How is this for a menu ? (1st attempt lol)

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
So I am trying to take on board so many helpful suggestions and have just been shopping and planning what I can eat. This is my first attempt and it is just a day menu.

Is it good ? Bad ?. I’m aiming low carb-high fat..and I’ve tried to expand, slightly, my range of foods.

Breakfast

Full fat Greek yogurt with some unsweetened cocoa powder and a couple of chopped strawberries (because I s8mply can’t stomach yogurt on its own)

Cup of tea

Mid-Morning work snack

Two small roasted chicken wings

Lunch (I’m usually a late lunch person)

Salad. Lettuce, tomato, watercress, onion, full fat cheddar cheese, cold meat

Dinner

Steak, Carrot and Swede mash, gravy.

All supplemented by water and probably two cups of tea throughout.

How does that sound ?

Reactions: Guzzler

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Almost Perfect
Personally the carrot & swede mash would spike my sugars as would gravy, depending on how its made, so Id suggest testing those.
Ive been doing this diabetes thing for 22 years and certainly in the first 10-12 years the mash and the gravy would have been fine - we all respond to foods in different ways than other people and at different stages our our journey with diabetes

Reactions: Patrick66

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Carrot and Swede mash

As with all vegetables grown below ground there's more carb in them (Swede is 9% by weight, carrot 6%), they would make my BG rise. Having said that you would have to check your BG because you will be different. Sounds good though, I'll be round about 7pm, LOL.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anything mashed will raise your glucose faster. Some footballers are told to chew their food thoroughly to get a faster energy hit.

I use celeriac to top a cottage pie and I roughly mash it leaving lots of lumps.

I have to be careful with onions, I can tolerate a little.

Eat to your meter.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Almost Perfect
Personally the carrot & swede mash would spike my sugars as would gravy, depending on how its made, so Id suggest testing those.
Ive been doing this diabetes thing for 22 years and certainly in the first 10-12 years the mash and the gravy would have been fine - we all respond to foods in different ways than other people and at different stages our our journey with diabetes
Thank you.

I only suggested mash because I’m not a fan of either veg in their usual state lol. There’s nothing in the gravy in terms of carbs and sugars but I don’t have too much, it’s just a spoonful to give a different texture.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Anything mashed will raise your glucose faster. Some footballers are told to chew their food thoroughly to get a faster energy hit.

I use celeriac to top a cottage pie and I roughly mash it leaving lots of lumps.

I have to be careful with onions, I can tolerate a little.

Eat to your meter.
Certain foods I can only tolerate in mashed form. Potatoes were one of them until I stopped eating those.
I just have a single pickled onion in my salad. Just to give an extra crunch.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I made loads of mistakes when I first started. Your meter is your new best friend.

Don't beat yourself up if you spike, treat it as part of your education.

Think portion control. If you get a spike, try the same meal but half the portion.

Keeping a food diary is essential at the beginning. :)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I am trying to take on board so many helpful suggestions and have just been shopping and planning what I can eat. This is my first attempt and it is just a day menu.

Is it good ? Bad ?. I’m aiming low carb-high fat..and I’ve tried to expand, slightly, my range of foods.

Breakfast

Full fat Greek yogurt with some unsweetened cocoa powder and a couple of chopped strawberries (because I s8mply can’t stomach yogurt on its own)

Cup of tea

Mid-Morning work snack

Two small roasted chicken wings

Lunch (I’m usually a late lunch person)

Salad. Lettuce, tomato, watercress, onion, full fat cheddar cheese, cold meat

Dinner

Steak, Carrot and Swede mash, gravy.

All supplemented by water and probably two cups of tea throughout.

How does that sound ?
That all looks good as long as you are having large enough portions of the low carb stuff so that you don't feel hungry. Feeling hungry makes it difficult to keep to the diet and tends to lead to carb creep.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That all looks good as long as you are having large enough portions of the low carb stuff so that you don't feel hungry. Feeling hungry makes it difficult to keep to the diet and tends to lead to carb creep.
I might be having too large a portion of the low carb, this making it higher carb. This is a minefield lol.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a lovely deep soup bowl of home made mushroom soup and I spiked something rotten. The next night I used a cereal bowl and I was fine.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Patrick66 you are doing great. As long as you test everything you wont go wrong. Keep notes and you will build up a list of acceptable meals and after that life will be easier. All the best.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Patrick66 you are doing great. As long as you test everything you wont go wrong. Keep notes and you will build up a list of acceptable meals and after that life will be easier. All the best.
Thank you very much.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
What every one above has said. As to your question yes it sounds good to me but by eating to your meter you will be able to refine it so it's right for you.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can eat a small portion of mashed carrot and swede. You may find you’re ok too. Make sure you don’t trim any fat of the meat and maybe add the meat juices to the gravy. Fat helps slow the absorption of carbs.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @Patrick66 I gave you a winner with this meal compared to what you had been eating, this is great! Yes the mash could raise your levels, but a couple of tablespoons likely won't break the meter.....given you have enough protein and fat to go along with it. Given the limitations of your food list, feel proud of yourself for coming up with a yummy menu for the day....This is a marathon that you have entered and not a sprint as some of us like to say, so give yourself a pat on the back, enjoy, and test before your meal and two hours after to see how you get on....sometimes when we have been doing this for a while we forget how frustrating, scary, confusing it could be in the beginning and we might get a little technical with our advice....we only want to help and encourage, really. Glad you made it onto the Forum - welcome!! Blessings/L

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What every one above has said. As to your question yes it sounds good to me but by eating to your meter you will be able to refine it so it's right for you.
Thank you.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hey @Patrick66 I gave you a winner with this meal compared to what you had been eating, this is great! Yes the mash could raise your levels, but a couple of tablespoons likely won't break the meter.....given you have enough protein and fat to go along with it. Given the limitations of your food list, feel proud of yourself for coming up with a yummy menu for the day....This is a marathon that you have entered and not a sprint as some of us like to say, so give yourself a pat on the back, enjoy, and test before your meal and two hours after to see how you get on....sometimes when we have been doing this for a while we forget how frustrating, scary, confusing it could be in the beginning and we might get a little technical with our advice....we only want to help and encourage, really. Glad you made it onto the Forum - welcome!! Blessings/L
Thank you very much.

Yes it’s hard to get variety and texture because of my limitations and I don’t want to get bored so it’s trial and error.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can eat a small portion of mashed carrot and swede. You may find you’re ok too. Make sure you don’t trim any fat of the meat and maybe add the meat juices to the gravy. Fat helps slow the absorption of carbs.
My better half is going to give me her fat. She doesn’t care for it so I get that bit extra which is rather yummy.