Type 1 Urge to skip routine and live normal

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Love this! Read this a couple of years ago and saved it on my I pad. Amazing determination.

When I first heard about her story, I did a bit of googling and found a scanned copy of the paper they were working from.

Can't find it now, it's gone awol on the internet, but some "prepper" sites in America have copied the text, see link below.

Looks darned complicated. It's difficult to imagine what it must have been like having to inject that. Don't inject, you'll die. Inject, you'll have no idea what it'll do.

https://www.doomandbloom.net/how-to-make-insulin/

Madmaureen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
After 49 yrs type 1 I have always lived with never let diabetes rule my life I will rule it and so far ups and downs along the way have not changed the way I have always.tried to think that I am fighting it!!
Somehow it has.helped.I always say to myself "it will never.win"
Yes its hard and believe.me I should know!
Keep strong and allow yourself to fall by.the wayside.sometime.
Best wishes.

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Hi,
I have type 1 diabetes since 2 and a half years now. I stick to diet, exercise, medications and routine very strictly. But, sometimes it just feels like skipping all this just for a while and live like a normal person. I guess, many people may also have felt likewise sometimes. Just wanted to know what did you do when such thoughts crossed your mind.
Thanks,
Neeraj

I feel I actually do live like a normal person but rather than my pancreas producing insulin for what I decide to eat I just inject it instead. Fundamentally I eat what I want when I feel like eating it. Granted I don't fill myself full of pepsi colas and cheese cakes but if I fancy something sweet I will have it and just inject a little more insulin.

I can't and will not be a slave to this condition. I treat it with respect and I have been Type 1 for over 37 years. I do not see the point in having insulin if I need to analyse and problem solve every time I fancy a handful of Malteesers or a slice of lemon loaf when in Starbucks..

My emotional and mental health is equally as important as my physical and I will always allow myself a few treats throughout the week whether that be a Flake or a Pizza down the local Italian.

I use my insulin for what my pancreas used to do. If I need to inject more to allow for something I fancy eating I just do so.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My emotional and mental health is equally as important as my physical

Totally agree with that point, Kevin. We're not lab rats, so, while I do make a fair effort to stay in range as much as possible, I'm never going to say, "I'm not going to eat that because it might put me out of range". I'll play about with cgm and doses to figure how I can eat it without going too skew-whiff. If I end up with a 12 or whatever, it's not "don't eat that again", it's "3 more units next time?".

Reactions: JohnEGreen

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Totally agree with that point, Kevin. We're not lab rats, so, while I do make a fair effort to stay in range as much as possible, I'm never going to say, "I'm not going to eat that because it might put me out of range". I'll play about with cgm and doses to figure how I can eat it without going too skew-whiff. If I end up with a 12 or whatever, it's not "don't eat that again", it's "3 more units next time?".

Exactly.. Respect it but not to the point it rules your life..