem to have either periods of manic activity or great big lulls..

Manic or busy is fine as it distracts me from any huger pangs I feel but in the quiet times I nee something to snack on. I cant eat nuts or seeds but have the occasional pork scratching to hand.

Thanks

Thanks
Hello, billatong (the spiced dry meat, though check the flavourings) tinned fish,tinned ham, salami sausage, palma ham, jars of artichoke, tomatoes, mushroom, peppers, Cheese, pickled veg and eggs, olives, chillies, pesto (antipasti) rivita biscuits, oatcakes, then fresh: scotch eggs, humus, salads, meats, smoked mackerel. X

Reactions: Patrick66

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, billatong (the spiced dry meat, though check the flavourings) tinned fish,tinned ham, salami sausage, palma ham, jars of artichoke, tomatoes, mushroom, peppers, Cheese, pickled veg and eggs, olives, chillies, pesto (antipasti) rivita biscuits, oatcakes, then fresh: scotch eggs, humus, salads, meats, smoked mackerel. X
Scotch eggs are ok if you made them yourself. Anything in breadcrumbs is no go for me. You also need to know what's in the sausage meat.

If it comes in a packet or a tin read you must read the ingredients. Nothing that ends in ose, dextrose, maltose etc. Ose = sugar.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Scotch eggs are ok if you made them yourself. Anything in breadcrumbs is no go for me. You also need to know what's in the sausage meat.

If it comes in a packet or a tin read you must read the ingredients. Nothing that ends in ose, dextrose, maltose etc. Ose = sugar.
I’ve got better at reading ingredients as there are so many hidden nasties in things.

Reactions: xfieldok

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Kays Naturals makes bagged snacks, about 15 plus different kinds that are 10-15 carbs and 10-15 grams protein. Purposely designed for diabetics. Some are vegan so non dairy. From cereals, pretzels, crackers, and bites. Plus I like soy milk or almond milk 8 oz drinks, the soy one I drink is 8 grams protein and 12 carbs or mmm the chocolate soymilk/almond milk is 22 carbs and 8 grams of protein. Shelf stable and I like to drink them not refrigerated too. Those are a great easy quick snack. I've also made my own chocolate snacks, using a bar or chips with high dark chocolate content so lower carbs and grind lots of nuts and melt, mix and let harden.

NikiMilligan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the simplest terms for diabetes management - the optimal goal is to satiate fully at each meal. Eating anything causes an insulin response, so you may as well only have a couple of “episodes” per day rather than constantly drip-feeding insulin into the bloodstream by way of snacking. A type 2 should always be aiming to minimise insulin secretion, and grazing is suboptimal in this regard.

That said, we’re all human and it would be pretty depressing if you couldn’t enjoy a nice nibble now and then. Hard boiled eggs are ideal. Keep them in a grenade belt :D

Oddly, I’ve always thought the opposite was true... I think of it as the same as my messed up Achilles’ tendon - little and offer is better (in insulin terms eliciting very low response at any one time) rather than a couple of biggies.

Then again, this corresponds (somewhat ironically) to my GPS idea of NOT having fats with carbs so that you get a bigger spike which is over quickly rather than a prolonged response required.

I have to admit, going on 3 years of T2D and I seem to understand less each year! I do truly resent the medical establishment for feeding us nutritional garbage information for most of my life, and even now they are feeding us the same tripe at diabetic clinics (yeah, toast for breakfast’s a great idea). So hard to know what to do.

Truly depressed by this disease :(

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Oddly, I’ve always thought the opposite was true... I think of it as the same as my messed up Achilles’ tendon - little and offer is better (in insulin terms eliciting very low response at any one time) rather than a couple of biggies.

Then again, this corresponds (somewhat ironically) to my GPS idea of NOT having fats with carbs so that you get a bigger spike which is over quickly rather than a prolonged response required.

I have to admit, going on 3 years of T2D and I seem to understand less each year! I do truly resent the medical establishment for feeding us nutritional garbage information for most of my life, and even now they are feeding us the same tripe at diabetic clinics (yeah, toast for breakfast’s a great idea). So hard to know what to do.

Truly depressed by this disease :(
Yes it’s all very confusing and sometimes contradictory. I just hope what I eat is okay.