3 different results. Which one should I log?

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
My wonderful GlucomenAreo and I will never see eye to eye. I just measured 7.4, didn't like the result and tried a different finger. Much better, 6.4, but tried a third time just for luck. No suck luck - 6.9. Alle three within one minute. Which one should I log? :sour:
P.s. Did wash and dry my hands right before testing, of course.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Personally, I'd log in the 6.9 as it is the average of the three.

Reactions: briped

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Personally, I'd log in the 6.9 as it is the average of the three.
Thanks Guzzler, I was thinking along those lines too. I think I was just being frustrated with this new meter as I feel it's unreliable. Will do the same experiment with my old Freestyle Lite and see what happens - apart from getting fingertips like a sieve.

T2_2018

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For me, it depends on what I was expecting. I sometimes get a really high, or really low result and test again because its not roughly what I was expecting and then ditch the one that didn't seem right. So in your case I would probably record the one in the middle, 6.9.

Its really frustrating that these results never feel very accurate!

K

Knikki

Yeah I would go for the middle one. sort of makes sense plus a 1 point difference is not huge in the overall scheme of things, if it was 2 or 3 point then I would have thrown the meter out.

Saying that none of them are accurate and only really designed to rough guide as to what is going on.

Saying that sort of interested in what your other meter says now.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
For me, it depends on what I was expecting.
Me too, which is why I retested. I woke up at 5:40am with a FBG of 5.2, so the 7.4 2 g of carbs and 3 hours later was quite surprising.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I will do a similar albeit very unscientific test tomorrow morning with my old meter and post here :)
The new one is a GlucomenAreo K2, so I use it for testing ketones too, but only very occasionally as the strips are very expensive. I'm wondering if I can rely on those results at all too, obviously.

K

Knikki

I will do a similar albeit very unscientific test tomorrow morning with my old meter and post here :)
The new one is a GlucomenAreo K2, so I use it for testing ketones too, but only very occasionally as the strips are very expensive. I'm wondering if I can rely on those results at all too, obviously.

Problem is, as already discussed in other posts, the meters only have to be is it 15-20% as accurate compared to the standards in the laboratory.
Being Type 1 I have used a variety of things to test how much sugar is floating around and for about 95% or more of the time I just go with the meter, especially if I have one I like.

Currently I have a Accu Check Mobile, Braun Test 5, Libre Reader, Libre Mobile App and xDrip (last two on a phone) and all of them can give different reading and can sometimes be like 3 or more points out.

Meters really are only designed to give you an idea of what's going on and I really do not think any are "that" accurate.

Sometimes it is more accurate to get blood out my finger and taste it for sugar ;)

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Meters really are only designed to give you an idea of what's going on and I really do not think any are "that" accurate.
Probably not. I was expecting a rise from the 5.2 FBG as that's my normal pattern, but I would've expected it to be late 5s or mid 6es. Anyway, I wonder how you T1s can live with that ... I mean 3 or more points out can mean a huge difference to a T1 at either the high or the low end, right? You should be able to trust a result if it says ... 4, so really that could mean either 1 or 7, if I understand you correctly. Difference between life and death, or did I misunderstand you?

K

Knikki

I'm not fully conversant with how T2's use meters but you do seem to run a much narrower 'acceptance' for how your blood sugars vary.

Fortunately it is only this new fangled tech the Libre that can be that far out, but after a while you get used to how your body works and sometimes you look at the Libre and "go that's not right" do a blood test and find out you were right :)

You get to live with these things it is not a "life or death" situation but it might lead you do something that you then have a battle later on to correct. Been there done that got the t-shirt :hilarious:

For example I had a Libre tell me I was 15.4 :wideyed: knew I was not, certainly didn't feel it, did a blood it was 10.5, still bit high but least it was not the massive correction it could have been.

As a T1D we can generally operate between 4 and 10mmol, below that is Hypo so needs some sweets etc above 10 and your into Hyper so correct with insulin if that's what you want :)

Its all fun and games :)

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I'm not fully conversant with how T2's use meters but you do seem to run a much narrower 'acceptance' for how your blood sugars vary.
Well, I do, but I think I do because I can, as opposed to many other T2s and certainly T1s. Also because I was diagnosed 14 years ago, and as you can see in my bio I haven't always been treating myself and my BG very well, and at 58 in only 6 days time, I know it's the final call, and honestly I'm amazed that apart from a little neuroptahy it would seem I don't have any of the nasty diabetes complications. I desperately want it to stay that way.
I have an old class mate who's T1 and diagnosed when she was only 5-6 years old, and even if there are some similarities there most certainly are more differences. Her BG graphs tell a tale of (in my eyes) wild spikes and lows. She's a regular customer at the local hospital, and is really worried that she will not live to see any grandchildren. Yet I'm sure she does her best to control her condition, I mean, why wouldn't she. It just seems a lot harder for a T1 to be in control of her BGs than it is for a non-insulinated (can I say that? :hilarious:) T2 - or at least for me at the moment. One day I might wisen up, but I hope not.

