LIVING WITH DIABETES TALK TO STUDENTS

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Everyone

Well went along to Swansea University today with Diabetes Consultant for the talk I mentioned in my earlier topic.

Did feel a bit nervous with about 50 students there. Consultant started with his talk, then it was me, I sat on the platform introduced myself, was asked my first question: How did you know that your son was diabetic and how did you feel at the time

and then I was away.

Could not believe that I could talk in front of so many people, but when it it close to you heart and living it, you can just reel the information off. Many questions were asked and answered and the Consultant was very pleased with my input, so a good job done. Phew! Maybe I could do this as a sideline :lol:

Also saw new DSN last week and James' HbA1c has gone back down now to 7.4.

He now needs to take on more carbs and insulin during his puberty so this is another challenge.
I must admit he seems a lot more active and confident in himself since the MDI's and at this moment is out with mates enjoying the glorious sunshine and so should I, so bye for now :wink:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Well done, well done, well done.....

sugar2

Sounds fantastic. I actually did my "presentation" that all 14 year olds had to do at achool ion diabetes...(everyone else in my class seemed to do either swimming, Wham, or Duran Duran...that ages me!) I do remember that I got more questions than any one els.

Well done, I am sure that helped thos estudents no end.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
They'll be asking you back Stoney! :)

Nigel

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well done on having the confidence to talk to all those people!! I would have been terrified!!

And well done on the HbA1c, great result :D

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Matthew1990 said:
I'd like to point out I'm a type 1 diabetic and attend Swansea University :)

Were you the T1 in the group that I spoke to then Matthew :?:

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Thanks for getting back to us on this one. Would love a few more details of questions/answers. What do students really think about diabetes? What were they least and most knowledgable about?