zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Hello folks,
As th title says it's been a while since I last posted, Mainly because I had been managing pretty well until March last year. I went to the doctors feeling exhausted and my legs became numb after 10 yards walking. I suspected there was a blocked artery or something. My GP took blood and did some tests. About a week later I had a call from my GP who told me I had severe anemia and that he had arranged for an iron infusion. He also said it was most likely caused by a slow bleed and that he was referring me for tests. 2 Weeks passed and I went to the local hospital for cameras both ends and a 6.5cm tumor was found. March 25th seen me in hospital for a right hemi colectomy, where they whipped out the right side of the bowel, including my appendix.

Pathology showed that the cancer hadnt breeched the bowel wall and no lymph nodes were infected, so this was brilliant news. I was however sent for 6 months 'mop up chemotherapy' during that 6 months I ate what i felt like because often when I cooked something I had to throw it out because I felt sick. I had quite a few minor and moderate side effects but these were managable. I did at one point go deaf in one ear, the doc put me on steroids and sent me to the ENT dept, fortunately it was temporary but very scarey.

I never had any of the symptooms of bowel cancer, and naturally thought it was a consequence of diabeties. One of the problems I have had since the Chemo, is I have started to put on extra weight again and of course Christmas period didnt help, despite this, my blood sugars seem to be albeit a little higher than they were they havent become a serious problem. So I am going to get back to a diet and lose some weight as I dont want to tempt fate. I still get bouts of tiredness even though I have been off the chemo for a couple of months, but my oncologist tells me this is normal.

Very sorry for the long winded post but I just wanted to let you folks know why I have been away for a while.

Cheers folks and hope you are all as well as you can be.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope you'll be back to 100% soon! Glad they found what ailed you in time!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow you have been through the mill! But it looks like you’ve come out the other end fighting. I hope your tiredness soon becomes a thing of the past

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @zaphod37 glad to hear that the cancer hadn't spread and you survived the chemo! A tough row to hoe for sure. The fatigue may be something that you will struggle with for a while, so be gentle with yourself and don't push too hard....speak from experience...trust you get back to feeling yourself soon and look forward to many happy, healthy years to come! Blessings/L

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Thanks for the replies folks, much appreciated. Tomorrow sees the low carb diet starting again, have a supply if. eggs and a loaf of Burgen, my friend got me a farmhouse cheese bomb at Christmas so I wont need to buy cheese for a while. Not going super low carb this time and setting a daily allowance of 50g should work.
I have an elderly mum whom I care for who was diagnosed with early dimentia and osteoporosis. I am in a fight to get some help from social care, they only do full care packages and they won't send anyone in to help her bathe twice a week.
Other than that I am ok. Havent had an A1c test for a long while so need to sort that out soon, so that I have a benchmark to work with.

Take care folks