Evil Cheese?????

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Pretty strange really that we eat so much cheese now that it is a real addiction when we are the only species that consume dairy products after we are weaned I wonder why we do

Because it's delicious and so versatile too. I love a left over cold meat spread on Boxing day, with different cheeses and lots of pickles too :hungry:
A History of the ploughman's lunch :-

It’s as if the term ‘Ploughman’s Lunch’ has been on the archetypal village pub’s menu for several millenia but you might be astonished to find out its use started far more recently; we were! According to agreement from various sources including the BBC, the phrase ‘Ploughman’s Lunch’ was first promoted by the Milk Marketing Board in the 1960s as part of a campaign to promote the sales of cheese, especially in pubs. However the concept of the combination of ingredients is much older.

If we journey back slightly further to an edition of a magazine published by the Brewers’ Society called ‘A Monthly Bulletin’ (dated July 1956), we get this superb quote describing the activities of a group called the Cheese Bureau, which it says “exists for the admirable purpose of popularising cheese and, as a corollary, the public house lunch of bread, beer, cheese and pickle. This traditional combination was broken by rationing; the Cheese Bureau hopes, by demonstrating the natural affinity of the two parties, to effect a remarriage”. The use of the phrase ‘traditional combination’ suggests this type of well balanced, locally produced food has indeed long been a part of rural folk’s diets.

Whenever this perfect meal first originated, there is one thing we feel is vital to the perfect Ploughmans Lunch: generosity; each piece of cheese, or bread or accompaniment used must be large and chunky. Perhaps this explains why rationing and the war got in the way of our enjoyment of this unique English dish and we needed the MMB in the ’60s to remind us how good it always was.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad that we did not have the US version of the milk marketing board who had a similar mission to promote cheese but did so by adding cheese to processed foods e.g. stuffed crust pizza, cheese burgers, cheesy dips.

Reactions: zauberflote

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Glad that we did not have the US version of the milk marketing board who had a similar mission to promote cheese but did so by adding cheese to processed foods e.g. stuffed crust pizza, cheese burgers, cheesy dips.

Nicole, isn’t there something called the Dairy Council here? I have some memories of milk being promoted as “the perfect food”. Ads and billboards with rosy children and tall creamy cold glasses of milk? A tv commercial with the milk cascading in slow motion? There’s also something about way back when they added Vit D to milk to help prevent rickets, which was a problem for kids many many decades ago.
I have a soapbox rant about how all our current US health woes come from the environment: the hideous way agribusiness has changed the production of foodstuffs. It’s the new year; I’m not climbing up on that soapbox today
Cats! I had one who loved cantaloupe and cucumber, 2 who loved olive oil, 2 who loved plain black beans, with or without the olive oil, and one who loves cicadas, skinks (a tiny lizard), and of course squirrel. Ick.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nicole, isn’t there something called the Dairy Council here? I have some memories of milk being promoted as “the perfect food”. Ads and billboards with rosy children and tall creamy cold glasses of milk? A tv commercial with the milk cascading in slow motion? There’s also something about way back when they added Vit D to milk to help prevent rickets, which was a problem for kids many many decades ago.
I have a soapbox rant about how all our current US health woes come from the environment: the hideous way agribusiness has changed the production of foodstuffs. It’s the new year; I’m not climbing up on that soapbox today
Cats! I had one who loved cantaloupe and cucumber, 2 who loved olive oil, 2 who loved plain black beans, with or without the olive oil, and one who loves cicadas, skinks (a tiny lizard), and of course squirrel. Ick.
Yes we do have the Dairy Council and I think that is what Robin was referring to re Ploughmans' lunches.
We are awash with free milk in primary schools in spite of Mrs Thatcher (aka Milk Snatcher) but when I was a Milk Lady distributing it at play times, I found many kids were not kid after age 6!
Do you remember Jamie Oliver going to the US and ranting at the insanity of getting kids to drink the milk there by adding hideous amounts of sugar and artifiical flavours?
Here's to Nina T (cannot spell her name) and her campaign to get the US Food Guidelines to be based on a totality of scientific evidence in 2020 and to do so openly.

Reactions: Robinredbreast
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I remember this advert :) Als,o when I was pregnant with my last baby, 2000, I couldn't drink my beloved tea because it gave me bad nausea, so I drunk only milk for the first 3 months.

