yoghurts and vitamin help please

Lauraann

Dislikes
chavs !!
hi all
does anyone know the best yoghurt to have when being a type 2 diabetic that is trying to lower carb intake, also any helpful suplements ( currently just taking multi vitamin and mineral tablet)
cheers
Laura

Leeds Lass

Hi Laura

My partners type 1 so not sure if this will work for you but he has Asda's own low fat Greek yoghurts, we just buy one big pot and he adds blueberrys to it. It doesn't seem to have any effect on his blood at all. He also takes multivitamina, omega 3, cod liver oil and garlic every morning. Not quite sure if they do any thing but he's in good health really so just keeps taking em!

sarah x

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Laura :) . I have noticed that as a general rule yoghurts with higher fat content have a lower carb content. The same tends to go for other foods too. That is certainly the case with Total greek yoghurt. Stay away from fruit yoghurts though. Cinnamon, which has the effect of lowering levels slightly, is delicious in yoghurt. :)

Talos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,
We have the low fat one from Aldi and sweeten it with Splenda, it has no effect on my Bg whatsoever. My best advice is to try and then test.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
I get the one from Lidl. It's in a 1kg large blue and white tub and costs £1.57!

Scrummy with low sugar jelly or a few berries. Has a carb content of 10% so is fine for low carbing.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Laura,

Lidl do a very nice low fat yogurt (1.5% fat) that isn't too high in carbs, a 100g serving has 6.2g of carbohydrate. As for vitamins, I take cod liver oil and a garlic tablet daily but try and get my vits from the food I eat.

Nigel

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
I get the large pot of Lidl Greek yogurt too. Unsweetened and very thick. Great value. You could even add some milk to it and it would still be thicker than some other supermarket yogurts.
If you havnt got a Lidl nearby then Tesco do a value 500g pot for less than 50p but it is a bit too watery for my liking. I think I've seen similar in Sainsburys basics.

Incidently, if anyone takes the yogurt drinks specifically for lowering cholesterol (e.g. as produced by Benecol) larger Tesco's now have their own brand for far less cost than the branded makes. Unfortunately they are sweetened with syrup (grrrr) and contain 16.5g per 100g.

nirishdaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
noblehead said:
Laura,

Lidl do a very nice low fat yogurt (1.5% fat) that isn't too high in carbs, a 100g serving has 6.2g of carbohydrate.

Nigel

candyfloss said:
I get the large pot of Lidl Greek yogurt too. Unsweetened and very thick. Great value. You could even add some milk to it and it would still be thicker than some other supermarket yogurts.

I mix these two together (after being recommended both on here.) absolutely yummy :D Both are also great value for money.

xyriel987

I just forgot the brand of the yogurt but i think there's a yogurt that you're looking for. I think it's on berries flavor. With supplements, try the Maxalife health natural supplements. More people who had diabetes prefer the supplements offered by Maxalife as it's proven beneficial on them. Try to research that brand of supplement.