Fortunately it is only this new fangled tech the Libre that can be that far out, but after a while you get used to how your body works and sometimes you look at the Libre and "go that's not right" do a blood test and find out you were right :)

You get to live with these things it is not a "life or death" situation but it might lead you do something that you then have a battle later on to correct. Been there done that got the t-shirt :hilarious:

I know of the libre, as my friend uses it. It was quite a battle for her to get one on prescription too, but luckily she's an admirable fighter, so she got her way in the end.
As for being able to feel how high your BGs are that's amazing. I really can't tell the difference between 3.8 and 10, which is one reason why T2 (for me) is so sneaky. I can have a guestimate based on FBG and what I ate, but not based on how I feel, like I did this morning, and that turned out to be a bit off, but admittedly not by much. I don't go for carbs or anything, even if it's a bit low right before bed time, and by morning it's corrected itself. Piece of cake, so to speak, but again I think myself really lucky.

For example I had a Libre tell me I was 15.4 :wideyed: knew I was not, certainly didn't feel it, did a blood it was 10.5, still bit high but least it was not the massive correction it could have been.

As a T1D we can generally operate between 4 and 10mmol, below that is Hypo so needs some sweets etc above 10 and your into Hyper so correct with insulin if that's what you want :)

Its all fun and games :)

Yes, isn't it. Such an exciting life, I gather from my friend :) I'm happy if I'm in my 4s and 5s, a bit miffed if its in the 6es, and frustrated and annoyed if it goes above 7. For now I'm struggling to ditch the Victoza I'm on, as I'm worried about the long term effects, and as far as I can see those 7s don't bode well for that little project.
Ha, this friend of mine kindly offered me some of her insulin last time I ate at her place. Easy way of solving my BG controlling Low Carb regime, right? That was a no thanks from me :) I'm very likely to be insulin resistant, so I can only wonder if it would have done me any good anyway.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to return to the original question, in the days when I was testing a lot and I saw a level I was definitely not expecting, I would always do a repeat. If they varied by a lot, then a third test. For my own records I always averaged. No point in taking the lowest one as that could lead to underestimating. I would prefer to over estimate every time.

Reactions: Knikki

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its better for your sanity if you pick one meter, choose to trust it......and go from there.......the variances you observed in this instance are negligible.....

Reactions: Knikki

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Its better for your sanity if you pick one meter, choose to trust it......and go from there.......the variances you observed in this instance are negligible.....
Unfortunately the meter I distrust is the one I get free strips for now, kindly donated by the municipality of Copenhagen, Denmark, because they think they're cheaper. Well, I'm sure they are not, because every second test I have to re-do because I get an error (too little blood), but that's a different kettle of fish.
But I think Knikki is right. Many T2s tend to want to stay within a much narrower range than T1s, so I do get a little bloody minded if my body or my meter - or both, don't behave ;)

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
My trusted old Freestyle lite 5.7, 5.6 and 5.3
my new GlucomenAreo 5.6, 5.7 and 5.8
All within 5 min. so I guess that I must've been running higher yesterday for some peculiar reason, even if I had two cups of tea with a total of 26g of cream and nothing else for breakfast yesterday as well as today. Ah, well, not so important.
Interesting thing is that the GlucomenAreo's results are very close to each other today compared to yesterday. Maybe I just had a bad strip day :angelic:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My trusted old Freestyle lite 5.7, 5.6 and 5.3
my new GlucomenAreo 5.6, 5.7 and 5.8
All within 5 min. so I guess that I must've been running higher yesterday for some peculiar reason, even if I had two cups of tea with a total of 26g of cream and nothing else for breakfast yesterday as well as today. Ah, well, not so important.
Interesting thing is that the GlucomenAreo's results are very close to each other today compared to yesterday. Maybe I just had a bad strip day :angelic:

Well you can't get much closer than those results! Yes, I agree, yesterday was a one off for reasons unknown and needs to be forgotten. I'm sure we all have those days. Glad to see you are back to normal and both meters are behaving.