D

Deleted member 308541

being able to store 'cow juice' at cooler temperatures without a fridge. Fortunately we can buy our milk in glass bottles although I wish I could get in unpasturised too!
Milk is now sold in plastic containers, similar to cordial bottles.

A friend of ours sell raw goat milk from his farm.

We have fridges in Australia.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@NicoleC1971 hey hey don’t you mess with my chocolate milk!!! Time honored treat, the only thing you’re allowed to slurp the straw in at home!
I don’t know who Jamie Oliver is....
@Tipetoo we had illegal raw milk from a local dairy farmer in the years around 1970. Go pick it up at milking time, take it home warm! It took some getting used to, but oh the richness, even if you poured off most of the cream first.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@NicoleC1971 hey hey don’t you mess with my chocolate milk!!! Time honored treat, the only thing you’re allowed to slurp the straw in at home!
I don’t know who Jamie Oliver is....
@Tipetoo we had illegal raw milk from a local dairy farmer in the years around 1970. Go pick it up at milking time, take it home warm! It took some getting used to, but oh the richness, even if you poured off most of the cream first.
Re Jamie Oliver here is a translation:
Celebrity chef who is a real food crusader.
I confess I had a thing for milkshake and my kids still do. The local cafe likes to whizz up a blob of ice cream along side a Mars/hershey bar..

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re Jamie Oliver here is a translation:
I confess I had a thing for milkshake and my kids still do. The local cafe likes to whizz up a blob of ice cream along side a Mars/hershey bar..
My family became disciples for Jamie Oliver when he was banging on about school meals. but then one Christmas we tried some of his recipes in his cook book, and they all had masses of sugar, molasses, cream etc and then we watched a J.O. tv prog on the same theme, and he was shovelling sugar into even the veg, so we lost interest in his cut sugar message since he himself does not follow his own advice. An empty vessel IMHO

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Never give Hedgehogs milk, it can give them diarrhoea, give them plain water in a shallow bowl instead.
Yes hedgehogs are lactose intolerant they love dog food though and it is what the RSPCA recommend to give them but not cat food something in that that does not agree with hedgehogs

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes hedgehogs are lactose intolerant they love dog food though and it is what the RSPCA recommend to give them but not cat food something in that that does not agree with hedgehogs
This is probably why I have no hedgehogs in my garden.,,,,,,,,

veggirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Halloumi cheese (which can be fried) wrapped in bacon and then fried or put in the oven is the answer to cheese and bacon. An alternative is to make your own quiche mixture using cooked bacon, cheese, full fat creme fraiche and eggs, bake in a silicone tray or silicone muffin mould without pastry. Virtually no carbs.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Re Jamie Oliver here is a translation:....
Whoah. Thanks for the education!
Oh my word. Reality tv at its, um... normality?
I expect that one’s going to turn out like all the house makeover stuff- cheap and falling apart. There’s a good chance that nobody in Huntington WbyGodVA can afford to eat whatever Mr Oliver proposes. There’s a good chance the city paid to have this done. There is also a good chance that the obese persons shown (wherever they really reside) will die young.
I lived in very rural WV for 3 years. Primary occupation of “natives” was farming. Non natives were all associated with the National Radio Astronomy Observatory (which had some association with UK Jodrell Bank). We all went to the tiny public school, and ate homecooked food at lunch. Beans, greens, spectacularly delicious dinner rolls, one each for girls, two each for boys if they wanted. There were very few overweight people. They all farmed. I expect things have changed some...
Another thing I keep in mind is that urban American kids Are Not Allowed to play outside unsupervised!!! Talk about over-parenting.... no going to your friend’s on your bike, etc etc. No wonder we have obesity! /rant

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
I think the heading is absolutely stupid !! Like other posters, I am going to eat mild Cheddar to negate
the hunger pangs all of us Diabetics suffer from.

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
With a few pieces of bacon. ;)
Apparently more 'young people' are doing Veganary than Dry January.
Conspiracy theories abound on the WFPB thing (vegetarians at Harvard and on the WHO advisory committee plus 7th Day Adventists).
It is going to be a long month.
Here's to a nice of cheddar with some red wine of a cold Winter's night.
with bacon and lots of butter !

ghost_whistler

The experts saying it is terrible for us are Dr (?) Michael Greger, and the Harvard Medical team, both of whom are staunch vegan apostles. There is a distinct niff of bias in this article.
Good old Dr Greger and his penchant for cherry picking whatever ssuits his argument