Freestyle libre time before activation

Johnnypy

Hello everyone. I've started using the sensor for just a little over a month now. I've been reading a lot to understand better how it works and how to make it work better since the call center guys dont know much and they just replace it for you. So for some problems I've had I have 2 sensors now on my arm. One that's just been activated and another that's brand new. If I waited 2 weeks before activating the new one, should the stick on the bandaid hold, will I get accurate readings even though I'm starting it 2 weeks late?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Why on earth would you want to stick it on 2 weeks in advance of activating it.

To me the idea of having any artificial strip stuck in me for 4 weeks without be guaranteed to be ok is a big no no...,but that’s me...

You only need to put it in 24 hours ahead of removing the old one so it settles in and is more stable for its readings...

Reactions: Knikki

Johnnypy

Long story short the one that's activated right now will get replaced because I'm havin erratic readings. However they told me to call back Monday but since the reading were so bad i decided to put on another one and remove the old one. I wanted to check one last time on the old erratic one and it seemed to actually work fine now. So after this mess made by me I got one that's apparently working fine for the last 5 hours and a new one that would get activated on 2 weeks

Reactions: kitedoc

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
How long was your first one on for when it was having erratic readings? Readings are rarely accurate for first 24 hours...

Never heard of anybody having in for two weeks before starting up so can’t help with that aspect!! Sorry..

Reactions: Knikki and kitedoc
K

Knikki

Hello @Johnnypy welcome to the forum.

Looks like you may have been unlucky with the first sensor being so erratic, however it is not unknown and sensors can/do fail on a regular basis.

As @donnellysdogs mention most who use Libre will stick it on to warm it up, as far as I know, 12 - 24 hours before activation.

Don't forget that the Libre filament is inserted into a hostile environment, which is probably why it has only a 14 day life and I'm really not sure if having in your arm for two weeks prior to activation will improve its accuracy. I think after third week it would not be good to use at all, but happy to be proven wrong.

Johnnypy

How long was your first one on for when it was having erratic readings? Readings are rarely accurate for first 24 hours...

Never heard of anybody having in for two weeks before starting up so can’t help with that aspect!! Sorry..
It was on for a little over 24 hours. Like 36 and there I've had another huge wrong result compared to the prick test.
Thanks a lot for all your help guys!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found my sensors worked best after being left for 48 hours before activation. Doing so earlier gave me some seriously low (mainly overnight!) readings.

Robbity

Johnnypy

I found my sensors worked best after being left for 48 hours before activation. Doing so earlier gave me some seriously low (mainly overnight!) readings.

Robbity
And is it still accurate the last couple of days? I'll try the 48 hour activation next time, seems like it might actually solve all of my problems!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And is it still accurate the last couple of days? I'll try the 48 hour activation next time, seems like it might actually solve all of my problems!
Definitely! For me it' s just the initial adjustment period that's erratic, so my bolshie arm now gets 48 hours to accept that its stuck with a new foreign body intruding!

Reactions: Bluetit1802