Metformin & Insulin

Olympus

Just started taking metformin along with my insulin. I take one tablet at dinner and 4 units of insulin less. But I’m surprised and abit worried at the last two nights when I’ve taken it within 2 hours my bllod tests show between 2.9 and 3.5.

I know the nurse said it would help to reduce my blood count but didn’t realise it would be that low.

Will be ringing the doctors tomorrow to have a chat, but just wondered it anyone here had any advise.

All the best

Matt....

SimonCrox

Metformin can be very effective in some people and is often mixd with insulin to improve the glycaemic control and ameliorate the potential weight gain with insulin.. It sounds as if you can reduce your insulin dose a bit more.
One would aim for a reasonable dose of metformin based on renal function and tolerability, so there will probably be scope to increase the metformin and decrease the insulin a bit more once you have sorted out the present low values
Best wishes

D

Deleted Account

I can't comment on your drug combination.
However, I just want to check you have fast acting glucose (e.g. Dextrose) to treat your hypos.
If you are on insulin, you need to ensure you have this with you at all times.

ljmercer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just started taking metformin along with my insulin. I take one tablet at dinner and 4 units of insulin less. But I’m surprised and abit worried at the last two nights when I’ve taken it within 2 hours my bllod tests show between 2.9 and 3.5.

I know the nurse said it would help to reduce my blood count but didn’t realise it would be that low.

Will be ringing the doctors tomorrow to have a chat, but just wondered it anyone here had any advise.

All the best

Matt....

Hi there Matt,

I have been taking insulin and Metformin for just over a year now and it does seem like a drastic change in the first instance. The same happened to me in the beginning.

It does become less drastic the more your body gets used to the Metformin drug.

Stick with it and things will improve :)

Reactions: SimonCrox