Type 1'stars R Us

K

Knikki

There's a video showing it being inserted. Not for the squeamish, especially the bit at around 8 mins where he gets busy with an apple-corer. It's like Hannibal Lecter has developed an interest in cgm....

And remember it's got to be removed too...

There's been a couple of threads about it a while back, tim2000s found out that it was ridiculously expensive, can't recall exactly, something like £400 per month.

Plus there was only one clinic in the UK set up to do it, so it would mean regular trips tp London.

I was kinda interested in it if I was planning on doing some lengthy backpacking, but, erm, not at that price...

£400 for that????? £350 of that must be for the amount of waking around that bloke in the white coat did.

Reactions: Cumberland

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
£400 for that????? £350 of that must be for the amount of waking around that bloke in the white coat did.

They had Jonathan Demme directing the video, saying walk about a lot to build up the tension before you pounce on his arm...

It would have been the same price as libre if they hadn't gone all Hollywood with it.

Reactions: Cumberland

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Clearly, my system prefers my usual workday routine and activity level to all other variations. Either that or the stern talking to my blood sugars got before I took the letter to work to book off the time for the next consultant's appointment have stunned them into good behaviour this week.

Or they'd listened to the student I was sat next to at lunchtime today - one I know well, but who doesn't usually sit near me at lunchtime, so I warned her I had to do something to myself to take my "medicine" before I ate my lunch.. well, there was total fascination with the whole process and a tone of deep awe as she pronounced "You're VERY brave!" once I announced, "All done!" I tell you, my students with their own wonderful array of disabilities and health conditions are the absolute best at just accepting someone else's condition and whatever they need to do to keep healthy!

My regular lunchtime student, as usual, was far too engrossed with his fish and chips to take any notice whatsoever of what I did.

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Chinese and wine tonight.

That's all.

Oh and posh chocolate aero mousse. :joyful:

I was going to say snap as I’m eating cheese and wine too....then realised what you actually said.
And no posh mousse either so not snap at all!

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, great news @porl69!

Complete change of subject - I love jacket potatoes but hardly ever eat them these days as they're high GI and carb-loaded. I don't strictly low carb, but defo lower than I used to. I can't remember where I read it again lately that cooking, cooling then reheating high carb food like jacket potatoes, pasta, rice, hugely reduces the absorbable carb content, so last night I thought I'd give it a try. Admittedly I upped the fat content by adding cheese, bacon and sour cream, but - no big spike, just a gentle slide up, which I almost always experience in the evening regardless of what I eat, which I then corrected, I guess you'd call it a split bolus. Woke at 6.8 and I'm happy with that. So I think one of my favourite foods, if I cook it then reheat it, is back on the menu!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Complete change of subject - I love jacket potatoes but hardly ever eat them these days as they're high GI and carb-loaded. I don't strictly low carb, but defo lower than I used to. I can't remember where I read it again lately that cooking, cooling then reheating high carb food like jacket potatoes, pasta, rice, hugely reduces the absorbable carb content, so last night I thought I'd give it a try. Admittedly I upped the fat content by adding cheese, bacon and sour cream, but - no big spike, just a gentle slide up, which I almost always experience in the evening regardless of what I eat, which I then corrected, I guess you'd call it a split bolus. Woke at 6.8 and I'm happy with that. So I think one of my favourite foods, if I cook it then reheat it, is back on the menu!

That's one for my list to try! Well, minus the bacon being one of these vegetarians who is not, in any way, shape or form, tempted by bacon.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone woke to a hypo of 2.8 fingerprick confirmed this @7.30 treated and now 4.2 with a banging headache oh the joys i find i have more hypos in the cold weather than when its warmer anyway have a great weekend everyone whatever you may or may not be doing

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Its the same if you freeze things like bread as well. Stick it in freezer, then ideally toast it. It reduces the starch and allows some of the food to make its way to large intestine, Heres an article from The Sun, maybe not best paper but seems to make sense

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/food/6465485/freezing-white-bread-toasting-less-sugar/

Reactions: hh1
K

Knikki

Funny old world this T1D. o_O

So I have eaten the same breakfast yesterday and today roughly anyway, same content if not the same amount, plus same amount of insulin injected both days. :writer:

Yesterday around the same time yesterday sat around the 4 mark according to Etch A Sketch. Today the alarms are all going off as I'm now sat here around high 2's low 3's. :rolleyes:

Ho hum, it's not a problem as I'm doing nothing at the moment, just a couple of jelly baby's should sort it. :cat:

K

Knikki

Ok who's missing in action?????

I know @Alison54321 is around but I guess Twatter is keeping her entertained with government stuff. :rolleyes::hilarious:

But where is @kev-w ?

It's that time of year where it's acceptable to eat wall paper paste porridge and I miss the "The Porridge Sagas" :hilarious:

I'm sure there are others missingo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Reactions: porl69